Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My Supercharger build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran it again today to see how things are workin. I have a belt problem that I need to fix. I am having a squealing/slipping problem. I will work on it probably on Monday..thats my first free time.

But, for all those that are wondering how it feels, and whats it like. Well, here is a comparison. I was driving a couple days ago with my brother, about 180lbs, 4 rims and tires in the bed of the truck, and also myself. Not really 'loaded down', but enough weight to make a difference. Well, I can only get to about 1/2 throttle max, if that, but somwhere around there, before it starts really tweakin out. So half throttle, revved to about 3,000 RPM's, and it felt as if it did N/A @ full throttle. So, not THAT fast, but like I said, it was 'loaded', 1/2 throttle, and a WAYYYYY WRONG tune.. We'll see. I'd like to see 200 wheel horsepower when I throw it on my dyno.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:43 PM

This setup is for sale. Is 90% done, JUST NEEDS STAND ALONE.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:34 AM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
going v8?
Old 07-07-2010, 06:39 AM

Yes. This project is 90% done, just needs a stand alone and it's finished. I just dont have the will to throw another $500~ bucks at it when I could just use that money toward the V8 and be making twice the power.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
at twice the weight...i think a good 200-250 hp 22r would be rediculous, and lighter, your going to need either V6 torsion bars and torque arms or aftermarket race runner or sway away and thats 200-600 bucks on top of trying to build a good high revving small block.. already got the time n money into the 22R ide see it through but thats just me..
Old 07-07-2010, 02:25 PM

and another thought shouldnt a supercharged motor have a blow off valve or diverter valve just like a turbo? especially cuz you have your TB after the SC??? just a thought
Old 07-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
WHAT?!?!?!

all this leading up, and now selling it?

not cool
Old 07-07-2010, 07:19 PM

Yes yes yes.

I AM going to finish up the small stuff. I still haven't tweaked with the vacuum lines and/or a bypass vavle. So don't lose hope. I still have some tuning to do, but right now my biggest pain in the ass is to fix the belt squeak. Something is not aligned perfectly and is causing a nasty squeal that makes me want to punch babies.

I also need to get a boost gauge hooked up to it. I kinda think I'm making way too much boost...my math may have been wrong on the crank pulley..I think I'm making like 5lbs, maybe more, at idle....LOL. I did buy another smaller pulley, and I may have to make a new crankshaft pulley again.

But yes, motor is for sale, and I will give it away if someone buys it. But until it sells, I'll keep pluggin along.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:20 PM

and FWIW, the V8 I'm using only weighs about 120lbs more than the 22r...
Old 07-07-2010, 09:15 PM

all aluminum or sumthin? and would prolly be able to get more outta a full setup than a 90% one...maybe even enough to build ur v8
Old 07-07-2010, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by yoterr
all aluminum or sumthin? and would prolly be able to get more outta a full setup than a 90% one...maybe even enough to build ur v8
Naw, it's a iron block, aluminum head. I just tallied my reciepts up the other day for my 22re. I have a little over $1700 in PARTS under the hood. I thought I had more, but $1700 is still a decent amount. This is also NOT including the ridiculous (and I mean it) amount of hours that I have put into it, including building the motor myself, and then the design and installation of the supercharger. I would say over 150 hours to get this motor where it's at now, and it's still not finished. I was planning on getting raped for $1500 when I sold it.

Either way I look at it, it will take me a total of about $2500 to have this motor on stand alone and tuned, making in the proximity of 220CHP, which, don't get me wrong, in my 2700lb truck, would be quick enough, but I can build and install a 500HP V8 for that same amount.

I'll put it this way. I will be done modding this truck when I can spin the tires at 100mph.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:15 AM

I got it!

I got the belt probelm figured out. I got the boost figured out (although I still think It's too high). I have to get a BOV asap, because the supercharger likes to 'gobble' when I let off. This this sounds friggin sick! Whaaaa psh whhhha pshhh WAHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAA....pshh. You ever hear a turbo do what we call a turkey gobble? This is when there is no BOV, and all the pressure in the piping when you let off the throttle has to go somewhere, so it shoves back thru the exhaust fins and makes that 'gobble' sound.. well this is what is happening with the supercharged because I don't have a BOV set up. I'm supposed to be picking one up later today or a diverter valve tomorrow.

I am also having a problem of running STUPIDLY RETARDED RICH....as in, so rich, my UEGO gives me 3 blank lines...lol. I don't know why. I have a feeling the SC is pulling a ton of air thru the AFM, but it the motor really isn't getting that much air, so it just dumping fuel. I looks like a diesel when I get on it, no bueno. Any ideas? I guess, I'm happy that it's running way too rich rather than way lean, but I need to figure out how to lean it out, or trick it. I'm going to get the BOV installed and a few hoses re-routed, and then hopefully things will clear up from here.

We're getting closer.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich is a good thing right now. I would say it is because the flow in the heads is NG. You have boost pressure on the intake because the cylinders are not taking anymore so half the air is sitting in the intake (pressure). Your AFM flapper is prob full open. I would think you will have to adjust the flapper lean.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:46 PM

What do you mean by flow in the head is NG?
Old 07-09-2010, 04:26 PM

I mean that you are not always going to ram everything in the cylinder when the valve opens. In this case the supercharger is pulling in air and compressing it. In order to compress it you need more air. This air is then stored in the intake and head before entering the cylinder. Because of this the flapper style AFM is always going to show richer then what the cylinders are getting. The AFM measures flow not pressure so the ECU can not correct for this properly. The ECU needs to know the flow into the intake and also the pressure to make some kind of educated guess as to how much is going in the cylinder.

You only have one intake valve per cylinder so you are not getting much in there each stroke so the AFM will be telling a major lie to the ECU. Major rich.

I wonder if putting the flapper after the compressor would work better? This would then take the pressure problem out of the equation some of the time. The pressure would be the same on both sides of the flapper so then it will just be measuring flow like it was designed.

Just a thought....

Last edited by Flash319; 07-09-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:32 AM

here it is as of today. just snapped these pictures. The truck is haulin some ass right now. I've got my first dyno run in 3 weeks. I'm going to be tuning and toying with it between now and then, and hopefully on this stock ecu i'll get 200. we'll see.

Ps. the engine bay is pretty dirty. I don't really care about it now while tuning it, once hp is set in I'll make it look pretty.

thanks all for input, support, and help.

Last edited by Erik Beeman; 07-12-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 PM

First decent video. This is 3rd gear pull, 1/2 throttle OR LESS. Can't go over half because it drops lean.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
SO MUCH WIN.
It just sounds soooo cooooool
Old 07-13-2010, 12:37 PM

HOLY POOP that sounded good... totally just made my day
Old 07-13-2010, 02:53 PM

Where is bleeder dude? He needs to here this.

Quick Reply: My Supercharger build thread.