Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Diesel 5.9L swap DONE!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THanks bumpin i didnt have any facts to start throwing, so i kept my mouth shut. but ive driven them all and ill tell you, I HATE FORDS , but they have the better engine when it comes to towing and staight up power.

the isuzu made duramax is a good engine. As far as i could say all of isuzu's diesels are good engines. Well once the figured out thier valving issue and how to put a decent sized turbo on an engine that was around 97 i think

Last edited by thefallman; 07-06-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thefallman
Hello you missed it CUMMINS ISNT MOPAR. do you really think that Frieghtliner, Peterbuilt, Mack, or Kennworth would defile a truck in such a way as to put a MOPAR motor in it NOOOOOO.
I realize this, and thats why i praised CUMMINS, and so for the mopars(not CUMMINS) i don't really care for them, or ford

I come from a family of truck drivers, which really upsets most of them that i own a toyota. I like my toyota just the way it is(plus about 100 more horsepower)
And to avoid any more confusion:
CUMMINS=GREAT, MOPAR= FORD=
Old 07-08-2007, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumpin, apparently owning a truck doesn't corespond with knowing a damn thing about motors... Ford's International made Powerstroke is flat out a dragster of a motor yes, but a complete pile of ▓▓▓▓. International themselves said they don't know ifd they could make the motors live areasonable ammount of time without making them complete dog's. Your 700 bucks is just a good way to gaurentee that you need new head studs and a new head when you blow your's off, not to mention how absolutely worthless the auto tranny's are (the manuals don't hold up too well either.

Duramax...OK engine thaty really only sells cause people are so damn fiercely loyal to GM (why is this, they make complete garbage automobiles) and the Allison tranny. Isuzu makes good comercial diesel's, but they're not really so great in civy trucks.

Cummins is a sleve'd motor with commonrail injection and is damn near bulletproof. Definately not the dragster that the 6.0 Powerstroke is, but it's solid and makes ALOT of power with alot more in store with a few mnods (like a marine grade fuel pump and a little tuning) Cummins makes te best motor of th4e big three's suppliers, it's not an opinion, it's a matter of simple observed service life and comon knowledge.

Dave

Oh and Toyota makes a KILLER Turbo Diesel elswhere in the world, I drove a couple TD LC75's in Australlia and they are while smaller than our trucks here, very good driving very powerful motors. Plus they're toyota and they're bulletproof.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
As far as ease to get the trucks to run sub 14 second 1/4 mile times, again the F250 wins with less than 700 needing to be spent.
Lmao. Or drop right around 600 into a commonrail for a qzc, dual 7"er's from straight 4" back from a 5" dp, and a massive bhaf, and have fun blowin new vett's doors off at mid 12's.

Ah, here we go. And yeah, the womenfolk round bout these parts love big stacks

Although I guess that aint sayin much, seein as how we got his "black knight" running 14.2's, and it's a behemoth.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Freak
Bumpin, apparently owning a truck doesn't corespond with knowing a damn thing about motors... Ford's International made Powerstroke is flat out a dragster of a motor yes, but a complete pile of ▓▓▓▓. International themselves said they don't know ifd they could make the motors live areasonable ammount of time without making them complete dog's. Your 700 bucks is just a good way to gaurentee that you need new head studs and a new head when you blow your's off, not to mention how absolutely worthless the auto tranny's are (the manuals don't hold up too well either.

Duramax...OK engine thaty really only sells cause people are so damn fiercely loyal to GM (why is this, they make complete garbage automobiles) and the Allison tranny. Isuzu makes good comercial diesel's, but they're not really so great in civy trucks.

Cummins is a sleve'd motor with commonrail injection and is damn near bulletproof. Definately not the dragster that the 6.0 Powerstroke is, but it's solid and makes ALOT of power with alot more in store with a few mnods (like a marine grade fuel pump and a little tuning) Cummins makes te best motor of th4e big three's suppliers, it's not an opinion, it's a matter of simple observed service life and comon knowledge...
And having the name "diesel freak" doesn't necessarily imply you know a damn thing about the powerstroke. (Im screwing with you, so dont get your panties in a knot.)

But in seriousness, you are incorrect about the HG issue with the 6.0. Only the '03s and '04s had major HG issues. I know of about a dozen 6.0s (most '05-'07) running consistant 13.9-14.2s with no headstuds and no HG issues whatsoever. intake, exhaust, gauges, and SCT livewire with some custom tunes and some common sensen and they are completely fine. Most of em pushing 75k miles and heavy towers to boot. That includes an excursion running 14.1s as well - on 33x10.5 thornbirds! (Hi Stump! ) It's only when you start pushing more than ~32psi will you need headstuds. Then you are fine all the way up to about 600hp....and by your name I shouldn't have to mention the TQ will be in the 1200 range...

Secondarily i want the link to the quote where anyone at international said that. Im calling bs on that statement. That sounds more like what a salesemen at your local stealership would say to try to sell you a 6.4 they had in stock over the 6.0 that they didnt any left of... But yeah there is no way anyone associated with international or ford would go on the record and make a statement like that about any engine they made. Thats just downright bad for business.

And for the record I NEVER said a word about the cummins so dont go spouting off about what you think I do and do not know.

However anyone who says the powerstroke is a bad motor needs to pull their head out of their hind end. The exact same can be said for the duramaxx.

