Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

carb help

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carb help

Hi, for those that have seen my build thread i finally drove my toyota 2 hours home. it starts beautifully as long as it isnt colder than minus 10 celcius, and it idles great all day. first off i should back up, its an 86 toyota sr5, but the old owner for whatever reason butchered the wiring harness and put an older 22r in. the carb needs work. it will start fine in moderate to warm weather and idle great, but todays the first time i took it on the highway for a long period of time and i found after the engine got hot as soon as i let off the gas to down shift or came to a stop the engine instantly died. this doesnt happen around town or when the engine isnt hot. but after an hour on the highway it started doing it. it runs just fine as long as you have your foot on the gas but you let off to downshift from 5th or 4th, 4th to 3rd,etc it stalls instantly and you have to dump the clutch in the lower gear to bump start the engine again. im convinced its carb related but i know nothing about carbs which is embarassing to say since im an automotive technician by trade lol. any help from people with more experience would be greatly appreciated. i suspect a vacuum leak maybe?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 AM

Make sure the idle cut off solenoid is getting good power and actually functioning, mine wasn't so I ended up just removing the small o-ring from the end. If the solenoid doesn't move it cuts off the idle circuit in the carb which will drastically throw off the mixture. Also make sure the choke is functioning correctly. My carb truck will start with one tap of the gas pedal in temps down into the teens (Fahrenheit)

That does of course assume it's got a Toyota carb on it, if it's a weber carb they like to ice up because of the lack of provisions for warm air intake in the air cleaner. Best fix for that I've found is to toss some fuel dryer like Heet in your fuel.

This site will tell you almost everything you need to know about setting up a Toyota carb. http://www.bluebassdesign.com/boonin/carb_faq

Last edited by TrikeKid; 01-28-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 PM

great ill read into it. thanks alot. the choke is functioning. as for the idle cut off solenoid i need more info to be sure on that. to the best i can tell it is a yota carb. its a full factory 22r
Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 PM

Really easy way to check the solenoid is simply to remove the o-ring like I did to get around my inoperable one. Only downside is that the truck may or may not diesel/run on on shutoff, I think I've got another tuning issue somewhere causing that in mine though, easy enough to live with for me to just drop the clutch in gear when I shut the truck off.