Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

cost to have engine timed

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:26 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you test the O2 sensor per the procedure I linked above? If not, here it is again

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...42oxygense.pdf
Old 04-04-2009, 07:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
Did you test the O2 sensor per the procedure I linked above? If not, here it is again

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...42oxygense.pdf
Was going to, but forgot today. I'll test it tomorrow. Question though: what's DLC1 stand for? Also, it says to test at 68 degrees F. I don't have a thermometer anywhere. Can I just do the tests at full operating temp?
Old 04-05-2009, 05:10 AM
tc
Contributing Member

DLC1 is one of the wires/plug locations I think.

I think what they mean by 68F is "room temperature". Take the sensor inside the house to test it, that will be close enough. "Operating temperature" is going to be like 500F - a significant difference!
Old 04-05-2009, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by tc
DLC1 is one of the wires/plug locations I think.

I think what they mean by 68F is "room temperature". Take the sensor inside the house to test it, that will be close enough. "Operating temperature" is going to be like 500F - a significant difference!
Ok, good. I didn't want to get near the O2 sensor at operating temp. I like the skin on my arms just the way they are. I prefer not to be baked to my truck.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any smart guys know what the actual timing is on a 22rtec? I believe base timing is 10* instead of 5*, but what about under boost?
Old 06-27-2009, 02:10 PM
tc
Contributing Member

The 22rte isn't that advanced - you got regular vacuum advance and that's it
Old 06-27-2009, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vermontoyota
I see so many posts where people get shat on for asking questions. This guy could be a master welder and fabricator and who knows? Maybe he used to have a tacoma that was elec ignition or something and is just trying to relearn to ride the proverbial bicycle. Its great that some of you guys could swap tranny's when you were in diapers but dont forget that this forum is here largely to help eachother out, not lift ourselves up by putting each other down.
So true!

While I'm here. I need to ask this.
I asked a mechanic friend of mine to set my timing. He tells me that for the Toyota's (3.0's)he has to download info and get a special tool.
You guys are all swearing by timing light,3 chords and
5*btdc.

Am I to believe it is that simple? Yes...I have a timing light. Yes,I know how to hook it up and use it. Yes,I know how to loosen,turn and re-tighten my distributor.Yes,I know to recheck after tighten.
But is it that simple?

Is my friend just ditching me or is he being mislead by shop tactics? (He works for a Ford dealership,but none the less,he is a great mechanic over all).

If it's that simple...I'm on it 1st thing in the morning!
Old 06-27-2009, 03:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dutchboy
So true!

I asked a mechanic friend of mine to set my timing. He tells me that for the Toyota's (3.0's)he has to download info and get a special tool.
5*btdc.

Am I to believe it is that simple? Yes...I have a timing light. Yes,I know how to hook it up and use it. Yes,I know how to loosen,turn and re-tighten my distributor.Yes,I know to recheck after tighten.
But is it that simple?

Is my friend just ditching me or is he being mislead by shop tactics? (He works for a Ford dealership,but none the less,he is a great mechanic over all).

On a 22re it is indeed that simple. I would think the 3.0 would be just as easy.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:30 PM

I hope so...I'm determined to find out.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:34 PM

I hope so...I'm determined to find out.
It takes all of 5 minutes. You could be doing it now instead of posting......
Old 06-27-2009, 03:49 PM

I should update this

I got the engine timed, and been running smoothly. hasn't been purring like a motorcycle anymore. The o2 sensor code went away. Every code went away excelt the EGR and TPS code, which I'm currently messing with now.

Anyway, one day I just went out and tackled it and got it timed. All the help here was helpful (eh?) Thanks everyone. I now know how to time an engine (properly).
Old 06-27-2009, 06:22 PM

So true!

5*btdc.

But is it that simple?

If you would have been reading this thread you would know EXACTLY how to do it. You missed the step about jumping the connection under the hood. Nobody is "shatting" on anybody. Reading is your friend.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Justinlhc
If you would have been reading this thread you would know EXACTLY how to do it. You missed the step about jumping the connection under the hood. Nobody is "shatting" on anybody. Reading is your friend.
For"reading" education purposes

I did read the entire post and the part about jumping the connection.
To ask a further detailed question...out of the many "connections" under the hood...which are the ones to jump?
What I was originally saying was,that a mechanic friend of mine made this sound difficult,by telling me he needed to download info and have a special tool to do all this.

I'm tip toeing through this,as I have a 3.0 and I was curious to see what,if any,differences their were to checking the timing.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:31 PM

P.S. to "jump the diagnostic terminals",doesn't tell me a whole lot.(excuse me for sounding like a noob),but in order for me to understand that. I need a little more detail
Where is the diagnostic terminal and once I do find it...which of the numerous pins do I need to jump.
I don't mean to sound like a complete dumb...but I am not a Toyota dealership trained mechanic.
:>)
Old 06-28-2009, 04:27 PM

Smart Guys

Well what if, let's say, some punk-*** kid manages to get his dream truck put together but doesn't know too much about tuning it. Then he may find himself at the local Toyota Dealer and learn that the tech's there don't know either. Why is this? Well because all they need to know is if the parts the truck was originally equipped with are working or not. But what if someone were to, let's just say, remove the ECU, pull the AFM, and do away with the Distributor? I don't know anyone personally that knows what is going on with the set-up I've got, because it was built. - But I take my hat off to you all, for knowing how to "twist" yer "dizzy" and all. Maybe I should post, Factory Trained "Tech's" need not read on.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:34 PM

"EDIT: that diesel sound it the Toyota signature, its their way of saying they love you."
this is why you SHOULD pay someone to work on YOUR truck.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by nhughes
Well what if, let's say, some punk-*** kid manages to get his dream truck put together but doesn't know too much about tuning it. Then he may find himself at the local Toyota Dealer and learn that the tech's there don't know either. Why is this? Well because all they need to know is if the parts the truck was originally equipped with are working or not. But what if someone were to, let's just say, remove the ECU, pull the AFM, and do away with the Distributor? I don't know anyone personally that knows what is going on with the set-up I've got, because it was built. - But I take my hat off to you all, for knowing how to "twist" yer "dizzy" and all. Maybe I should post, Factory Trained "Tech's" need not read on.
My findings are,that their are way...way better mechanics on here than my local Yota dealerships.
Their are two Yota dealerships here in Lancaster,Pa and I haven't found a good mechanic in either of them. if I had,I would gladly pay for the shops to do the work that me and my mechaic friends have a hard time doing.
I'm very thankful to a lot of guys and gals on here for helping me through some situations that I have been through.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by nhughes
Maybe you should post "punk-*** kids need not post"...... I have no idea what your response meant, was supposed to mean or exactly what you were trying to express. If your "built" rig has some issues then post up the problems. Otherwise stop clogging up threads with "punk-*** kid" useless typing.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Maybe you should post "punk-*** kids need not post"...... I have no idea what your response meant, was supposed to mean or exactly what you were trying to express. If your "built" rig has some issues then post up the problems. Otherwise stop clogging up threads with "punk-*** kid" useless typing.

lol I'm glad I'm not the only one.