Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

IFS Steering Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
if it's got a lot of miles on it, then sure, anything's possible, lol

the Monroe is exactly what I put on mine; the one pictured above worked fantastic
Old 05-19-2011, 07:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i am replacing mine seeing how it was only 15 bucks through my work, but im wondering what fluid it uses? does it just have its own fluid inside it?
Old 05-19-2011, 07:27 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Has anyone considered a return to center stabilizer.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:28 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/wago...eringstab.html
Old 06-28-2020, 07:26 AM

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Reviving this ancient thread.

I’m looking at doing a diesel swap on my 2nd gen 4Runner. Part of the requirements for the swap are deleting the steering stabilizer for the oil pan. I have been told that as long as your steering is otherwise in good working order, the stabilizer delete is no big deal. What do you guys think? Would you avoid the diesel swap if it required a steering stabilizer delete?

Do modern Tacomas and 4Runners even have a steering stabilizer?

Last edited by bigwill837; 06-28-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:50 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts

Toyota put steering stabilizers on all of these trucks, even the 2 Wheel Drive Trucks. I think Toyota would not have included them if they were not a big deal to leave off.

I don't think the newer Tacomas and 4Runners have them, however they have rack and pinion steering, and our older trucks and 4Runners have linkage type steering.

The following users liked this post:
millball (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota

Toyota put steering stabilizers on all of these trucks, even the 2 Wheel Drive Trucks. I think Toyota would not have included them if they were not a big deal to leave off.

I don't think the newer Tacomas and 4Runners have them, however they have rack and pinion steering, and our older trucks and 4Runners have linkage type steering.

Yes, obviously Toyota intended to include a steering stabilizer on the truck. I would like to keep the steering stabilizer. But the question is - Would you skip the diesel swap if it required removing the steering stabilizer? Is deleting the steering stabilizer a deal-breaker? Have you ever driven an IFS truck without it?
Old 06-28-2020, 01:57 PM

Received 823 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by yoterr
lol, you can take it off but note that when offroad KEEP YOUR THUMBS OUT OF THE STEERING WHEEL cuz now you dont have a dampner [sic] to keep the steering wheel from doing a 180 in a snap
Originally Posted by bigwill837
... Is deleting the steering stabilizer a deal-breaker? ...
A thumb breaker?

I've never driven my truck without it, so I can't speak from personal experience. But if that concerns you, why don't you take it off now and drive around? That still may not be a fair test. What you should worry about is hitting a pot-hole at freeway speed, and then be unable to get control of the steering wheel whipping back and forth. That would make for a (very short) interesting day.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
A thumb breaker?

I've never driven my truck without it, so I can't speak from personal experience. But if that concerns you, why don't you take it off now and drive around? That still may not be a fair test. What you should worry about is hitting a pot-hole at freeway speed, and then be unable to get control of the steering wheel whipping back and forth. That would make for a (very short) interesting day.
Pulling the stabilizer for testing is a great idea! Thanks.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:13 PM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
A thumb breaker?
When I bought my 4Runner, I took it out to work to 1) show it off, and 2) get any advice from "the guys" they might have for off-roading in the desert we lived in.
One of the main things everyone who'd driven off-road in our area drilled into me was to keep my thumbs OUT of the steering wheel. On-road, off-road, it didn't matter.
I had a good steering stabilizer, since I had changed it out shortly after I bought the truck, along with the rest of the shocks. It took us quite a bit of effort, and time with the oxy-acetaline set, coupled with a LOT of BFH adjustments, to get it off, but we finally did. The new one went in easily, thankfully.
After that, I took it off-road around the site I worked at, and I learned fast why to keep my thumbs out. I had done some off-roading already, with a 75 Chevy Luv I had owned before the 4Runner, but nothing major. Mostly dirt roads near Glamis. Only major thing I did was drive out onto a sand-bar in the Colorado river, and promptly get it buried up to the pumpkins. First day I owned it, naturally I had to walk across the river (it almost came up to my waist) and home to call a tow truck to come pull my silly butt out. The driver laughed when he saw me. I wasn't his first idiot, it seemed. He WAS nice enough to tell me some of the "secrets" to not getting stuck, and getting myself out if I did.
After that expensive little adventure, I was actually able to snatch a few other stuck people out of their own sand-traps. Felt pretty good the first time I did it!
The Luv didn't have the steering stabilizer set-up, so I really enjoyed having the 4Runner, but I still learned fast to keep my thumbs out. I hit a few spots with it really off-road that yanked the wheel right out of my grip. Kinda scary, but scarier thinking about 2 broken thumbs! Thank you to "the guys" out at work on the Aerostat site!

My 2 pennies worth on broken thumbs and steering stabilizers...
Pat☺