92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:52 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
ok so i started taking stuff apart....
an example of my labeling
[IMG][/IMG]

marked the distributor ( i hope this is the way i was supposed to do it....too late if not)
[IMG][/IMG]

got the air conditioner out of the way....
[IMG][/IMG]

this bolt got a slightly rounded head ....argued with it for a while...
[IMG][/IMG]

this, i assume, is part of the timingchain guide that got caught up in everything.....and this is the part that concerned me....it prevented me from just pulling the distributor out, had to wiggle and move the gear a little to un-stick the plastic.....hope that little episode doesn't bite me on the butt later...
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

power steering pump out of the way...
[IMG][/IMG]

i love cardboard.......
[IMG][/IMG]

for those of you WITH a/c, you know THIS view just isn't possible. Wouldn't it be nice to just be able to reach in from the font of the engine to spin the filter instead of taking a wheel off?
[IMG][/IMG]

and another YOTATECH snap-shot....this time, notice the YODA sticker....
[IMG][/IMG]

That's it for today. Next up is pobably take the alternator off and out of the way and maybe start on the passengers side of the engine etc...

today was a HUGE undertaking in my eyes and as well i feel i am nearly at the point of no return...........feels good though.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:44 PM

i know that when i get back to my world of painting stuff when i'm ready to put this back together, the parts are getting painted like a box of crayolas......i had such a time finding bolts in the dark black on black world that i need sme sort of contrast to see the dang blots.
maybe i will CHROME everything...that should add like a 100 horsepower ehh??

the power steering, by far was the hardest to get apart, seemded like massive overkill the amount of bolts holding all that together.

while i'm at it, what should i do with that hose that comes off the water-pump...looks like its about 10 inches long and a little bulgy at the water pump....while i'm there i may as well change it.

holy crap!! on the little hoses though. the pictures i posted are about 1/10th of what ive taken. i'm a nervous wreck lookng at these little things wondering if i'm ever going to get them back where they belong.

i pretty sure that since i've gone this far, and since my rockers etc looked such a mess, i will just pull the head. just gonna keep plugging along until i get there. no sense in doing a half-a**ed job.

need some advice how to drop the pan. "drop the diff"...sorry, don't know what that means, or even how to go about such a thing....this is where YOTATECH is going to have to kick in.......i'm truly in foreign territory right now, everything i do, i do for the 1st time

gotta try to figure out what to spend money on 1st.

by the way i DID NOT loosen the crankshaft bolt yet. i AM NOT going to do the "tap the starter" trick and i believe i am too far gone to do that anyway. i am fairly strong and i feel that with PB Blaster ,a breaker bar and a good breakfast, i should be able to muscle anything at all. i feel that if i am replacingthe chain,sprocket etc......can't i just wedge a handle in the to lock it off and then spin the bolt?

anyhoo....i'm done for today....i'm off again tomorow, maybe i will do some of the intake side junk....SLOWLY aand methodically.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
ew man, that does look like a mess...

good job so far with the progress; at least you have some helpers, cause it took me 3 months to do mine all by myself lol

Old 09-16-2009, 02:53 PM

ya know what's funny?

that mess is probably after the thermagasket cae through the hole fromthe timing chain.

other than the water / oil goop (which has ince mostly evaporated), it looks like it's going to be a fairly straight-forward project. hopefully no major hurdles. i feel much more confident today than any other day about doing this. GO ME!
Old 09-16-2009, 04:56 PM

ok guys........

i SEARCHED.

How in the name of all that is holy, do i remove my oil pan.

i'm sure it's full of junk, maybe even some spare change, but definitely my chain guide parts are in there.

my FSM is SOOOOOOOO un-noobie friendly, i guess if you are supposed to be reading it you have some knowledge already and don't have to be searching around.

HAYNE's says remove the steering linkage (OK????? how do i do THAT?????) and "the crossmember must be removed (at least there's a picture of that).

in trying to do a complete and correct job, this seems like a necessity ( to clean out the oil pan....and paint it, of course (or chrome for extra HP)LOL!
Old 09-16-2009, 06:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Alright, you have a great start!!! The vacuum lines should not be all that bad, at least mine were not. Most of them held shape and I could reconnect them correctly (I think I did). Just as long as you have the pictures you will be fine.

As far as pulling the oil pan, I have not done it. I'll crawl under the pickup tomorrow and see what there is to see. I'm not sure what all you have to pull to get it out but you do have to get it out. Here is something that I have found though "Remove the steering dampener and the crossmember. Then, unbolt the motor mounts from the frame and jack the motor up under the oil pan (use a piece of wood on the jack so you don't damage the oil pan). raiese the engine up just enough to slip a pice of 2x4 wood under each motor mount and let the engine back down to rest on the wood. This should give you plenty of clearance to remove the oil pan."

if that does not help out...Hmmmm Well what I do is not always the best way. I tend to take stuff apart and keep going until I get the results I want. May have to do that. Take all the little bolts out and see how it slides, May have to lift the motor a wee bit, I hope you don't have to drop the front Diff (front differential, pumpkin ball) if so that's a mess with the suspension.

