86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

89 pickup 22re runs way to lean

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 07:20 AM
YT Community Team

Received 851 Likes on 604 Posts
Just out of curiosity, where does the adjusting bolt sit in the slot for the distributer? is it in the center, or off to the side?
Old 04-15-2024, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimkola
Just out of curiosity, where does the adjusting bolt sit in the slot for the distributer? is it in the center, or off to the side?
Ill send a picture of the distrubutor tomorrow when there is more light.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jimkola

Old 04-17-2024, 03:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Things to Try

That is a nice looking truck!

Here are a few things to check out.

1. Inspect all the grounds thoroughly. There was a thread recently with a guy that had a similar issue, and he also spent a ton of time trying to figure it out. It ended up being one of the grounds that had frayed somewhere along the wire. If I remember correctly, the cable was intact enough to conduct current with a test light, but upon physical inspection he found the damaged area. Basically, the intermittent ground was preventing the injectors from fully functioning.

2. Replace the o-ring for the throttle adjustment screw. It's likely that has not been changed and can be a potential source for a vacuum leak since it's a 30 year old piece of rubber. (The o-ring is the same size as the ones used for the fuel injectors.)

3. Double check the vacuum line routing, especially EGR delete. Ensure that any block-off plate for the EGR delete has a good gasket. Ensure that the 10k ohmresistor in in place.

Old 04-17-2024, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by 89-4RNR-GUY
That is a nice looking truck!

Here are a few things to check out.

1. Inspect all the grounds thoroughly. There was a thread recently with a guy that had a similar issue, and he also spent a ton of time trying to figure it out. It ended up being one of the grounds that had frayed somewhere along the wire. If I remember correctly, the cable was intact enough to conduct current with a test light, but upon physical inspection he found the damaged area. Basically, the intermittent ground was preventing the injectors from fully functioning.

2. Replace the o-ring for the throttle adjustment screw. It's likely that has not been changed and can be a potential source for a vacuum leak since it's a 30 year old piece of rubber. (The o-ring is the same size as the ones used for the fuel injectors.)

3. Double check the vacuum line routing, especially EGR delete. Ensure that any block-off plate for the EGR delete has a good gasket. Ensure that the 10k ohmresistor in in place.
Thank you! I checked the vaccuum lines made sure everuthing was plugged in or plugged as needed. Sprayed starter fluid while truck was running around the engine to see if it would Rev up it was good. The throttle body is brand new to include the o rings.

Now tracing all the grounds. That should be a fun time but i will. I'm waiting on the knock sensor and oem tps replacement. I'm going to swap those two to clear the code on the truck now and then go from there. Thank you all for so much help and insight
Old 04-22-2024, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jb.86
Thank you! I checked the vaccuum lines made sure everuthing was plugged in or plugged as needed. Sprayed starter fluid while truck was running around the engine to see if it would Rev up it was good. The throttle body is brand new to include the o rings.

Now tracing all the grounds. That should be a fun time but i will. I'm waiting on the knock sensor and oem tps replacement. I'm going to swap those two to clear the code on the truck now and then go from there. Thank you all for so much help and insight
After a couple months a few guys, myself, and a certified mechanic shop and thousands of dollars I cut my loss and sold the truck last weekend. I redid all the ground wires changed the knock sensor and the tps again. Checked all wires and it still ran the same. I posted it for sale and had it sold within 3 mins. Was kind of crazy how many calls I got. But off to another project I'm sure. I know this is a yota forum but I'm thinking porsche cayenne overlander. Any thoughts?