Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

error code 52 fixed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
error code 52 fixed!!!

hello everyone, first i would like to say thank you to all who post to this site. when i needed insight into this error code 52 this is the site i looked to for help and it paid off. throughout my search i concluded that only three things can cause this code to appear

1- the knock sensor is bad
2-the wired connection from the KS to the ECM is bad
or
3- the ECM is bad

thats it only three things, why? because its a closed circuit wire comes from sensor and straight to the ECM.

my problem began when i changed the head gasket on my 3.0. when i started up the engine again this code came up.
for me i determined that since i did not touch the KS or ECM and my battery was out during the dissemble the only thing it could be is the wire, since i unplugged it form the the KS. on this site i found out the most common wire section to fail is the one coming out alongside the intake. so i went to toyota and $19 later i had a new wire(they even had it in stock the part manager said it a common issue, he also asked if i had removed the KS because his experience is that they sometimes fail once removed????).

it took me 6 hrs to change out the wire and it worked. my 4runner is off and running better then ever

so remember if you have this issue it can only be these three things so diagnose people and good luck,

IT CAN BE FIXED....ITS A TOYOTA!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2011, 05:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Glad you got it fixed, but you were seriously overcharged for that wiring pigtail. They should be about $10.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:17 AM

$9?? Yeah It's high, but's thats what they charge. I say so what, roll with it.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 AM

they had it in stock and yea it was an extra $9...I just wanted to fix it. like i said i got it done in about 6 hrs on the same day.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

Worth EVERY cent.....

Repo
Old 02-23-2011, 08:56 AM

I agree that the total cost of repair was low, but if they're marking up a wiring pigtail that much extra, imagine what they're doing to other parts! I have a very good relationship with my local dealer, and I get those wiring pigtails for $9/ea out the door. (price just went up from $8.xx)

I'm just saying, you can dicker with them on prices. Often times they'll give you a discount just for trying. Nothing is set in stone unless you're willing to just pay the price, in which case it gives that illusion.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by shaeff
I agree that the total cost of repair was low, but if they're marking up a wiring pigtail that much extra, imagine what they're doing to other parts! I have a very good relationship with my local dealer, and I get those wiring pigtails for $9/ea out the door. (price just went up from $8.xx)

I'm just saying, you can dicker with them on prices. Often times they'll give you a discount just for trying. Nothing is set in stone unless you're willing to just pay the price, in which case it gives that illusion.
Good points, I usually don't ask, but may start, as I too have a good relationship w/ local dealer.

Thanks

Repo

Last edited by hilandfrog; 02-23-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:46 AM

No problem! Worked for me, now I get most things at or just above dealer cost. Been going to the same parts guys for seven or eight years now. When I call, they know it's me and allow me to order parts over the phone, even special order stuff, without giving credit card info. They just tell me when to pick it up.

I always make sure to let their manager know how helpful they are, and that they always go out of their way to make sure I'm a happy customer, and find difficult to locate parts for me.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:46 PM

i didn't know you could bargain a bit with them... good to know for the next time, thanks. that was the first time i went to the dealer for anything, i typically stick with auto zone and my local junk yard. it was just that with this part autozone didn't carry it and i didn't want to get a used one, due to all the labor i was putting into to the repair.
thank you all for the insight.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:11 PM

Absolutely! Like I said, I now get parts through my dealer so cheap that I use ONLY OEM stuff for just about everything.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by albarran58215
hello everyone, first i would like to say thank you to all who post to this site. when i needed insight into this error code 52 this is the site i looked to for help and it paid off. throughout my search i concluded that only three things can cause this code to appear

1- the knock sensor is bad
2-the wired connection from the KS to the ECM is bad
or
3- the ECM is bad

thats it only three things, why? because its a closed circuit wire comes from sensor and straight to the ECM.

my problem began when i changed the head gasket on my 3.0. when i started up the engine again this code came up.
for me i determined that since i did not touch the KS or ECM and my battery was out during the dissemble the only thing it could be is the wire, since i unplugged it form the the KS. on this site i found out the most common wire section to fail is the one coming out alongside the intake. so i went to toyota and $19 later i had a new wire(they even had it in stock the part manager said it a common issue, he also asked if i had removed the KS because his experience is that they sometimes fail once removed????).

it took me 6 hrs to change out the wire and it worked. my 4runner is off and running better then ever

so remember if you have this issue it can only be these three things so diagnose people and good luck,

IT CAN BE FIXED....ITS A TOYOTA!!!!!!
abood
Old 08-08-2021, 01:06 PM

I had the same problem as this, and I checked and found fault number 52.. I mean, I need to remove the engine heads and say to change the sensor wire, the strokes only? Will the car be in the best performance? Wait for a reply from you immediately if you can