86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

89 4Runner Tailgate Window Motor (yay)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
89 4Runner Tailgate Window Motor (yay)

So, I bought a 1st gen 4Runner a few weeks back that was shall we say “mistreated” in her previous life. I’ve been working out odds and ends the last couple weeks and during my lunch break today I went to roll down the rear window and now I can’t roll it back up, but can continue to roll it down. Originally thought the contacts for the switch could be corroded as the window would roll up and down the last few times but was never consistent (for reference, my center console switch isn’t even wired up, I can only use the key at this time as there are no wires currently running to my center console).

With that being said, I’m guessing my motor is in the process of shall we say “un-engineering itself”, if it haven’t already. As of now I’m looking for recommendations for replacements, since working in a Toyota parts department only gets me so far with discontinued parts.

Will also take suggestions for methods of getting the window to roll back up. Trying to use the key and pulling up on the window doesn’t seem to be working.
Old 04-23-2024, 03:00 PM
YT Community Team

Received 851 Likes on 604 Posts
There's a switch in the left rear 1/4 panel that won't let the window roll up if the top has been removed. It lines up with one of the bolt holes for the top, and when a bolt is inserted it hits a trigger on the switch to let the window roll up. The proper bolt for that hole is a bit longer than the rest, and if the wrong bolt gets put in then the switch won't get activated. I forget which bolt hole, but it's just behind the left rear wheel well.
Here's a parts diagram showing it. # 84880A

Old 04-23-2024, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jimkola
There's a switch in the left rear 1/4 panel that won't let the window roll up if the top has been removed.
I haven’t had the top off since I bought it but the previous owner did. I tested the rear window when I went to buy it and it worked better then but has since proceeded to decline in usability. With that being said, do you think the switch itself could be faulty? I haven’t checked the bolts yet so I can’t verify whether or not they’re the correct length, but it’s been a steady decline which is what led me the motor potentially failing.

Wouldn’t happen to know the length that bolt is supposed to be do you? Toyota’s catalogs aren’t the greatest for giving any sort of detail other than part numbers.
Old 04-23-2024, 03:53 PM
YT Community Team

Received 851 Likes on 604 Posts
Actually, the bolt part number often does have the bolt mm length as the last part.
Toyota's part numbering system is pretty brilliant once you figure it out.
But back to your current problem. No, with that info i doubt that switch i mentioned is the issue. You can open up the tailgate and lube all the pivots, and I'd pull out the rubber runs and clean and silicone those. I think that motor is the same as the passenger door window(assuming you have power windows) you could swap them and see if that makes a difference.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:44 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
https://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTr...arWindow.shtml

I would look there if you haven’t. I had this issue years ago with the window going down fine, but struggled to go up. I replaced the little relays in the module and it’s been fine all these years. There’s 4 in there. 1 pair for each up/down function from the console switch or the tailgate key.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:41 AM
osv

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
the good news is that those relays appear to be in stock, they disappeared during covid, apparently due to supply chain issues... here is the 4crawler part number link, be sure and confirm it for yourself: https://www.newark.com/omron-electro...10a/dp/35K4530

his amazon link includes a bunch of generic relays with the wrong pinouts, be careful with it.

i replaced those relays years ago, but with the cloth top i never used the rear window, and now it's stuck down again, won't raise up :-/