Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Is my 4runner using that much oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what about going to 20w-50? my mechanic said back then, that is what they used to run in all of them. what do you all think? could it help?

what about that stuff called slick 50? engine restore? anybody ever use it?

he said the only other option is to go in the engine and rebuild it. to be honest with you that is what i would really like to do. that way i know it is good!! what all is entailed with that?
Old 08-21-2006, 12:58 PM

I've noticed a wierd phenomena that happens after every oil change on my '95 pickup with the 3.0 V6.

I'll put in 4.8 or 5 quarts per the manual. It'll be full after driving, but within 500 miles I'll be down about 1/2 a quart. Then I'll add the 1/2 quart, and I'm good for the next 2000 miles, when I might need to add another 1/2 quart. It's very odd. Happens every oil change. Some have suggested the filter is absorbing oil, but I don't think it absorbs that much!

MadCityRich
Old 08-21-2006, 01:24 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
How many miles are on your engine?

Mine burns about 1 qt to a half a quart between trips to the gas station. I know that it's my rings not sealing well because the head is rebuilt.

Have someone stand behind your truck while they watch you drive away. I've tried that before and people can barely see a blue haze. I can also smell it if I'm really heavy on the throttle or lugging.

A little oil consumption is the price we pay. Most engines of different manufacturers that get to the same mileage of the average 22re on Yotatech have alot more issues than burning a little oil.

You can always change your oil more frequently, it's cheap insurance.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by RustBucket
How many miles are on your engine?

Mine burns about 1 qt to a half a quart between trips to the gas station. I know that it's my rings not sealing well because the head is rebuilt.

Have someone stand behind your truck while they watch you drive away. I've tried that before and people can barely see a blue haze. I can also smell it if I'm really heavy on the throttle or lugging.

A little oil consumption is the price we pay. Most engines of different manufacturers that get to the same mileage of the average 22re on Yotatech have alot more issues than burning a little oil.

You can always change your oil more frequently, it's cheap insurance.
I currently have 139,xxx miles on the truck right now. the engine was rebuilt back in 2003 from what the previous owner has told me. I honestly think it is my rings not sealing well too. I did notice the other morning that I saw "exhaust" in my wife's headlights when I was driving in front of her going to the exhaust shop. this was only when i was going from a complete stop and saw it several times. i thought it could have been from the headers but wasn't sure. is that an indicator of my rings not sealing well? do i need to get it rebuilt. i know it wasn't rebuilt by toyota so if i do get it rebuilt, i know for sure it will be done right this time. is it worth it?

so what about 20w-50 anybody? good idea?
Old 08-21-2006, 05:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by whitetaco02
what about going to 20w-50? my mechanic said back then, that is what they used to run in all of them. what do you all think? could it help?

what about that stuff called slick 50? engine restore? anybody ever use it?
From what Kyle_22r said, 20-50w was the oil Toyota called for way back in the early 80's, although my 84 recommends 10-30. It would be worth a shot anyway.

I talked to my local machinist about Engine Restorer and he said that's the only stuff he would add to the crankcase besides motor oil. I know I've recommended it to others and it has almost always curbed all oil consumption. If the majority of the oil is leaking past the valve seals, then it may not work very well as it's geared towards ring seal.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by 84sr5yoty
From what Kyle_22r said, 20-50w was the oil Toyota called for way back in the early 80's, although my 84 recommends 10-30. It would be worth a shot anyway.

I talked to my local machinist about Engine Restorer and he said that's the only stuff he would add to the crankcase besides motor oil. I know I've recommended it to others and it has almost always curbed all oil consumption. If the majority of the oil is leaking past the valve seals, then it may not work very well as it's geared towards ring seal.
i am going to go with 20w-50 and see if it solves anything. i will see if that helps. i heard it will be noisier when i start it up though but once it settle over everything it should quiet down hopefully.

what all am i looking at to get the engine rebuilt? costs for parts? etc...
Old 08-21-2006, 09:26 PM

did you mention what your current milage is, mpg that is? i had an old yoter that burned one quarter per gas tank. but the thing got 32-34 mpg, no sh^t. i decided that it was more economical keep a case of cheap oil in the bed than to rebuild. drove it like that forever. just more food for thought.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:06 AM

my mpg is very very bad. i don't think i can go 200 miles on a tank of gas. i have an automatic so i am not sure if that has anything to do with it. i have not tried to calcualte it but i know my gas mileage is really really bad!!!!!!!!!!!