86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

camping in a 1st gen 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 12:34 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I want to do this also, but so many mods are in the way first.
A question, since the bed area is only 5'7", couldn't you get a few inches from folding the front seats forward? I know they don't 'fold' but opposite of recline.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:36 PM
HMH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a similar platform setup in my '84 pickup (longbed). 7'-2" with a closed tailgate = plenty of room to strecth out.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RBX
, since the bed area is only 5'7", couldn't you get a few inches from folding the front seats forward?
Yes you can.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:28 PM

I just throw a Cabela's tent/cot in back, that way don't need to unload everything. .02
Old 01-03-2011, 04:56 PM

I get 5'7" with the rear seats folded forward, maybe 5'8" if I push it. Once I'm overtop of that rear seat, I'll tilt the front seats forward and unhinge the front flap and that give me the rest of distance I need.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my $.02:

i use a twin size air mattress. it can be inflated with one of those little plastic accordion foot pumps pretty quickly. the twin size fits between the wheel wells, and sits about as high. this leaves the four corners of your bed for putting your shoes n' stuff, and it stays in the corner and out of the bed. with the rear head rests off, the seat backs fold flat. then lean the front seatbacks forward. this will allow a pair of 6' bodies to fit. there's a bit of an incline but its at the "pillow end" so it's not noticeable. i prefer to leave the tailgate down, but if it rains i can pull it shut no problem. i have a canback so i don't use the rear window at all.

the consequence of a sleep platform is head room. you can't drink beer and play cards in the back on a rainy day if you can't sit up straight. also, if you're going to build a bed platform, you may want to consider ditching the roll bar. it may make you feel claustrophobic each time you have to slide in n' out under it. i hit my head on it enough i finally went to track down one of the OEM pads on fleabay.

if the mattress is bigger than twin, like a futon size, it may wind up folding up some on one or both sides so the sleep surface is slanted. i had this problem using a futon in a bronco II so i like the air mattress better. i can customize my firmness, then a few layers of blankets make it perfect.

also, air mattress valves go toward the tail gate end for easier refilling. nightly refilling is typical if you want it to stay firm enough to crawl around on.

i use a mosquito net too. $15 green net from any cheap camp supply. attach it at the corners to your top, then tuck it under your mattress so you can leave all the windows open without getting eaten up.

Name:  trucktent.jpg
Views: 5822
Size:  105.5 KB

one other thing about camping in the truck: you become an expert at takin' a leak while sitting on the end of the tail gate, so you don't have to put shoes on and climb down. just keep a gatorade bottle handy.

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 01-03-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 AM

tj- I like the idea of the mosquito netting. I've got some of that stuff laying in my garage and never even thought to put it in my rig. Will do so for the next trip so my lady and I don't wake up with a bunch of extra nipples in the morning.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:33 PM

BC4runner88,
I've been considering bed arrangement similar to your design. what are your likes/dislikes with the setup shown in your photos?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by motocaveman
BC4runner88,
I've been considering bed arrangement similar to your design. what are your likes/dislikes with the setup shown in your photos?

The design is good, it all depends what you are wanting to do with it. After using it for a trip this winter I realized I didn;t need it to hinge so the back seats can be used. That aspect was a challenge to work into the design and weakened the general unit.

Also, I didn't put in hatches on the top to access what is underneath so to access bags or gear that is deeper in, I have to pull ˟˟˟˟ out of the way an dive in head first. My next prototype will most likely be a solid piece with hatches on top to get into access the bags.

And use a thinner mattress!! Wow, a 6" pad is too thick, unneeded and a waste of precious space.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:05 PM

I took my rear bench out and made a plywood "seat delete", so no rear seating to worry about for me. as for deep storage, I wonder how difficult it would be to make some 4 foot deep drawers...... maybe use garage door tracks and rollers instead of traditional drawer rollers.....

I like the hatch access idea a lot better though, considering weight savings and ease of construction. Drawers would weigh a ton, take forever, and are a bit out of reach of my entry level carpentry skills.

Last edited by motocaveman; 01-07-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:56 AM

Yeah, I've seen one photo with the drawers and it looks super heavy and limited the storage space. As you can see from my photo, I had a cooler, little BBQ, snowboard bag, ski bag and a few duffel bags with food and clothes. So it would suck to loose the storage space I had, especially when I'm thinking about lowering the platform a little on my second design to leave more room for other recreational activities up top.

Here is a photo of the one with drawers, it looks professionally made though.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:59 AM

I love how now that it's getting closer to spring time all the "camping in a 4runner" threads are coming back to life.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:31 AM

side efffect of cabin fever
Old 01-08-2011, 10:54 AM

i used a futon matress in my long bed and it was comfy,
Old 01-09-2011, 08:39 AM

Hmmmm.... I wonder how hard it would be to get a mass camping trip together this year. Maybe a coast to coast call to all 4runner owners on here. We could all meet up in a central location and compare camping mods over a 3 or 4 day weekend.

Might have to look into that.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:57 PM

You'll have to give me time to perfect my design. Might take a few more prototypes. haha
Old 01-10-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by BC4runner88
You'll have to give me time to perfect my design. Might take a few more prototypes. haha
I know what you mean. I took two days to go through my camping gear and repack/re-inventory stuff and am now trying to figure out how to get more gear in the runner.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:08 PM

Go minimal! Having a ton of stuff to pack in and out is a PITA! Only the essentials.....

ABSOLUTE essentials:
Beer
Bottle Opener
Hot dogs, buns, and mustard
4runner
Big knife

Not so easy when i get the wife to come along....
Old 01-10-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by motocaveman
Not so easy when i get the wife to come along....
Who said wives are aloud to come? And, what about the portable BBQ, much easier than a campfire if the weather is the pits.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:13 PM

Junkers88, good idea about the 4runner mass camping! like a 4runner camping workshop, let me know, i'll drive my '86

Quick Reply: camping in a 1st gen 4runner