Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
ya'll are freaking genius... I couldn't figure that one out myself

good job!

Name:  cover.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  206.2 KB
Old 05-20-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks ovrrdrive. You seem to know your stuff pretty well. And your right about the forum being a little slow. I have got some good info from here but there seems to be alot of conflicting ways here between the members on whats good and whats not. On other forums, its been easy to determine whats good by quality and whats good by opinion. Here the search button is a toss up.

As for the money, not as much of a concern as having the right parts, and a good job done. No i'm not rich, but I also know that doin a half a$$ job costs more money in the long run. So, I figure, while the motor is apart, do it all. I'm still contemplating just the timing job and head.

My problem here is that the turbo 22re seems to be less common and I don't know which parts to buy . I have read that the ret comes with upgraded pistons and makes me wonder what else needs to be "upgraded" for this application.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd love to claim that I'm just a genious and know everything but there's a reason I can spot this one and seem to know a little about it....

Just before I joined the forum I had a rebuilt engine with less than 8k on it shatter a timing guide that dropped down to the lower timing gear and went through between the chain and gear that broke the case and bent all 4 of my intake valves when the gear spun. I leaned quite a bit about this job when that happened... I tried to half ass it the first time and still had water going in the oil so I bought another gasket set and did it again and cut a few less corners than the first time and then found out I had bent valves. On the third time going in I replaced everything including the head and the engine was still running great when I sold the truck. Although I must admit that after all I went through with that motor I never really had a lot of confidence in it again.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By the way, where are you located?

There's a great group of guys here in Central Florida that can do anything with these trucks. If you're around here look them up. www.fattshack.com
Old 05-20-2010, 07:29 PM

I'm in tucson az so it would be a drive. There are some pretty good shops here to with all the desert and mountins to wheel. I just like to get as much knowledge as I can on my own and if I don't think its worth trying to do myself i'll take it in. I'd like to learn but I'll save that for something that I don't rely on as much to get me around. Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:08 PM

Mystery metal in pan

I currently have my 22RE apart for the same issue and here's what I found:
I had some pieces of the driver side guide in the pan, but also a bigger chunk that was loosely riding the chain inside the tower, which had been making a small noise of it's own (on acceleration/deceleration). Now those little pieces in the pan began as a whole guide and they could only get that munched up by zinging thru the slapping chain and drive gear. That puts you at risk of having severely jumped timing/or bent valves.As far as the MYSTERY METAL- There is a thin-walled semi-circular casting at the lower end of the tc cover made to limit the chain slop. Perhaps a 1/2" square piece of that was found in my pan-pretty chewed up. It came off the end, so you had to look closely and barely tell the tc cover was missing a small bit and the geometry of that semicircle wasn't true.
Haven't taken the head to the shop yet, but I turned the head upside down and filled the valves with water and they didn't leak! Still, it's going to the shop, to have the valves checked for peace of mind. Good luck!