Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How well should the EGR seal? 22re

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How well should the EGR seal? 22re

Ive been tracking down a hesitation prob in my 1994 22re. i took off the entire intake to clean all the carbon buildup, clean my injectors etc. i pulled the egr off and cleaned it out as well as i could, the diaphragm and valve are working perfectly but if i plug the hole that bolts to the side of the head and blow on the vacuum nipple before the bottom of where the valve is some air does get by the valve, should the valve be perfectly sealed to where no air can get by or is this normal?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:59 AM

This has nothing to do with an answer but are you from the north?

Back to your question. In not 100% sure but I would make a safe guess to say that it should seal airtight. If it didn't. It would be the same as any other vacuum leak...

Have you ever replaced the little black thing?

Last edited by BigSwole; 01-18-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:56 AM

just seal it off altogether. doesn't hurt to block it. if it stops hesitating, problem solved. you can use gasket maker material the heaavy duty stuff on the back of the head
Old 01-18-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by n16ht5
just seal it off altogether. doesn't hurt to block it. if it stops hesitating, problem solved. you can use gasket maker material the heaavy duty stuff on the back of the head
I did a bunch of research and thats what i plan on doing tonight. im going to make a couple steel caps and seal them off, ive read when you block off the egr it increases combustion chamber temps and it can be bad for a 22re and might lower mileage a little bit but i cant find a solid answer on weather it is or not, just a bunch of opinions. i have a k&n style cold air intake, ive taken the cat out and i plan on installing my pacesetter headers, throwin in my bigger v6 radiator, using premium gas and advancing the timing to see if there is any difference in temps. doesnt seem to me like it could hurt anything, but guess its worth a try to see if itll fix my engines shluggish tendencies.....
Old 01-18-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by BigSwole
This has nothing to do with an answer but are you from the north?

Back to your question. In not 100% sure but I would make a safe guess to say that it should seal airtight. If it didn't. It would be the same as any other vacuum leak...

Have you ever replaced the rubber grommet
Rubber grommet on the egr?.... i decided im just going to tear the egr out and cap it off, yea it should seal at idle which would cause my idling problems and there was also a leak in the diaphragm so well see if capping it fixes it.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:33 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I'll state this as plainly and simply as I can.

Removing the EGR will help the performance of the engine as well as keep the intake cleaner.

Your ECU will use the signal from the knock sensor to determine if there's any pinging/detonation and will automatically retard the ignition timing to correct it. If you find the need to run high octane gas, or advance the base ignition timing beyond stock to control pinging, it won't be because the EGR isn't there. Because, like I said, if anything you would need to retard it. But you won't, trust me.

Furthermore a rise in combustion temps = more power. So even if they do increase significanlty, which they probably won't, that's a good thing.

Next, there's no rubber grommet. What there is is a composite heat-resistant gasket. It's only a one-time use type. But you could probably reuse it and seal it with some type of gasket sealing compound. Just make sure you use one that's resistant to high temps and exposure to gasoline(present in small quantities in the exhaust gasses). It's important that you DO NOT USE RTV! The diaphram on the EGR valve itself isn't a concern as far as a vacuum leak. Though it will affect the performance of the valve.

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-18-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
I'll state this as plainly and simply as I can.

Removing the EGR will help the performance of the engine as well as keep the intake cleaner.

Your ECU will use the signal from the knock sensor to determine if there's any pinging/detonation and will automatically retard the ignition timing to correct it. If you find the need to run high octane gas, or advance the base ignition timing beyond stock to control pinging, it won't be because the EGR isn't there. Because, like I said, if anything you would need to retard it. But you won't, trust me.

Furthermore a rise in combustion temps = more power. So even if they do increase significanlty, which they probably won't, that's a good thing.

Next, there's no rubber grommet. What there is is a composite heat-resistant gasket. It's only a one-time use type. But you could probably reuse it and seal it with some type of gasket sealing compound. Just make sure you use one that's resistant to high temps and exposure to gasoline(present in small quantities in the exhaust gasses). It's important that you DO NOT USE RTV! The diaphram on the EGR valve itself isn't a concern as far as a vacuum leak. Though it will affect the performance of the valve.
What are the reasons for not using RVT? just curious other than it can ruin sensors
Old 01-18-2011, 01:46 PM

Sensor-safe or not, RTV isn't resistant to exposure to gasoline or other hydrocarbon fuels. And will eventually deteriorate under those conditions. This is not the case on a 22RE EGR valve gasket, but is so on the 3VZE. Because of the cold start injector location on that engine.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-11-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Sensor-safe or not, RTV isn't resistant to exposure to gasoline or other hydrocarbon fuels. And will eventually deteriorate under those conditions.
thanks for the info, thats exactly what i was going to use! do you by any chance know if the o2 sensor is the only sensor in a 22re rtv can ruin being in the exhaust stream or stuck to the back of the intake?
Old 01-18-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by David_mx70
thanks for the info, thats exactly what i was going to use! do you by any chance know if the o2 sensor is the only sensor in a 22re rtv can ruin being in the exhaust stream or stuck to the back of the intake?
and what exactly would you recomend? sorry fer being a noob i just kinda wanna do this right and i dont know a whole lot about this silicone gasket maker stuff
Old 01-18-2011, 02:00 PM

Mudhippy is right. Its not a rubber grommet. Dnt knw what I was thinking when I typed rubber.