For the Crank bolt, well that's going to be a fun one. Lock the front hubs put it in 4hi and 5th gear with the e-brake on and the wheels chucked. It should break alright after that. You will want to put a screw dirver in the hole of the cam crank gear when you go to break that loose. Do this before you break the head bolts.

I'll try and do some more looking around tomorrow for an easy way to pull the pan.

Good to see some progress and that you are feeling more comfortable in it!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This might help in the future with your vacuum lines
the thick black lines are the factory pipe routing that connect the rubber lines too the vsv's and the rest of the vacuum parts.

A bit of advice , for what it gives you just order ENGNBLDRS Master kit and get everything you need so you can replace the pistons and rings , since your going to have the oil pan off might as well replace the bearings and all the parts are in the kit and the new oil pump is included along with the the timing chain kit for $229 shipped you can't beat it , just order the standard piston's ring's and bearing's and add the timing cover to it.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:09 AM

olharley and lumpy....

THANKS!

i think i'm gonna give it a shot with me just doing the top end though.
given the amout of corrosion on everything due to road salt / etc, i think i'm gonna let the oil pan ordeal wait. i'm not going to disregard it's importance, i just think if i have "too many irons in the fire" i'm destined to screw something up.

i'm also thing about this "steering relay" recall i've been getting in the mail about once a year for the past several years but haven't taken advantage of it......is this even remotely close to what i would have to mess with to drop the pan? what i'm getting at is if i get my head and timing cover etc etc etc buttoned back up by me, would it be worth it to take it to the dealer after that to get the RECALL work done and have them drop the pan then? OR NOT?? I'm so indecisive when it comes to this stuff.

Anyway, probably nothing much going to happen today, i'm off but have running around to do......in my travels i do plan on getting a breaker bar and probably a 19mm wrench since i only have one 19mm socket that i know of and check out torque wrenches.

OLHARLEY....PM me if you get a chance about the Timing cover and video (i didn't forget you....just have to wait for these DANG paydays....seem like they get farther apart)...an i will let you know. I know engnbldr is not unreasonable when it comes to everything, so i may just say for you to keep your cover (for you if you end up needing it ever)..but i would be curious about the video.

i hope my thread is helpful to newbies (like me)......i've been trying to document those little steps along the way that when someone like me is contemplating doing this, are really intimidating.....i may just edit my pics to reflect more of the nitty-gritty work.

Thanks everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i never would have even dreampt about doing this had it not been for me tripping across YOTATECH New Year's Eve (sober I might add, sitting with my boys waiting for the ever-elusive midnight)

~~~~~Jerry
Old 09-17-2009, 05:33 AM

Well the thing is if you don't drop the pan you are going to be leaving a mess of mocha late in the pan. Years ago, I did the HG on a Bronco with a 300, I had a creamy mess, all I did was the head. A weak after getting it together I spun a bearing...I did not have the time to rebuild myself so I had a friend pull it and I took it up to get rebuilt. Just a little something to consider.

I don't think the Steering Relay Recall they'll pull the pan.

I know you don't want to and you maybe alright but I do think the consensus here is to at least drop the pan and clean it out.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:38 AM

yeah.

again it's the jitters.

i talk out of both sides of my mouth sometimes with this stuff.

like i said before, since everything i do, i do for the 1st time i'm real uneasy about all of it.

will just keep pluggin' along....speak later, gotta run.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:36 PM

Did I ever tell you what I've been driving since July of last year......????

Get ready.......................

It's awesome........and no I'm not nearly old enough to be driving it......

[IMG][/IMG]

SWEEEEEET 1996 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, 143,000 iles, Northstar V-8, FRONT WHEEL DRIVE !!!...bought it 2 days after my truck died last summer, almost put it up for sale very shortly before my truck died the 2nd time.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:22 PM

I see your Caddy and raise you a Lincoln!!!

01 LS with about 155k on her now. She has turned into a Sunday car since I picked up the truck last Nov. Not a good picture but she sure is purdy and handle like a dream!!!

She's a V8 with the sport package.

Last edited by Lumpy; 09-17-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:43 PM

that's it...i got an idea for a new thread.....
Old 09-17-2009, 04:51 PM

I'll tell you though, you can't beat the ride of a Caddy...the LS is nice but it's all sport. I bet that Caddy just floats on the highway!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 04:56 PM

AND gets 21mpg
Old 09-17-2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
AND gets 21mpg
Not bad at all. I can squeeze 25 but that's only heading to Myrtle Beach, mostly down hill I get about 22 coming home. That caddy is much bigger and has a much bigger engine.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:19 PM

yeah, so it didn't even qualify as a CLUNKER....so i had to keep it. Oh well.....
Old 09-17-2009, 05:27 PM

That would have been a shame to clunker.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:30 PM

i agree...
Old 09-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
man I can't wait to get my Camaro

I'll finally be able to whore out something OTHER than my Toyota, lol

Quick Reply: 92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread