Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ENGN Builder Street RV Head

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I am also running an LC polished intake, with their bore out throttle body, seems to be a nice little addtion with the head and cam. Yes its expensive, no its not for everyone, but to me it was worth the extra little bit!

You will be extremely happy with EB's stuff!
Old 04-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the big head and 268 cam and a new obx header , with my 35 x12.5' s I get 18ish mpg at 70 mph and can feel the cam kick in around 3500 all the way to redline very happy
Old 04-13-2011, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im in the process of building my Silverado, once done will be digging into the Yota.

This is the basic build I am planning, EB head, cam, a form of header and rebuild injectors.

My problem is I cannot decide on which cam. People reply such different ideas when these cams kick in its hard to tell.

My truck is a 94 x cab,,, 31", stock gears. I do average driving in the 45mph to 75mph driving. From what I understand the 261crawler kicks in from idle and dies at 3k. The 268 has such a random comment of when it kicks in and dies out, I cant decide on the cam.

My truck sits at 3K RPM at highway speeds. I dont think i want the 261Crawler as it seems to die out at my highway speed.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Todd at EB explained to me that the 268C cam kicks in at 1k and has a strong powerband all the way through 5k RPM's. He said it's a good all around cam if your geared low, since you'll be using a wide range of RPM's. The 261C crawler cam is more purpose built for bottom end grunt. Apparently the Street RV head/268C is the best for daily driven rigs.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by malteserunner
Todd at EB explained to me that the 268C cam kicks in at 1k and has a strong powerband all the way through 5k RPM's. He said it's a good all around cam if your geared low, since you'll be using a wide range of RPM's. The 261C crawler cam is more purpose built for bottom end grunt. Apparently the Street RV head/268C is the best for daily driven rigs.
The 268 is more than likely the way I will go, however like Harleyman said earlier (along with others) some claim they feel it kick in higher up 3000+.....

It also has to do with other tuning and tire size,, but I feel safe with the 268.

Ive read some other posts that put the Compcam a little above the 268 but its twice the price...not sure the difference is worth the additional $
Old 04-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

I agree about the gears and tire size. Todd also asked what gears and tires I was running, and I included that most of my driving is done in the mountains, so for me the 268C is supposed to be the best fit. I'll add my own, 'seat of the pants', experience in a couple weeks.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:51 PM

I just ordered one, Tod talked me into the 268 cam, I was just going to get OEM stock grind one, it got shipped out the day I ordered it, I called at 1:30pm eastern, called at 6:18 to order head bolts and he told me it had already went out UPS, head bolts going out Thursday...After I get it installed and engine going I'll come back and update on how the 268 RV cam is doing...

Update: 06/21/2011, I just got the EB head and it's to beautiful to put on an engine and get dirty and oiley ;}LOL

Update: 10/08/2011, Engine all done and up and running ;} Woo Hoo!!!! Shame nice new head getting dirty!!!! ;}LOL

Last edited by john4wd; 10-07-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Contributing Member

I've got about 1300 miles on mine since the engine build. So far, I love it. I can pull hills 10-15 MPH faster than before, and I'm still getting 20+ MPG. It doesn't seem to build any extra power after 4500 RPM's, which is perfect for me, since I don't plan to wind it up too much anyways. I haven't played with the timing at all, but I'd bet there's a little more power to be had with some minor tuning.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:25 PM

I have the 261 cam and rv head and its has more power 4500+ then the stock cam/head. with 32/11.5 mt's i'm still getting 21mpg in town and 22-24hwy
Old 06-16-2011, 06:48 PM

No offense to EB but i have the putneys performance head and from what ive read the pretty close to each other with the lc pro torquer cam and it made the biggest diff out of all the stuff i have done. The header was second
Old 08-15-2011, 06:54 AM

john4wd...Any updates on the install?
Old 10-06-2011, 01:22 PM

Did you guys need to install new injextors with the head?
Old 10-06-2011, 01:28 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CitrusTheDragon
No need to do this, Citrus... but it's advisable to have the injectors sent off to Witchhunter.com or another reputable injector cleaning/restorer company. They're quick with fix/return shipping and you'll DEFINITELY notice the difference in mileage/performance if they find yours are leaking/sticking/'poor' flow rate..... (If you're in the high miles arena-- anything over 150K might not be high miles for these motors...but injectors?-- then yeah, have em 'serviced'.)
Old 10-07-2011, 06:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CitrusTheDragon
x2 on having the injectors serviced. Had mine done at a local shop who is very reputable. Don't forget the rubber o-rings and such for the injectors, they will be dried up and cracking most likely, should get new ones with serivce of injectors
Old 10-07-2011, 09:33 AM

