Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Local Toyota dealership offers remanufactured clutch and pressure plate only?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 05:44 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 4runner_guy
Returned the Marlin clutch and went ahead and got the ASCO clutch kit from ebay for $85 shipped to my door. Saved nearly $115...now I can use that money for my DIY soft top using an FJ40 bikini top..YAY!
Argh, damn USPS messed up on the shipment and will have to ship out my clutch on monday....that literally sucks.
You should have quit while you were ahead.

:wabbit2:
Old 07-10-2011, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
You should have quit while you were ahead.

:wabbit2:
Well, it really bums me out but I guess it is what it is. Just have to be patient.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Awesome pics man Where is your new pressure plate? Also, did your flywheel surfacer guy give you any information on the stepping he used?

It's always nice getting new parts for the rig Christmas can be whenever you want it to be hahaha

BigMike

EDIT:
Argh, damn USPS messed up on the shipment and will have to ship out my clutch on monday....that literally sucks.
ahhhhhhh I C

Last edited by BigMike; 07-11-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by BigMike
Awesome pics man Where is your new pressure plate? Also, did your flywheel surfacer guy give you any information on the stepping he used?

It's always nice getting new parts for the rig Christmas can be whenever you want it to be hahaha

BigMike

EDIT:

ahhhhhhh I C
No, I didn't ask the guy, would it be crucial to know the info about that? The new pressure plate is coming with the new clutch kit: Throwout bearing, pilot bearing, pressure plate, clutch alignment tool, and clutch disc.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:53 AM

No, not crucial and you don't need to ask if he didn't specify. The book calls for 0.020" step but we've found we can go all the way to 0.028" step and still have engagement of the clutch. This is how we do clutch installs here. What this does it is moves the release point closer to the floor so that you can get more useable miles out of the clutch as well as prolonging the number of miles where the clutch disc will see the highest possible clamping forces from the pressure plate. I'm sure the guy did it to the Toyota book, otherwise he would have said something about it - which would get my pretty excited!

Regards,
BigMike

Last edited by BigMike; 07-11-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:29 PM

Guess what finally came in through the mail:

Quick question, I forgot which side the clutch disc goes in, does the flat side of the disc go on the surface of the flywheel or is it the opposite?

**Edit**

Ok, so I went ahead and installed the clutch disc facing the flat side against the pressure plate and proceeded to install everything else...man, it was a total b***** to put the transmission in with the engine lift! (Was easy taking out but installing it back in was another story.) Finally got it in with the help of my GF cranking on the crank pulley to spin the flywheel to allow us to align the input shaft into the flywheel. Torqued the tranny bolts to 53 lbs and the stiffener bolts to 27 lbs.

Greased the front shaft slip yoke, installed it and installed the rear drive shaft as well. After that was done, it was time to install the new starter, then the electrical components and the negative battery terminal! The clutch was soft so we had to bleed the lines again but once after we bled them, boy it was stiff and I need to adjust the pedal travel later cause it was too low.

After a few cranks, the truck fired up, pressed the clutch down and shifted through all the gears like butter, thanks to the Redline MT-90 oil of course . Drove the truck home afterwards cause my truck has been sitting at the GF's place for a whole entire week waiting for parts to come in but all in all, it drives SOOOO much better than when I first got her. I hope to drive her for the next 150k until this new clutch wears down *Fingers-crossed*. Thanks for the much needed help here fellas! Just need to let her break in for 500-1,000 miles to really unleash the truck's full potential. Until then happy trails.

Last edited by 4runner_guy; 07-12-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:23 AM

Bump TTT!
Old 07-12-2011, 06:06 AM

Sounds great man, nice work with everything!

Regards,
BigMike
Old 07-12-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by BigMike
Sounds great man, nice work with everything!

Regards,
BigMike

Thanks BigMike for all the help and support, much appreciated sir!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:27 AM

No problem bud It sucks when you try to stab the transmission and it doesn't go the first, second, fourth, sixth time and your arms start turning into spaghetti. Trany jacks sure come in handy when your truck is up on a lift, or with a creeper I'll use my knees and legs to help out. Some times I'll get it the first time, straight in. Other times I'll have to set the trans down and take a break