86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

my latest project

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Targetnut
Yea I know, I wish I had a lot more experience welding so that I could make it look pretty too. But so far it is all pretty solid. The last shot inside the bellmouth you are looking at the Inside of the welded material and so far I have not encountered any porosity So it should be strong. I'm going to grind the outside as well to make it look better.
Yeah, my custom exaust manifolds look EXACTLY the same lol and those are steel. I figure hey, as long as it dosnt leak who the hell cares?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by BC_4runner
Yeah, my custom exaust manifolds look EXACTLY the same lol and those are steel. I figure hey, as long as it dosnt leak who the hell cares?
Well after you fab you have a couple of choices , build 'em up and grind'em out or you can use a very durable filler and fill it in and then paint it up ................
But like you guys said , you fabbed it , as long as it does what you want and you created it thats cool !
Old 10-14-2007, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by n4ynu1010
I just want to know ..........was he good to eat !
You know, when I hit that deer and got out of my truck to view the damage, I was just sick, I never even went to look at the deer. In fact another motorist pulled it out of the road. plus I hit it so hard, I don't figure there was much usable meat left.

today I worked on smoothing things out

Old 10-14-2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Targetnut
You know, when I hit that deer and got out of my truck to view the damage, I was just sick, I never even went to look at the deer. In fact another motorist pulled it out of the road. plus I hit it so hard, I don't figure there was much usable meat left.

today I worked on smoothing things out

You know where I come from when we kill it , we eat it , whether death is by gun (black powder or standard), bow or motor vehicle its going home
Old 11-02-2007, 06:36 PM

I'm still working on it

I have been working on matching the port flow with the manifold attached. I did this before I welded on the plenum so that any change that need to be made, could.

Last weekend I went to a pick-n-pull and procured a airflow sensor from a 1986 supra. this one is about 50% larger than my stock one and has "guts" that will allow for an easy swap from my old sensor. I also got the injectors from that same car. It turns out that they are the low resistance variety, but should work with the additions of some resitors to bring up the total resistance. I thoroughly cleaned and flow checked the injectors, and got them so that they have a very good spray pattern and flow within 1%-2% of each other.

Today I welded on the plenum.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is quite possibly the ugliest manifold ever (the load of welds) but i vote you keep it and dont grind it smooth... it just looks so funny .
Oh and nice work with the flowbench... i wonder what kind of performance #'s it's going to give you.. i cant wait to see.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:11 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Maybe because it's like my kid, It sure looks good to me.

I've been flip-flopping over the grind smooth issue. Right now I'm inclined to grind it smooth. I'll probably change my mind two or three more times though.

One concern I have is that it'll flop. The numbers say big power, but the dynamics involved may bite me.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grind Smooth!
Old 11-03-2007, 05:17 PM

Today I welded the flange for the throttle on

I also planed the gasket surfaces of the lower manifold which were warped by the heat from welding. The penum is going to have to be milled at the machine shop as there is to much material to be removed by hand.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:57 PM

i dig it! definitely grind smooth and get a svelt 22re decal for it or something. looks great. cant wait to see how the numbers turn out too. how far away are you from cranking it over?
Old 11-03-2007, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by idayota
how far away are you from cranking it over?
I'm thinking two or three more weeks.

After I figured out how much airflow increase I was getting I realized that I was going to have to upgrade that fuel delivery and injection.

as I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, I have alresdy got a oversized AFM and injectors.

I also just got a bigger fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and 3/8" stainless fuel line.

I also am waiting for fittings and hose that I ordered.

this week when the rest of the parts get here I am going to replace the fuel pump and plumb it up with the larger fuel line and adjustable regulator.

then likely the next week I will get the AFM and injectors on so that I can get that "dialed in" before I get the head and manifold on.

in the meantime I'll be working on the other details of the manifold, like getting the vacuum fittings and egr hooked up. and getting the head and plenum milled.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:29 PM

dude for the love of GOD grind that down...that looks awful. good owrk otherwise
Old 11-04-2007, 02:09 PM

OK, I smoothed it out

Old 11-04-2007, 02:10 PM

pix dont work^^
Old 11-04-2007, 03:56 PM

Yea, I know,

While I was waiting for the webservice to get the pics uploaded I went ahead and made the post,

Well it seems there are some technical difficulties

I'll get the pics up as soon as I can.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
good work

nice job, i really think your inspired and very inventive.

dont sweat the welds for now, focus on functionality and someday you will have others do your welding for you. (they will line up).
otherwise, (and this is pure theory) why not install cooling vents over the welds.

it looks like its melting, but cooling vents/fins (like on differentials) have never been seen on intake or exhaust pipes yet (why not? dont we get more power from cooler motors?)

were all fallowing you on your route, and i am eager to see your rewards. (when i ported my bmw, i just did the port matching/ honing and very minimal on the intake side (it pools and suffers from dead spots if its too smooth ). the exhaust side is polished to a mirror though.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by idanity
nice job, i really think your inspired and very inventive.

dont sweat the welds for now, focus on functionality and someday you will have others do your welding for you. (they will line up).
otherwise, (and this is pure theory) why not install cooling vents over the welds.

it looks like its melting, but cooling vents/fins (like on differentials) have never been seen on intake or exhaust pipes yet (why not? dont we get more power from cooler motors?)

were all fallowing you on your route, and i am eager to see your rewards. (when i ported my bmw, i just did the port matching/ honing and very minimal on the intake side (it pools and suffers from dead spots if its too smooth ). the exhaust side is polished to a mirror though.
thank you for the encouragement. Once the pics are working you'll get to see the smoother product. Cooling fins would be, well, cool, except for the under hood heat would make them into warming fins

There will be plenty more posts on this thread
Old 11-05-2007, 03:35 AM

Awsome project you have going there. Is the welding difficult to do??? I always wanted to learn how to weld alluminum.

I bet you eninge runs amazing after your all done.

Good luck with the rest of the project.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

Okay, I am VERY intrigued, it looks like good work so far!! Congrats, I just cant wait to see the grinded pictures. lol.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by nate V
Awsome project you have going there. Is the welding difficult to do??? I always wanted to learn how to weld alluminum.

I bet you eninge runs amazing after your all done.

Good luck with the rest of the project.
Welding aluminum is very different. It takes some getting use to, I'm thinking eventually I'll get the hang of it!

And I really hope after all this work it does run like I hope it will

Like a scalded dog

Quick Reply: my latest project