Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Is it just me?!! Toyota Reliability/reputation

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you're NOT gonna buy a Nissan .....RIGHT?
Old 02-16-2013, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fordless
The number is the BAR rating or the pressure which the cap much reach before venting pressure to the reservoir. Pick up a new 0.9 BAR cap and see if that helps some of your symptoms.
Thanks, i'll do that. I figured it was a BAR rating.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA
96 nissan is a bit different than the 27 year old toyota your crying about!! if you got no SERVICE history then whos to say what happened when and how???
Originally Posted by Bigblock
So you're NOT gonna buy a Nissan .....RIGHT?
Yeah i'm good. It will be nice to know what is under the hood after the redo.

Like i said before, i do love my yota.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:07 PM

In the other thread on the motor stuff https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post52043159 I received the same suggestion on the radiator cap. I had the wrong 1.1 bar (16 psi) cap that came with the radiator. So i put the old 0.9 bar 13 psi one back on till i can get to the store.

Its looking like i might not have to do a rebuild at all!
I guess i have just been looking forward to some wrenching after all! I have been meaning to get to know this truck better. I have just been so darn busy.

Im beginning to understand why we love these trucks so much! glad it may not be the HG.

Last edited by kirkerik; 02-16-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fordless
The number is the BAR rating or the pressure which the cap much reach before venting pressure to the reservoir. Pick up a new 0.9 BAR cap and see if that helps some of your symptoms.
Cool! Thanks. I got the old 0.9 bar 13psi one on there now. When i get to town ill get a new 13 psi one.

I bet this will help
Old 02-16-2013, 08:55 PM

I'm responding to the original post, I know the thread has moved on some what and it seems as though you have gotten some resolution. If nothing else consider this a free bump.
The 22re is bullet proof, period. You said the PO had the head gasket replaced, and if I'm frank, then bad luck for him. The 22re does not have a reputation for blowing head gaskets, it happens yes, but not at all frequently.

Maybe, just maybe, the worst happens and you figure out that you have to replace the head gasket. I would not under any circumstances blame that on the engineering of Toyota. (and before you think I'm a Toyota fan boy... the 3.0 is a horrible engine, Kia makes better stuff) Who knows what the PO but in there for a gasket, it might be a Toyota OME one, it could be a budget autoparts store one cut out of scrap cardboard. He might have had the head planed he might have just removed it, did a mediocre job of cleaning and bolted stuff back together.
Mine ran... is actually still running to 370,000. The only reason it's not still racking up the miles is because the rear end of the truck is smashed in.
This would be the 3rd one I've had, I sold the last at 266,000 and running strong, the first was in a camry, which I believe is well past the 500k mark, rusted to @$@ but still running.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
I will have to agree with Craig'er... I just went and test drove a 93 Toyota Land Cruiser with 359,000 miles on it. It had been sitting for 6 months prior to me test driving it. This thing had been beat and neglected for its entire life. Everything was rusted and cracked, missing mirrors, wires sticking out of the fuse panel, no door handles worked,seats and interior had a layer of sticky goo on it, etc etc. I mean abused. So I stuck a fresh battery in it, turned the key and vrrom! fired up like a champ on the first try. THAT my friends is toyota reliability and its reputation. I didnt buy because the guy didnt have the title (his soon to be ex-wife has it!!) and he wouldnt come down in price for how much work it needed.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Craig'er
I'm responding to the original post, I know the thread has moved on some what and it seems as though you have gotten some resolution. If nothing else consider this a free bump.
The 22re is bullet proof, period. You said the PO had the head gasket replaced, and if I'm frank, then bad luck for him. The 22re does not have a reputation for blowing head gaskets, it happens yes, but not at all frequently.

Maybe, just maybe, the worst happens and you figure out that you have to replace the head gasket. I would not under any circumstances blame that on the engineering of Toyota. (and before you think I'm a Toyota fan boy... the 3.0 is a horrible engine, Kia makes better stuff) Who knows what the PO but in there for a gasket, it might be a Toyota OME one, it could be a budget autoparts store one cut out of scrap cardboard. He might have had the head planed he might have just removed it, did a mediocre job of cleaning and bolted stuff back together.
Mine ran... is actually still running to 370,000. The only reason it's not still racking up the miles is because the rear end of the truck is smashed in.
This would be the 3rd one I've had, I sold the last at 266,000 and running strong, the first was in a camry, which I believe is well past the 500k mark, rusted to @$@ but still running.
Sorry to hear 'bout the rear end. Wow that's a lot o miles
Originally Posted by bone collector
I will have to agree with Craig'er... I just went and test drove a 93 Toyota Land Cruiser with 359,000 miles on it. It had been sitting for 6 months prior to me test driving it. This thing had been beat and neglected for its entire life. Everything was rusted and cracked, missing mirrors, wires sticking out of the fuse panel, no door handles worked,seats and interior had a layer of sticky goo on it, etc etc. I mean abused. So I stuck a fresh battery in it, turned the key and vrrom! fired up like a champ on the first try. THAT my friends is toyota reliability and its reputation. I didnt buy because the guy didnt have the title (his soon to be ex-wife has it!!) and he wouldnt come down in price for how much work it needed.
Another testament to yota reliability!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 AM

Red face My apologies...

Sorry all for coming on too strong with questioning yotas reliability. That probably pushed some of you folks buttons. I actually was not the one who edited the title of this thread to reliability/reputation, but i guess that's what i was doing sorry.

Did not mean to do that. I was just pissed. Ive been very busy lately. But im all good now.

I DO love my yota.

Thanks for all your support and diagnostic help. Yotatech forums rocks!

Last edited by kirkerik; 02-17-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:10 PM

Its been a couple of days with the new rad cap (13psi) and the trucks symptoms have disappeared!! Its now holding coolant and it took a little from the overflow tank. So it seems to be working well.

I am so glad! What a releif. Now i can plan an overhaul at a reasonable time. But its running great.

Thanks to all for your help!