I happen to love how our ISB gets 21mpg moving around an 8300lbs quad cab dually and knowing that it will last in excess of 750,000 miles with ease. It's just too bad the thing cant get out of its own way in stock trim...seriously my 3.slow can outrun it.... And yes I know I could build the snot out of it more so than anything else sitting in the driveway. Exhaust, better intake, gauges and change out the fuel plate and a few other odds and ends and it too will run quite nicely....but at the expense of longevity. Something Im not willing to let slide on that particular engine.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 07-08-2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im still waiting on a 3.0L Turbo Diesel Toyota motor fro some people down here, it ha less than 100, 000 miles on it and it s from a 1998 4Runner Diesel, i'll post swap pics when it is done. im not sure WHEN it will get here,i have been told i will take a few weeks to at most 3 months, cause i guess the motor is coming from europe i think. Duty paid though. And dont get so had on a Duramax diesel, Isuzu makes that and the only reason it sucks in a GM is because they mess with it after they get it from Isuzu.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
Lmao. Or drop right around 600 into a commonrail for a qzc, dual 7"er's from straight 4" back from a 5" dp, and a massive bhaf, and have fun blowin new vett's doors off at mid 12's.
Gorgeous trucks! But you better be going a faster than mid 12s if you want beat, much less "blow the doors off" of any c6 vette with a driver who actually knows how to drive.... (most of em here cant drive and only bought them as a midlife crisis car. lol)

Actually you'd run dead even with em time wise on the 1/4 (which is still impressive as hell) anything beyond that, and they'd stomp a mudhole in you. (They'd run your butt down after you got the slight edge from the launch with the 4x4 boosted launch.)

bone stock 2006 C6 with the ls2 running a 12.2
http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...lip-10446.html

Bone stock again 12.4
http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...slip-5954.html

Bone stock again 12.6
http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...lip-10811.html

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 07-08-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Freak

Cummins is a sleve'd motor with commonrail injection and is damn near bulletproof. Definately not the dragster that the 6.0 Powerstroke is, but it's solid and makes ALOT of power with alot more in store with a few mnods (like a marine grade fuel pump and a little tuning) Cummins makes te best motor of th4e big three's suppliers, it's not an opinion, it's a matter of simple observed service life and comon knowledge.

Dave

Oh and Toyota makes a KILLER Turbo Diesel elswhere in the world, I drove a couple TD LC75's in Australlia and they are while smaller than our trucks here, very good driving very powerful motors. Plus they're toyota and they're bulletproof.

Oh yeah and speaking of not knowing a damn thing about diesels, NO cummins engine used in a pickup is sleeved. NONE of the ISB based engines are including the current 6.7L I6 in the 2008 models.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 07-20-2007 at 03:58 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:29 PM

give me a break

for all of you that say go with the cat diesel how would you propose going about that? the cat diesel is almost 200lbs heavier than the similar 4bt. even with the gusseting of the frame and cross bracing the torque pulses of that diesel would destroy that frame. the 4bt is a great motor no one can dispute that. and whoever said anything about mopar? cummins and mopar are 2 completely different company. if you want to get technical the cummins is 51% owned by ford as of a few years ago so you should switch up the details. Anyways mad props to the dude who put a 4bt in his yota. A 5.9 would be incredible and i really want pics because i dont know how you would fit that motor in there. once again mad props.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:03 AM

I've been staring at a lot of diesel engines in generators lately for work. There is a 2.2L Cummins that looks like it would fit nicely in my 93 Pick Up. Now if I can just get a couple of guys and get hold of a crane.....................hmmm...........then again the MP's on base may frown on us trying to hiest a generator from the government.

The Cats we have in some of our generators are downright HUGE. They are 12 Cyl gargantuan motors that are bigger than my whole truck.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
Im still waiting on a 3.0L Turbo Diesel Toyota motor fro some people down here, it ha less than 100, 000 miles on it and it s from a 1998 4Runner Diesel, i'll post swap pics when it is done. im not sure WHEN it will get here,i have been told i will take a few weeks to at most 3 months, cause i guess the motor is coming from europe i think. Duty paid though. And dont get so had on a Duramax diesel, Isuzu makes that and the only reason it sucks in a GM is because they mess with it after they get it from Isuzu.

actually, the duramax doesn't suck. It's just the most expensive of the diesels in light trucks. Cummins is probably the most reliable so far....I'd say duramax is next, followed by powerstroke. the 7.3L powerstroke seems to get issues after 170k.

and I'll tell you, my old man's 06 CTD 2500 ram will smoke any stock 06 powerstroke. And the CTD is bone stock. That truck is FAST. Midrange response and power is SICK. I got it to chirp tires into 2nd gear on the auto numerous times without doing anything special.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by chimmike
actually, the duramax doesn't suck. It's just the most expensive of the diesels in light trucks. Cummins is probably the most reliable so far....I'd say duramax is next, followed by powerstroke. the 7.3L powerstroke seems to get issues after 170k.

and I'll tell you, my old man's 06 CTD 2500 ram will smoke any stock 06 powerstroke. And the CTD is bone stock. That truck is FAST. Midrange response and power is SICK. I got it to chirp tires into 2nd gear on the auto numerous times without doing anything special.
We should set up a race sometime....

What's his curb weight and is it 4x4?

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 07-20-2007 at 03:07 PM.