Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

anyone done LC engineering upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freerider17
does switching to a good ceramic header help keep the engine cooler at all, or is it vise versa? i have always done every thing i could to keep my engines running cool. my bugs all have external oil coolers and a few other cooling related mods. are the things like that available for the 22re?
They wont make it run any cooler but the underhood temps will be cooler.. so there will be less heat for things to absorb.

Originally Posted by BRreddog
Engine Bay not engine. Headers always make your engine bay hotter than the stock cast manifold. Ceramic coating keeps the heat in the header pipe until it vents out the tail pipe.
I would say that my underhood temps are noticibly lower with my ceramic header than my OEM manifild... yes there is more surface area, but if the surface of that area is cooler then the overall temp will be cooler. And the truck cools down SOOO much faster, which is nice if you want to do engine work after getting home.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:37 AM

Been a few years, but yeah:

EFI Pro/Street Performer 22re long block
big bore throttle body
all new equalized injectors
K&N filter charger kit (bought from them at the same time)
their old 16 gauge headers (YUCK!)
pro clutch kit, heavy duty pressure plate, clutch, pilot bearing, throw-out, alignment tool
30lb hi-torque flywheel
new LCEFi Pro distributor <--recurved for performance
2 1/4" free flow cat and muffler

Ready for the pain part? $4,990 back in late 1999 not even installed or including the JetChip ECU upgrade I did later. (not including $ back from core charges and selling the old long block around $400 I think)
Zippy? Yes.
Turn over the tires admittedly even with only 31s and 4:10 gears? Yup.
Loud as all get out and makes people think a race car is coming after them? Yup.
Would I ever do it again? No way in hell. For the same amount of $$ I could probably pay somebody to put in a Chevy 4.3 or Toyota 3.4 and have lots more power. But, at the time I had some $, no son, and nobody I trusted to do a motor swap.
If you are only into getting some mods without the complete engine, obviously the numbers drop dramatically. If I was just doing a rebuild and looking for power and was only going to use them, the Street Performer head, big bore throttle body and headers will do pretty much as much as all the rest will gain you.
I still have that motor in an '85 4Runner and I can't make up my mind if I want to just stick it in my '93 4Runner or sell/trade the '85 for getting a 3.4/4.3 swap and sas on the '93.
Unfortunately, all that money 7+ yrs later doesn't count for jack on resale LOL!
Shutting up now...

Last edited by Fahrenheit 451; 04-14-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:44 AM

I just put the LCE header on my 91 22re, had magnaflow cat and muffler welded on and I installed the K&N intake. High end power improvement is there for sure but its still sluggish off the line. I think a cam is needed to improve that and a gear change to compensate for the tires. I have heard different things about the oversized TB though, that it is only useful on direct injected EFI, not muli-port. The LCE header is great though, fits perfectly and really was the same price that the coated Downey would have been. So go for it.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:39 AM

From LCE i like the EFI A/F gauge and control,headers: been pretty good no troubles,big TB mated to Supra AFM,adjustable cam gear:hooked up to my Egnbldr 270 cam at 5 degrees.rocker assembly & valve cover.Crank and rods with ARP stud & bolt.
Ive tried the EFI package on my other truck I sold but its overpriced compared to Engnbldr Street RV head that I have now.
Id go with Engnbldr first with the cam,head,overhaul parts,timing chain and then go with LCE cam gear & headers & big TB.
My set-up runs strong and its fun to drive around the town and on the sand.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:35 AM

I have an LCE charger kit i have been waiting to instal. The quality of the parts looks good.I wish i would have got the lCE header rather then the downey tho. I guess we will see what happens.