Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

chasing down this idle demon

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DupermanDave
I went and messed with the throttle some more. There's a lot of play in the throttle pulley when it's open. I made a video.

[youtube]gkKrrsnd8pM[/youtube]

No play when it's closed, but when it's open it wobbles. Is this normal or okay?

If the return spring looks a little greasy...it is. It was binding and causing the pulley to seize up.
GREAT GOOGAMOOGA~ That's a LOT of play. I think you found your problem...
Old 04-20-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TNRabbit
GREAT GOOGAMOOGA~ That's a LOT of play. I think you found your problem...
Yup. I just ordered another used TB on ebay. Hopefully this one won't have this problem.

I honestly don't know how that could have happened. I'm usually always careful with my stuff. But I guess if the new TB doesnt fix this...this thread will be making a comeback.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gurgling sound still coming from the air box... cant stop it... also vacuum leak still cant find it...

Dies when i pump the brake, gurgles from the air box when idling

Any suggestions??
Old 04-20-2009, 04:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey man...not to be an ass but you should really start your own thread rather than hijacking Duperman's. It only takes a second and many people will help you but it will get lost in this one and plus all is does is make this one more irrelevant to those that are searching for these topics in the future.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:56 PM

Another question before I let this thread die down. Is there supposed to be any play at all in the throttle pulley? It would be nice to know so when I get the other throttle body I can see if it's doing the same thing.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine doesn't seem to have any play at all.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:00 PM

grrr. put the TB back on and now the truck smokes again. It stopped smoking for a few weeks now. All of a sudden with the TB off...big plume of smoke!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:06 PM

Is there any progress with this issue?

By the way, I watched your video and then checked my throttle body. When i revved it, I did not have any play on my butterfly thingy. you may have pinpointed the issue.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by socal_style
Is there any progress with this issue?

By the way, I watched your video and then checked my throttle body. When i revved it, I did not have any play on my butterfly thingy. you may have pinpointed the issue.
No progress yet. Just waiting for the new throttle body. Once that and the new gasket are installed I'll see if the problem continues.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:11 AM

I have very similar symptons described with iratic idle.. Also, when I press the gas after sitting at a stop light, it takes a second before she actually responds to full "power".. its like the initial take off is delayed, not jerly or stalling, just "lack of power" at the very beginning.. Could this be EGR Valve?

I took the hose going to the EGR off, no change in idle... Blew in the hose, No change in idle... Does this tell me the EGR is bad?

thanks in advance//
Old 04-23-2009, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by yota4life6
I have very similar symptons described with iratic idle.. Also, when I press the gas after sitting at a stop light, it takes a second before she actually responds to full "power".. its like the initial take off is delayed, not jerly or stalling, just "lack of power" at the very beginning.. Could this be EGR Valve?

I took the hose going to the EGR off, no change in idle... Blew in the hose, No change in idle... Does this tell me the EGR is bad?

thanks in advance//
That could be a malfunctioning TPS.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by lilgreg46
I work in a shop for a living and the best tool I have in my box is a "smoker". This gem has saved me hours on tracking down leaks and made me look like a hero more than once. What it is a small heating element that heats baby oil to the smokeing point and pushes it into the engine at about 1.5 psi through a vac line ( I like to use the brake booster as it is easy to get to). Simple to use, disconect a line ( vac) and plug it in, look for smoke comming out and you found the leak! The point to this is you can either make one now that you know how they work or call around and ask if a shop local to you has one. The one I have is at this site http://www.redlinedetection.com/products.htm
Might help you understand what I am talking about. I hope this helps you....
this is a great tool for these kinds of problems. I use a similar device. Its a modified halloween smoke/fog machine.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:11 AM

Still waiting on the parts? I'm anxious.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
i am having a high idle problem after driving my truck as well. if found it to be a sticky dashpot, and my buddy has one that is frozen, wont go up or down. both trucks idle high as the dp wont let the tb close down all the way, when i got out to check the dashpot when it was idle high i just pushed it back down and its idle went down. im going to replace mine, but for now i have just used some 3 in 1 oil and it seems operational. you can get the dahspot for 82.99 at schmucks or order it online from them for 67.99 i think. good luck maybe this will help?...
Old 05-04-2009, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by blakehii
Still waiting on the parts? I'm anxious.
Yup. still waiting. Any day now. It's coming from canada. Just gotta have patience.

My dashpot seemed frozen too. Hopegully this new TB will have another one and another TPS. might just swap over my old TPS since I know that one works.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 05-04-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:04 PM

I've never took the time to look on a forum to find answers to this problem, never really cared that much as long as it was running. When i get home im gonna mess around under the hood a lil bit. I've been having these problems along with fuel problems since i rebuilt the engine. I'ts a shame i have all this money in it and finally bought another truck to haul it places and the damn thing just decides to quit running altogether. Huh, just my luck.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:02 PM

My part came in. Going to soak it in vinegar overnight to get all the corroded looking bits off and make it shiny. Gonna install it tomorrow.

The dashpot on it actually moves!!!!! I've never seen one actually move!!!!! lol.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:34 PM

I had an erratic idle problem in my 92? 3.0L this winter when I was working on raising my mpg with tuneup stuff and driving style. I was getting really close to 20mpg. The rpms would run anywhere from 800 to as high as 2000. I took it to my mech and he ran some tests and found that he could not adjust the distributor to to specs and deduced that the timing belt had slipped a notch. (I was informed by the guy I got the truck from that the timing belt was replaced at the time this engine was installed some 20,000 miles ago.)
Anyway, he got into the belt and found that the belt tensioner was missing one bolt and the second one was working its way out as well. After fixing that the idle settled down to a 800-900rpm norm and the best I can get now on mpg is 15-17. Hope that is not your problem but is worth looking into.
Now that warm weather has begun I have another problem with rpm, some times when I start from cold it runs only around 400-500 and stalls if I don't rev it a bit when I let out the clutch. But that's just another thing to deal with.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:01 PM

Please update this thread as soon as you install your intake. I'm curious on the results.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:55 AM

I'm pretty anxious myself. Just got the part all cleaned up. I was going to install it last night, but I was busy all day working with the new subaru. I didn't want to install it last minute and find a vacuum leak on the way to work causing me to break down.

I'm trying to get time off today to put it in. Will update it as soon as my hands are washed after putting it in :-)

Quick Reply: chasing down this idle demon