See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Eliminating the metal windshield trim aka rust maker

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 07:11 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
LOL.
See? THIS is what makes a fantastic thread. When folks update what they did way back before the BigOne WW2 and how that worked out!

Thanks for updating
Old 08-02-2023, 12:54 PM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by vulture86
Hey coopster, thanks for the reply. So that's one person who says yes, sealant should be used to hold the glass in the rubber gasket.
we do these still in my shop , and YES , I urethane them in .. even the 79-83's which are stock with the rubber gasket . heres why the 84 + dont use the gasket here in North America , Its "safty standards "
in a rollover , the gasketed glass can "pop" out very easily , and then the roof crushes , and you could be dead ! , with the glass urethaned in , it actually becomes a structural part of the truck , with almost
zero chance of it pipping out ... so If you do the gasket , my recomendation , is absolutly urethane it in .
The following 2 users liked this post by slacker:
2ToyGuy (08-02-2023), coopster (08-03-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couldn't agree more about the useless stainless trim. I found a local independent glass guy, who took out the windshield and all old rubber, repaired ALL the rust (and there was plenty), primed and painted, and installed a new windshield with generic rubber material, well sealed in. Total was $600 and very well worth it. Looks terrific.
Old 12-20-2023, 05:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Windshiled Rubber Gasket - Same Result

I too found the windshield too large by 3/8 on the bottom and 3/16 on the sides. Following your instructions I sanded the windshield down and it fit well. Cant see how it would go in without the removal on a US windshield. It is a nasty job sanding the glass but easier than I thought and it looks great. Video soon on my Youtube channel on it.

Windshield rubber gasket

Originally Posted by depiante
I had two different glass installers come out and try to make an FW471 windshield work with the infamous rubber gasket. No, it doesn't work and it will never work. The windshield that works with the gasket is not available in the United States.

I took the truck to Safelight, and the installer (who is WONDERFUL) spent hours with me trying to make some king of universal trim work. He was not satisfied, and asked why not use the gasket. I explained it to him and he told me to just resize the window, so I could use the gasket. Then he told me how. So, here's what you want to do...
  1. You will want to remove a full 3/8 inch from the bottom, and 3/16 inch from each side.
  2. Super clean the glass.
  3. Lay it out using tape (see the picture).
  4. Put tape top and bottom because you will have to alternate sides often as you work.
  5. Make sure the tape is very well adhered. This helps prevent the inevitable chipping from running in too far.
  6. Put 80 grit paper on your belt sander.
  7. Keep the sander moving constantly, but not too fast.
  8. Start by breaking the sharp edge (called "seaming") of the glass on all three edges and rounding the top corners.
  9. Do this for top and bottom. This keeps the edges from chipping.
  10. You can use a random orbit sander to seam the edges also.
  11. Run your belt sander vertically (assuming the glass is horizontal), tipped forward a bit.
  12. Again, this is to keep from chipping the bottom edge.
  13. Turn the glass over and do the same from the other side.
  14. After about 5 million passses, you will end up with a slight point around the plastic layer in the glass.
  15. This point will probably be a bit chipped. Run the sander vertically to clean that up.
  16. You will now have new square edges top and bottom.
  17. Seam the edges, top and bottom, and repeat the entire process until you are at your tape line.
  18. Seam the edges one last time to clean up the chips.
  19. Install it using the old rope trick. Use heavier rope to avoid tearing the gasket.

Top picture is of seamed top edge. Bottom picture is shows the slight point around the plastic.

Taper your corners evenly. Lay it out with tape, top and bottom. Ensure the tape is very well adhered.

The end result. WAY better than a universal trim solution.
The following users liked this post:
Dark Wolf (01-25-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xX88yota4x4Xx
Ok everyone got it done and i can say i could not be happier!!!!!! i would say go for it but like mentioned in this post before dont let them do it unless they are confident they can do it. i talked to probably six different people before i found this guy.

before

Attachment 172740
Attachment 172741

and after!!!!!!

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...7/DSC00816.jpg
Attachment 172742
Attachment 172743Attachment 172744
i know ur post was years ago. I wanna do same to my '87 xtra cab. Do you happen to know part# and where to get that rubber seal?