Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Hard clicking/knocking in front of 3VZE

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its hard to sit here for hours guessing, "Oh its got a loose pulley bolt" or "exhaust leak" or "rods knocking" or Oh that reed valve thingy" and "sticky valve" we could guess for hours and for years.... ya gotta make sure everythings all buttoned up good... get a good camera or somethin and lets hear a good vid and pointed where you thinks its from...... how longs it been doing this? IF your oil weight is too thin you might have lil knock in there but alas..... theres no tellin
Old 10-25-2009, 02:03 PM

mines rod knock..so ignore my posts people..lol
Old 10-27-2009, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
camo31.....No worries about any hijacking, that doesn't bother me if my thread gets people talking about other problems on the same engine or related problems, as long as my problem doesn't get buried that is, haha.

Kiroshu....I appreciate the sitting and thinking on your part, it's what makes this site so great. This has got me puzzled, it hasn't done it for the last two days at all, been driving back and forth to work and all around.....nothing. It never did it before that day that I came home and heard it, and hasn't done it since.....arrgghh!!

This one may be a gremlin that came up for air and went back to sleep, waiting until I am going down the beach or pulling my boat to come back and really screw me, haha, actually that's not that funny.

Anyway, thanks for giving it some thought and giving me ideas, at least now I know that reed valve thingy goes bad on the 3.0.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take the p/s belt off and start the engine. If it's pump related, the noise will go away. Do each of the belts, one at a time, until the source of the noise is located. If you still hear it with all belts off, you should suspect something internal. With all the belts off, the fan won't be turning so watch closely for the engine to start to get hot. Use the screwdriver as a stethoscope trick to help locate internal noises if you get all the belts off and still hear the noise.

Could also be timing belt idler pulleys with toasted bearing.

Last edited by bugs1961; 10-27-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:21 PM

So many things... so many noises.... so many guesses..... crazy.... You could check for hours.... and hours.... and hours.... and hours...... to be honest with you, unless you know when that noise is around it affects the performance of the truck i'd let that sleeping dog lay. Just drive it and don't worry until it becomes a driveablilty prob or extremely loud. Ever heard a 22r-e with 300k on it? Theres more noises than you can imagine but she will still run and run and run and run.... and just let it be i supose for now. Unless theres mroe update......... video.....
Old 12-15-2013, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile I have a simular knock and can help.

Originally Posted by mmcpeck
Went out this morning to get breakfast, came back, pulled in the driveway and heard a loud clicking or almost knocking at idle from the front of the engine. ('92 Pickup)

Lifted the hood, and I could swear it sounds like it's coming from the front of the P/S pump. It increases and decreases as you increase and decrease the throttle, but is real hard and steady at idle.

Is this a symptom of the P/S pump going? I have never heard one make this noise. The pulley does not feel loose at all, thought maybe it was the bearing in front of the pump for the pulley, but I think it would be a fatser knocking than this. It is a slow, steady, loud knocking noise at idle.

Doesn't sound like it's coming from any part of the engine, like under the timing cover or anything, just from the P/S pump.

Thanks.
I have just solved the problem from a similar knock coming from the front of my 3vze engine. After disconnecting all belts one at a time I then took off the top timing belt cover started the engine to find the loud tapping (knocking) noise coming from the the timing belt tensioner. It seems that the hydraulic tensioner is failing, causing the arm of the tensioner to knock on the side of the cover. Changed the tensioner and solved the problem.

Hope this helps.