Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Crankshaft sprocket removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crankshaft sprocket removal

Hello, I am new to this forum, so thanks for having me aboard.
I am in the process of taking out the crankshaft while leaving the rest of the engine alone, so that I can get it to the machine shop to see if it is salvagable after a spun rod bearing.
Like the title says I am at a dead stop at this crankshaft sprocket (hooks up with the timing belt). The manual says to use two flat head screw drives simultaniously, but this is not working. I have also tried to hit it up with some wd-40 and nada. IT IS IN THERE!!!
Is there any tools that ya'll no of. Or any other product other than WD-40. Or anything at all would help.
It is a 3vze 3.0.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:11 AM

i used a gear puller. came off fine
Old 04-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I used 2 big screwdrivers on mine, it eventualy came off. I couldn't find a puller that would fit.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:13 AM

gear puller...

LTrunner, do you remember where you got that puller from did you rent it from a parts store or did you buy it? I'll go to autozone and see if i can get creative with one of there rental tools.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
You can get a decent 3 prong gear pulley from sears for pretty cheap...
Old 04-18-2007, 12:30 PM

Okay, thanks guys. I found a three prong pulley tool for rent at advance auto parts that looks as if it'll do the job.
By the way, do you think that a How-To-Thread on pulling the crankshaft would be something worth of interest on this site?
Old 08-06-2012, 04:38 PM

bringing it back. i cannot get this off. i already chipped the edge of the sprocket. i put pb blaster all over it. tryed heating it up. wont budge. bending the edge of the sprocket. bolt and pulley came off with no problem. it even looks like the oil pump is newer. the screwdriver thing is a joke. i dont even see how you can get a puller behind it. there is only mayby a 1/4" gap if that. my puller has claws that are prob 1/2 thick.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Steering wheel puller works great for it. Take off the front part of the pulley(4 bolts on the front). And there should be 2 bolts in the steering wheel puller kit that will screw right into 2 of the 4 bolt holes.

Pulls off like a charm. Normally Toyota pulleys come off by hand but sometimes corrosion holds them on a bit.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:59 PM

Received 826 Likes on 653 Posts
Careful -- the sprocket has a Woodruff key (sort-of semi-circular). The rounded side is toward the crankshaft. If it sticks every-so-slightly to the sprocket, as you move the sprocket the key will rotate up in the crankshaft jamming against sprocket. If that happens you could pick up the whole truck by the sprocket; it won't come loose.

VERY gently tap the key back in. If it moved, that will move it back, and it will rotate back to flat as it goes. If it hadn't moved, you may rotate it very slightly in the other direction, but that doesn't matter. As you pull on the sprocket it will push it back against the crankshaft.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:07 PM

^Very possible but also very unlikely i've never seen that happen before. Odds of that are low but something to think about.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Steering wheel puller works great for it. Take off the front part of the pulley(4 bolts on the front). And there should be 2 bolts in the steering wheel puller kit that will screw right into 2 of the 4 bolt holes.
Pulls off like a charm. Normally Toyota pulleys come off by hand but sometimes corrosion holds them on a bit.
i got the pulley off with ease, its the sprocket i cant get off

Originally Posted by scope103
Careful -- the sprocket has a Woodruff key (sort-of semi-circular). The rounded side is toward the crankshaft. If it sticks every-so-slightly to the sprocket, as you move the sprocket the key will rotate up in the crankshaft jamming against sprocket. If that happens you could pick up the whole truck by the sprocket; it won't come loose.

VERY gently tap the key back in. If it moved, that will move it back, and it will rotate back to flat as it goes. If it hadn't moved, you may rotate it very slightly in the other direction, but that doesn't matter. As you pull on the sprocket it will push it back against the crankshaft.
this seems realistic, i just thought that key fits in there to snug to move at all. i will try this though. i get exactly what your talking about.i tryed tapping the sprocket inward just to mayby break it from its sticking point ever so slightly.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:23 AM

I used two flat heads... came right out... try doing it in a way you can keep it straight on the key way...
Old 08-08-2012, 05:34 PM

well. i got it off. but not without sweating some damge i have done. first off. this thing was seized for sure. screwdriver thing was a joke.

after i got it off last night i seen a post on youtube that some drill and tap two opposing holes on the sprocket face. insert bolts and use them for the puller. well that was to late. then i didnt realize gear pullers have very flat tabs on the end i could of used to get behind the sprocket. my cousin has one that he said would have been skinny enough to get behind it from the start. too late as well.

heres the damage

now i know there are micro sleaves that can be used on the rear seal and think i remember them being used on the front as well. the seal running a seam in the crank. can one be used here and where do i find these at?
i almost sits on the outside of the seal but def lays under the seal on most of the gouge. i dont wann take any chances and put it back together buy just throwing another seal on there.

im bummed. please help

Last edited by bensyota; 08-08-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:04 AM

Ooo... >_<

Thats no good...

Normally this should be avoided... unless the seal was leaking or the oil pump was leaking or faulty... i prob would have left it alone...

I've seen a few crankshaft repair sleeves before for the acctual shaft itself.... but most of them were installed on the crank with the crankshaft removed from the engine.... >_<

You could try and look online and buy one and try it... you will need a special driver(Tool) to install...

But they do sell em... tis your only option... or replace crankshaft...

Last edited by Kiroshu; 08-10-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:59 PM

I have priced them out. I beleive rockauto has them for about 5$ and the tool is like 22$. I decided to do this because I had the engine out and I'm replacing everything before I put it back in. Just didn't plan on this happening and it got me very upset. Would just like to hear where otheres have gotten theres and the opinions they have on them .
Old 08-12-2012, 10:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used a impact gun . Think I nearly took the whole engine apart, using a impact ratchet and gun. That's in the dark,with a flash light while it's still mounted to the mounts.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by budro
Hello, I am new to this forum, so thanks for having me aboard. I am in the process of taking out the crankshaft while leaving the rest of the engine alone, so that I can get it to the machine shop to see if it is salvagable after a spun rod bearing.
Like the title says I am at a dead stop at this crankshaft sprocket (hooks up with the timing belt). The manual says to use two flat head screw drives simultaniously, but this is not working. I have also tried to hit it up with some wd-40 and nada. IT IS IN THERE!!! Is there any tools that ya'll no of. Or any other product other than WD-40. Or anything at all would help.

Pulley became very wobbly loose. PS, AC Compressor, Alternator belts almost fell off. Removed pulley Bolt easily. Woodruff key kooks gnarled, can't figure out what to do with it. Can not remove sprocket by hand. HELP. How do I remove sprocket so I can replace the key, then the sprocket, then the pulley etc.? Is this type key readily available at say Advance Auto or Auto Zone? Thanks anyone.

Last edited by rworegon; 01-11-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DYIJack, what engine, year etc. are you working on?
Toyota dealer has been my source for the keys. Can't say I've ever tried the local parts store for them.
Does your crank pulley have the threaded holes already tapped into it?
Old 01-12-2015, 06:36 AM

Received 826 Likes on 653 Posts
The woodruff key is the common half-moon type. Sometimes, when pulling on the Harmonic balancer, the key starts to slide out. It moves up the "ramp" in the crankshaft and jams against the HB; pulling just makes it tighter. You MIGHT be able to gently tap the key back in, and then the HB should slide off easily.

Should. If you've gnarled the woodruff key, you may have gnarled the end of the crankshaft. I have no idea how to repair that, other than replace the crank.

Good luck!