See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Interior and dome lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We here at Alldatadiy.com have wiring and repair information at your fingertips to assist you with issues!!! Good Luck on your goal to fix your issue!!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Your welcome RAD4Runner.. Dont always here back about the fixes. Thanks for responding back.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm going to pile onto this thread too...my 87 4runner SR5's dome and mirror lights all stopped working.

But, my "key in ignition" buzzer still works.

And, my door lights (when you open a door and the ligth on the inside of the door panel lights up to warn other drivers) work fine.

Bulbs are OK - just won't turn on.

I feel like before it happened I tried plugging in a regular plug into the SR5 service light plug found near the dimmer switch - anyone know if they are related - maybe I shorted something out in my moment of idiocy?

Really want to figure this out but am pretty worthless when it comes to chasing electrical stuff (I do have a multimeter!).

Phil
Old 08-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I have seen pics of the light that warns other drivers that you are out but never seen or worked on one. The only suggestion I could say is to check the plug that comes down the windshield post and eventually comes out near the bottom. Make sure it is still hooked up. When you find that plug, I would start my electrical checks there.

The dome and mirror light do eventually connect just above the drivers visor if I recall right. No sense in pulling that part out, but would suggest pulling the mirror assembly out to get access to the plug on the mirror and if you meter will reach the plug by the fuse box/coming down thru the windhsield post and see what you have as far as resisitance checks. Best that I can offer, maybe someone else can help you.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Yamiryder
I'll have to keep digging. I cant find any blown fuses or disconnected wires
Yamiryder,
To make sure you're digging in the right places, the first thing to dig for is is the schematic. Have you already? Link to FSM's on my signature.

One important reason we work on our own rig and compare notes is so we know exactly what is going on, exactly what fixed our problems, what did not, so we do not have to take others' (especially stealers') word for it, and we just don't say "got lucky and problem's gone somehow", because if the latter's the case, that problem will somehow come back in the worst of times . Understanding the schematic will help us do that. I myself do not know many things; just learn just one system as needed at a time. Also good exercise for dealing with future problems.

Best wishes & please keep us posted.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 08-24-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
I have seen pics of the light that warns other drivers that you are out but never seen or worked on one. The only suggestion I could say is to check the plug that comes down the windshield post and eventually comes out near the bottom. Make sure it is still hooked up. When you find that plug, I would start my electrical checks there.

The dome and mirror light do eventually connect just above the drivers visor if I recall right. No sense in pulling that part out, but would suggest pulling the mirror assembly out to get access to the plug on the mirror and if you meter will reach the plug by the fuse box/coming down thru the windhsield post and see what you have as far as resisitance checks. Best that I can offer, maybe someone else can help you.
Thanks Terry! Pulled the visor and headliner back to find the wire, which runs down the pillar and....what do you know?....it wasn't plugged in! Found the end, hidden inside the kick panel...was hidden by a bunch of alarm wiring. Here is a photo of the two plugs:

Name:  20120824_171417.jpg
Views: 4433
Size:  153.3 KB

Dome and map lights all work now
Old 08-26-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Philbert
Thanks Terry! Pulled the visor and headliner back to find the wire, which runs down the pillar and....what do you know?....it wasn't plugged in! Found the end, hidden inside the kick panel...was hidden by a bunch of alarm wiring. Dome and map lights all work now
Sweet that you found it!
Old 09-15-2012, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought I'd make a little update. Messed with my main fuse box and something must have been loose. Now my door buzzer and dome lights work!