Thx for catchn my typo!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:07 PM

Yes, the O2 sensor is the only cause for concern on that engine. Which basically means you really shouldn't use RTV on the exhaust system unless it's sensor-safe, as well as high temp. And I should correct my previous statement, it's not so much the exposure to small quantities of unburnt hydrocarbon in the exhaust, but the heavy concentration of it from the cold start injector that would be a problem for that particular application if it were a 3VZE. And it would be considered part of the intake, not exhaust system, so being sensor-safe is less of a concern(as what ever would be emitted would likely get burned up in the combustion chamber).

So, if you intend on using RTV to seal other parts of the exhaust system use one that's high temp and sensor-safe. The best would be Ultra Copper. Which I have used myself, with limited success. Mainly because even it isn't high temp resistant enough. The exhaust, especially near the exhaust manifold can get literally red hot.

Oh, sorry, my recommendation...hold on...I've got that typed up in another thread.

O.k., a couple of threads. Here's one: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...52/index2.html

Permatex® Form-A-Gasket® No. 1 Sealant

Fast-drying, hard-setting sealant designed for sealing rigid materials and flanges, or patching holes and joints where permanent assembly is desired. Temperature range -65°F to 400°F (-54°C to 204°C); resists common shop fluids and fuels.
http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut..._1_Sealant.htm

Permatex® Aviation Form-A-Gasket® No. 3 Sealant

Slow-drying, non-hardening brush-top sealant approved for use in aviation as well as automotive applications. Temperature range -65°F to 400°F (-54°C to 204°C); resists gasoline, oil and grease.
http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut..._Sealant_a.htm

Permatex® Hylomar® Universal Blue Racing Formula Gasket Dressing & Flange Sealant

Adopted worldwide by many automotive manufacturers and countless race teams for sealing gas and diesel engines and transmissions.

This non-chlorinated gasketing and sealing compound has been specially formulated to be non-setting and non-hardening at elevated temperatures. It withstands rapid changes in temperature and remains flexible and tacky even at high temperatures, allowing repeated disassembly and reassembly in high performance applications. This no-run formula seals surface imperfections on machined flanges and is vibration resistant. Temperature range of -60°F to +500°F (-50°C to +260°C); resists engine fluids, including water, coolant, gasoline, lubricating oils, kerosene and some refrigerants. Also possesses dust and moisture proofing properties.
http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ge_Sealant.htm

MotoSeal® 1 Ultimate Gasket Maker Grey

For two and four cycle engines. Solvent-based bond fully seals within 20 minutes. Forms a tough flexible bond that is highly effective on irregular and uneven joint surfaces. Ideal for use on frequently disassembled engines. Resists gasoline and other damaging fluids. Withstands temperatures 350°F (177°C) continuous, 400°F (204°C) intermittent.
http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...Maker_Grey.htm

Here's from another:

Product Description

High temperature, high quality gasket sealer. Prevents compression loss on paper, cork and premium gaskets. Dauber built into the lid for easy application and storage.

Product Specifications

Applications

Automatic transmissions, cover plates, diesel heads, high compression engines, hi-speed turbine superchargers, hydraulic pumps
http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/co...?PN=401504&S=N

That aviation gasket maker is probably just as good. Pematex® also makes some copper gasket sealant that comes in a spray can. It's made for use on head gaskets, and is good from -50 to 500°F.

Permatex® Copper Spray-A-Gasket® Hi-Temp Adhesive Sealant
Fast-drying, metallic copper sealant helps dissipate heat, prevents gasket burnout and improves heat transfer. Fills minor surface irregularities. Seals instantly. Fills hot spots and surface imperfections. Temperature range -50°F to 500°F (-45°C to 260°C); resists all types of automotive fluids, especially gasoline. Level 3*

Suggested Applications: Cylinder head gaskets, carburetor gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets and other high temperature applications
http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ve_Sealant.htm

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-11-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:29 PM

hondabond?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:12 PM

Is that a question? Or an answer?

If it's a question:
Hondabond 4 and Hondabond HT are gasoline resistant gasket makers/sealants.

Hondabond 4
* Semi-drying liquid gasket.
* Seals irregular surfaces with a tough, elastic film.
* Solvent-based for easy removal; resists gasoline.

Hondabond HT (Hi-Temp) Gasket Sealant. For use in areas not requiring solid gaskets. Unique non-acidic formula. Dries quickly, remains flexible, resist vibration. Resist gasoline, oil, water, and most chemicals. Effective from 75F to 600F.
  • Seals surfaces with a tough elastic film
  • Resistant to most fluids and chemicals
  • Withstands heat, pressure, and vibration
  • Makes part separation easier!
If it's an answer, then yes. Hondabond HT would do. But at $10-$15 per tube, it's a little spendy.