Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Its baaack - 7mge VAFM swap for the 3vze!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 04:44 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by OCMike
Southern California here. Tons of junkyards around. Got a few cressidas at two closer yard that I'll hit tomorrow.
must be nice.... Around here if a Toyota makes it way to the junkyard, its like a gold rush. Basically, when I found the 7mge afm and coil, I had to rent the tools from a stranger, and run back to the car. lol
As for the coil, its a minimal gain. I did an afm swap on another truck and didn't do the coil. Still had lots of performance gain.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up 3 7mge AFMs at the junkyard today. I'll be using one for my 4Runner and the other 2 are going up for sale. I also picked up an ignition coil and may go back tomorrow for 2-3 others that I saw.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:01 PM

I picked up 3 7mge AFMs at the junkyard today. I'll be using one for my 4Runner and the other 2 are going up for sale. I also picked up an ignition coil and may go back tomorrow for 2-3 others that I saw.

WOW!!!

good luck with the swap. report back how it goes
Old 05-26-2013, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by bone collector
WOW!!!

good luck with the swap. report back how it goes
Thanks! I can't wait to get working on this. I can't go too overboard, since this is California. I may keep the ISR attached though, and do those tiny filters on the other to lines like you have. I'll have to run over to the parts store and grab a 3" to 2.5" hose adapter.

Photo of my junkyard score today:

Last edited by OCMike; 05-26-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:21 PM

I plan on heading to the junk yard tomorrow to find one myself. Simple mod just wondering what others have found as far as adjustments to the cog.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:29 AM

I seriously miss all the scrap yards in Cali. I'm in North-East Florida now and every yota I find has been picked bare. Drives me crazy.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Guie04
I seriously miss all the scrap yards in Cali. I'm in North-East Florida now and every yota I find has been picked bare. Drives me crazy.
A lot of the 4runners are picked pretty clean here also. I've been looking for that door panel for over a year. Couldn't believe my eyes when I finally saw a grey interior in the yard, where someone hadn't ripped off the panel just to get to the window parts.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:24 AM

Got one installed yet???
Old 05-28-2013, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the benefit of the Supra coil over the stock pickup coil?

I'm gonna have to go to the junkyard soon. I keep reading these AFM swap threads. I'll have to pull the trigger and actually do it myself.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:24 AM

Got one installed yet???
Not yet. I'm running into some problems with what I want to do. I'm trying to keep it as close to stock as possible. That means I may have to modify the top of the stock air box so the 7mge afm fits. I gotta run to the junkyard again and pick up an air box cover that I perform surgery on.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:41 PM

Not yet. I'm running into some problems with what I want to do. I'm trying to keep it as close to stock as possible. That means I may have to modify the top of the stock air box so the 7mge afm fits. I gotta run to the junkyard again and pick up an air box cover that I perform surgery on.
I will be interested in the results
Old 05-30-2013, 08:04 PM

I am planing to do the same thing! please tell me how it goes and take some pics while you are at it
Old 05-31-2013, 01:30 PM

On the back burner for right now. I have some vibration, hopefully just the u-joint, and some oil in the air box. Taking it in to get those taken care of and having a panhard drop bracket installed. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll get to work on the afm mod.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:40 PM

On the back burner for right now. I have some vibration, hopefully just the u-joint, and some oil in the air box. Taking it in to get those taken care of and having a panhard drop bracket installed. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll get to work on the afm mod.
maintenance issues are important just not very exciting. I have a set of brakes calling (squealing??) my name before too long as well. hurry up and get that stuff done so you can get on to the fun stuff!! good luck!!
Old 06-01-2013, 02:04 PM

I hear ya. I'd much rather be spending my money on mods and upgrades instead of maintainence issues.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:37 PM

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I've got the 7mge AFM and Spectre air intake. Put breather filters on the air pipes that come off the air box. Set timing to 15 degrees.

The truck runs, but it pings ever so slightly and makes a loud gurgling/knocking sound (not sure if it's actually knocking, I've never had my truck knock before!) when idling. It responds well when I press on the gas, but the noises at idle have me worried. I haven't touched the idle speed screw on the TB or the airflow bypass screw on the AFM. Anyone experience this and know what adjustments to make? I'm so close... I want it to run like a top!
Old 06-18-2013, 02:59 AM

the gurgling sound you hear is coming from the 2 small breather filters you put on the pipes that went into the airbox. those pipes are connected to the pair valve. what you are hearing is the pair valve opening and closing. kinda sounds like a bad duck call. once i eliminated the egr/pair combo those noises went away. but since your in california im guess the egr delete is not an option. just think of the noise as an accelerator enhancement....lol
Old 06-18-2013, 03:06 AM

As for tuning the truck...start with the air idle bypass screw on the afm. make the truck run smooth and crisp at all rpm ranges. then move the tb idle screw so the idle is back to stock (750) then check the timing. you may have to do this several times. once you think you have it set, take it for a test drive to see how it acts. Dont be afraid to make small adjustments again after you test drive it. my truck has a warm idle of 550 and the timing is 16 ish degrees. dont get caught up in specific numbers just make it run well. 2 thoughts.... the best way to tune it would be to install a wideband o2 sensor and gauge and use the readings from that to get maximum peformance. and.... you did move the fuel wheel right?? good luck and enjoy

Last edited by bone collector; 06-18-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:44 AM

the gurgling sound you hear is coming from the 2 small breather filters you put on the pipes that went into the airbox. kinda sounds like a bad duck call.
LOL! That's the sound. It was late, and I was too afraid my tired/jet lagged mind (just got back from Cambodia a few days ago) was misinterpreting the sound. It sounded kinda like a V8 muscle car gurgle, so that makes sense. I guess that's what all those boxes on the old air box were for, to reduce noise!

I did move the cog, 6 clicks right (counter-clockwise). I'll just fine tune it again this evening and play around with it then. I remember reading that I'll need to tighten the screw on the AFM, not loosen? I'm really excited to test drive this thing now, I've only revved it in the parking lot so far. I do all my engine work/mods in the middle of my apt. parking lot, surprised my manager hasn't said anything yet!
Old 06-19-2013, 05:58 AM

So how is it? i know you have driven it..... thoughts??

Quick Reply: Its baaack - 7mge VAFM swap for the 3vze!