Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hate my mirrors!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wait, I just saw your avatar... your door doesn't have the little vent window? Never mine.... sorry
Old 12-18-2010, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
heh the ones I don't like are the factory towing style mirrors. then never stay put.

lol, ive always wanted to swap my mirros over to those towing mirrors.

froggy 101, thats the country staion out of pittston pa right?
Old 12-18-2010, 06:29 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 85gijunk4x4
lol, ive always wanted to swap my mirros over to those towing mirrors.

froggy 101, thats the country staion out of pittston pa right?
yup. that's the station.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:43 PM

What about these: theyre alot bigger and manual

Last edited by streetlancer; 12-18-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Contributing Member

fwiw I had those tow mirrors on my 87... ended up swapping some ford econolne mirror heads on to the hoops... worked great strayed in place perfectly...
Old 12-19-2010, 12:11 PM
WJC

Originally Posted by aviator
I installed the larger 2gen 4runner mirrors on my 94 when I converted to power windows SR5 interior. If you already have power mirrors it will be a plug n play mod. the even bigger 3gen mirrors would be a bigger headache since the mount point is larger but you might be able to macgyver something.
Yep, that's what I was hoping for. I'll start looking at the local yards for a set of those. Not looking for 'Big Ears' Style lol so I'll plan on not having to MacGyver it.

Shoulda known you'd have done a mod like that but I didn't recall seeing it listed in your posts.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:21 PM

I know it doesn't really solve your side mirror problem, but if you're looking for more rearward visibility, check into one of these.

270mm Blue Convex Rear View Mirror

I have one of these in my truck that I had leftover from my old Honda. It's super convenient to use on the highway. I can basically see out the back side windows while driving. The convex mirror takes a little getting to used to since it's similar to the passenger side mirror, but once you do, it is pretty useful. The blue coating is an anti-glare coating which means I never have to use the day/night feature on the mirror.

Just something to consider.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WJC
Yep, that's what I was hoping for. I'll start looking at the local yards for a set of those. Not looking for 'Big Ears' Style lol so I'll plan on not having to MacGyver it.

Shoulda known you'd have done a mod like that but I didn't recall seeing it listed in your posts.
Did'nt feel it really needed a "mod" post it really was a simple plug'n'play mod.
Literally screw off/screw on...
I'll take some pics and post'im here...
fyi I don't have any before pics so you'll have to use yer imaginations...
Old 12-20-2010, 08:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought a replacement mirror off rockauto for the driverside.

They suck, thin plastic and they don't say put. I always have to adjust it.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:16 PM
WJC

Originally Posted by ProjectMcFly
I know it doesn't really solve your side mirror problem, but if you're looking for more rearward visibility, check into one of these.

270mm Blue Convex Rear View Mirror

I have one of these in my truck that I had leftover from my old Honda. It's super convenient to use on the highway. I can basically see out the back side windows while driving. The convex mirror takes a little getting to used to since it's similar to the passenger side mirror, but once you do, it is pretty useful. The blue coating is an anti-glare coating which means I never have to use the day/night feature on the mirror.

Just something to consider.
I have considered that option. Actually zip tied one of those on my rear view to try it out. I think it'd be OK if I didn't have a topper on my box. With the topper on though, side wirrors are a MUST. But, thanx just the same for the input!!
Old 12-23-2010, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by streetlancer
What about these: theyre alot bigger and manual

where did you get that grill? Iv'e been trying to find anything not stock for a grille too no avail!

xxxtreme - I bought a pair of doors with those mirrors on them the other day, didn't know they were factory though..., anyway, how often do you have to readjust them, my tiny chrome stock 87" mirors have to be readjusted every week.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by WJC
I have considered that option. Actually zip tied one of those on my rear view to try it out. I think it'd be OK if I didn't have a topper on my box. With the topper on though, side wirrors are a MUST. But, thanx just the same for the input!!
I totally agree with you on the side mirrors thing. When I first bought my truck, the cap was still on it and I was driving around going "OMG I can't see anything." The mirror was a simple clip on and I had it laying around so I was like why not. Once I pulled the cap off it was night and day different as far as visibility was concerned. I was on the fence on taking mine off (wasn't a huge fan of it from a looks standpoint), but once I did and saw the difference in visibility, I was like yeah, this needs to stay off.

On my mirrors the previous owner put on those stick on blind spot circles, and while I think they don't look so good (they remind me of old man mirrors for some reason), they also do a good job giving me some extra visibility.