I hope I get better milage and better hp out of everything I'm going to spend. I was only getting 10mpg at 75hp
Old 10-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by malteserunner
It doesn't seem to build any extra power after 4500 RPM's...
I thought I'd add to this, since the motor is broken in now. I have about 4k miles on it, and it's running excellent. It pulls hard all the way to 5k RPM on the street. I rarely take it that high, however, since I don't really need to. I did hit about 5500 RPM's in 2nd gear, climbing a dune at Pismo a couple weeks ago, and had no issues whatsoever. I hit that dune again in 3rd, and it pulled much better. Before the rebuild, 3rd gear would be a good start to climb a big dune, but I'd always have to downshift. Now third gear pulls hard all the way up the dunes. I'm very happy with the way things turned out on my build.

Oh yeah, I got 20 MPG on the trip to Pismo, from Oakhurst. I was fully loaded with gear, and pulling the big hills like I had something to prove (just to see what it would do). I'm confident it would get 22 MPG or so, if I drove more conservatively. Not too bad, I think.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
going on my list of wants!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
...it's advisable to have the injectors sent off to Witchhunter.com or another reputable injector cleaning/restorer company. They're quick with fix/return shipping and you'll DEFINITELY notice the difference in mileage/performance if they find yours are leaking/sticking/'poor' flow rate.....
Amen to that. I just got my truck back together after putting on my Street RV head, and while I was putting the injectors back in I thought to myself "damn, these look kinda shot in the rubber department. Maybe I should send 'em in...nah, I'll do that some other time."

Sure enough, one of them is now spraying fuel all over the engine bay. Yay.

On their way to WitchHunter now...ah well, I guess I wanted an excuse to do that. And I got one. Be careful what you wish for.

On the bright side, in my short (and apparently hazardous) test drive, I did notice that the truck pulled better than ever before. Sounds happy, too - can't wait to get the rebuilt injectors popped in, fix my header leak (tried the stock gasket unsuccessfully, seems obvious in hindsight that egg-shaped gasket holes wouldn't play well with the round ports on the Thorley header - who knew?) and drive the wheels off this thing.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaingoat
Amen to that. I just got my truck back together after putting on my Street RV head, and while I was putting the injectors back in I thought to myself "damn, these look kinda shot in the rubber department. Maybe I should send 'em in...nah, I'll do that some other time."

Sure enough, one of them is now spraying fuel all over the engine bay. Yay.

On their way to WitchHunter now...ah well, I guess I wanted an excuse to do that. And I got one. Be careful what you wish for.

On the bright side, in my short (and apparently hazardous) test drive, I did notice that the truck pulled better than ever before. Sounds happy, too - can't wait to get the rebuilt injectors popped in, fix my header leak (tried the stock gasket unsuccessfully, seems obvious in hindsight that egg-shaped gasket holes wouldn't play well with the round ports on the Thorley header - who knew?) and drive the wheels off this thing.
Use a good amount of high-temp copper rtv on both sides of the gasket. Only way I could ever get my thorley header not to leak.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by modlite
I was reading a thread on here, where somebody had this head, a shortened intake on the left side with a K&N Filter and an exhaust and they said they were getting way more power and 20mpg still.
Thats me! I got that head, the 261 cam, thorley tri y header with 2.25 pipe and magnaflow. The intake is going out to the pass. side of truck with a cone. I got 26 mpg as a 2wd but now with 33's and 4.10 gears, i still get 20 mpg. I should get better when i get some 4.88's in it! It does make a difference in power, but i also would HIGHLY recommend the supra AFM. It makes a world of difference down low!! But still aint no V8! HAHA

Quick Reply: ENGN Builder Street RV Head