Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

help, gear stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help, gear stuck!

hi im toad559, im new to this site. didnt know if i had to do a orientation, if do let me know. thanks. k, problem is my 94 toyota 22re 4x4 truck wont go in gear at all when the engine is on. but when i turn it off it goes in. i have no leak in the all cyclinders and fluid is good. truck was running great, just parked it for a month to take redo my system. and this morning finally decided to hook it all up and drive it around and im stuck. was told it could be theclutch or the throw out bwaring. but i confuse cus it was workin great b4 i parked it. any help is greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 01-05-2010, 06:14 PM

help, anyone out there? im new to this site and i misspell my name.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:15 PM

Yes it does sound like a clutch issue, start with the pedal and work your way down till ya find the problem, could be the master or slave cylinder have gone bad and leaked down, rat chewed a hole in the hydrolic line, all sorts off things can happen when a vehicle is setting.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:26 PM

is the truck giving any other symptoms like the pedal feels wierd, or its not up as far as it was, or it could be your ummmmm, crap! cant remember what its called! Throwout arm maybe, arm that activates the throwout bearing.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:29 PM

CLUTCH RELEASE FORK! yeah that thing! it could be broke.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:41 PM

well, the clutch pedal feels fine. goes in and out fine. i just rebleed it nd it still didnt work. no leak at all on the cyclinders. inside or out. and i had my wife push the pedal in while i look and the tranny side to see if the releases and it did everytime she stepped on it. could my cluth giveway already? if so whats a good brand? ebay? would i have to replace everything, clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:47 PM

Fluids levels are good? Press the peddle x # of times, still have pressure, still not fluid? Slave cyl is not leaking? Can you roll the truck and try to pop into 2nd? Is the 4x4 not disengaged, but in between?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:54 PM

triple check all that stuff before ya go pulling the tranny, if it comes to that I would go ahead and replace all of it while your in there. If your clutch disk is worn out it will disengage and go in gear, it just wont pull. If its not the hydrolic side of the system, you have a problem with the bearing or the presure plate.
Brands? if a street machine, auto zone stuff is fine. If you like beefed up parts marlin crawler has several options, or wabfab could probley hook you up.

Last edited by peapicker; 01-05-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:59 PM

yes no flui leak. although theres a small leak from the back of the motor but i dont think thats it. i havent checked the tranny fluid level, a friend said that can be it. i trried putting it in reverse while holding the clutch down as i start th engine (im close to my house at the nose) and it jumped back quick like if i didnt have press the clucth at all. the car the set back about 6 inches. i jsut dont want to take out the traunny and replace everything as of now cus it be a bumber just know i was just driving it a month ago. but 4x4 is not incage at all. it goes into gear fine when its not running but once i satrt it. its stcuk on all 6. any more help?
Old 01-05-2010, 07:04 PM

Thats about all I can think of, its really hard to help online. Good luck, get back on here and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-18-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:16 PM

thanks. appreciate everything. i looked into it and maybe its the thoroutbearing. but whatever it is. its stuck as the engine is on only. i cant even drive it now. gotta tow it to a shop. help still wanted. lol
Old 01-06-2010, 10:21 PM

any body can chim in? i still need help on this. been reading through alot of the post and found a guy had simular problem but he never responded. also read that a guy tried jackin the rear and spinning the tires. well that work? it didnt for him. if i put it in gear and start the car up and let it jump a few time, think i can free my clutch? please help me out. this was my dads truck he left me b4 he pass and im stuck on this problem. i regret not learning it all while he was here. now im relying on you guys to help me in any way. thanks yotatech
Old 01-06-2010, 11:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The problem is that the engine and transmission are not getting disconnected, so the input shaft of the tranny is always turning when the engine is. That's why it won't go into gear. The clutch pedal may need to be adjusted, which is where I'd start. I've seen plenty of posts around here about how to do that. If that doesn't solve it, then its something inside the bell housing, such as a broken clutch fork, throwout bearing not attached to the fork, damaged pressure plate, seized pilot bearing, etc. Start with the pedal adjustment and if the fork moves when you press on the pedal, then its time to dive in and just replace the clutch assembly and inspect the release fork (and lube the pivot points!!).
Old 01-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got a similar problem, but mine will go, I just have to force it, or be moving forward. I checked my fluid, and it is low, so I'm going to refill it, and look for a leak if it's low again after that.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:01 PM

thanks again youguys. yeah i the fork moves while the pedal is pushed in. i already adujsted the pedal and rebled it. maybe there is a damage inside of it. imma order me a clutch from marlin. i was on the site and they have the same one as wabfab as their compitition clutch. same asia ceramic 6 puck. but marlin says theirs 1800lbs and wabfb is 1600lbs. which one should i get? mines a daily driver on 35's. 5;29 gears. bone stock engine. moneys not a problem. well,under 400 for a kit that is.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We used to have this problem on a deer camp truck. It would sit all year long and when we went to move it for hunting season the clutch would not disengage the engine from the tranny. We had to remove a little access plate and take a crow bar to it to get the cluch to release.

Since your truck sat for a month the clutch might be stuck to the fly wheel.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:29 PM

so on the bottom just take out the plate and try to pry it out? will i harm it if if force it too hard and it still dont budge?did your truckclutuch release after you did it?
Old 01-08-2010, 05:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by toad559
so on the bottom just take out the plate and try to pry it out? will i harm it if if force it too hard and it still dont budge?did your truckclutuch release after you did it?
Oh I need to let you know that the truck we did it on was not a Toyota. Now that I think about it there may not be an access plate on the Toyota Tranny.

When we used to crow bar on ours it took very little pressure to break it lose.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:34 AM

go here; I say you need a clutch kit entire assy., and a tranny rebuild...
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...unning-200664/

Last edited by rangerruck; 01-08-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:15 PM

I just bought me an aisin 1200 lbs clutch kit from marlin crawler. On ther site it says HD but it's just a fancy work for stock. Shouldve I gone with the 1600 lbs instead? How much does a tranny rebuilt average cost if I have it pulled out and drop it off? Is it madatory to do it just cus my clutch wentout? Now what kind of parts should I buy for the tranny rebuilt and just pay for the labor? Thanks guys for helping me out.

Quick Reply: help, gear stuck!