Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

88 4Runner "Restoration"

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably, the tires a piece of ˟˟˟˟. Im pretty sure it would deflate as soon as any weight is put on it, hah.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea the rest of the tires were pretty dried out. I got the only one that was in best shape of the 4.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:43 AM

Well yesterday was pretty good, and expensive, day. I started the morning out by finally getting a new bumper.

Old bumper off

New bumper on

The view from the captains chair

It was pretty hot and my car wouldnt start and just clicked when I tried starting it so guess its time for a new starter.
After pulling the old one out I noticed it was the original. Not bad for 24 years of service.

I also removed the sway bar because I'm tired of trying to make turns and rubbing my tires on it. After taking it off and checking some stuff I saw this. A set a spares for the car. I have no idea how Ive missed them over the years but at least I have a free set now. I was also having some idling problems so I looked at the vacuum lines and noticed the stupid like going to the fuel pressure regulator was unplugged so hopefully that fixes that.
Heres a picture of it all back together and painted, until I get some new turn signals the good ol zip ties will work.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*deleted*

Last edited by NickMiller; 03-28-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:26 PM

Nice man, yours looks pretty clean.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:34 PM

Well finally fixed the exhaust leak i had, the bolts were super loose and one was missing so I dont know what was going on there

Heres what happens when I work on stuff, ghetto tools

Im having a problem thats getting worse, after driving my car for a little while and turning it off I have a problem getting it started and if/when it starts it idles like crap (it almost dies out). I purchased a fuel filter and will put it on soon and my head gaskets good. Any ideas of what it might be? Oh and is this part stock?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jmc88runner
Put a Rancho steering stabilizer on, man this thing helps

So when I bought the car the rear seats worked by a L bar across the back holding the seats up and a piece of rebar with metal wire all ghetto rigged to hold the rear seats in place. It was terrible, I couldnt put up with it anymore and found a set of all the rear seat brackets on ebay for 90 freakin bucks, knowing I was getting ripped off I bought them so it could be done. Now trying to install them I found out I have 2nd gen seats.

So I guess I'll be using that L bar a little long till I figure it out.
Check out my contributions to this post for how I relocated the rear seat latch brackets: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-swap-118423/
Old 07-17-2012, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool rig mine had the same decals. BTW your 4runner is a truck not a car check your driver door sil vin tag. Im in a heated argument with the state of vermont at the moment about if its a truck or suv. DMV says its a car and cops say its a truck and i keep getting warnings from the cops about having car plates on a truck.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
nice job on the fix, i've done a little "redneck" body work myself. subscribed
Old 07-17-2012, 07:26 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by riddarunner
Cool rig mine had the same decals. BTW your 4runner is a truck not a car check your driver door sil vin tag. Im in a heated argument with the state of vermont at the moment about if its a truck or suv. DMV says its a car and cops say its a truck and i keep getting warnings from the cops about having car plates on a truck.
I think the rules vary by state
Old 07-17-2012, 07:38 AM

Talking

Oh wow that's dumb considering the 1st gen 4runners were built with Toyota pickup truck body parts really to save money and keep up with the nissan models that were coming out in those years. Or so I read lol
2nd gems and up I believe but first gens man for real. Lol
Old 07-17-2012, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you say "DMV Says", does that mean the paperwork or did someone down at the DMV actually say that? The difference between a truck and an SUV to the government is the canopy on the back side (I think?). That is why when Toyota shipped the 1st gen 4r's over here, the top went separate and was put on here (If I'm not mistaken), just so you could register it as a truck.

I say take off the top, fold the seats down, and THEN go down to the DMV and see what they say about it not being a truck... What is the definition of a "truck" say that disqualifies the 4Runner anyway?

/end rant

Please continue thread... lol
Old 07-17-2012, 08:37 PM

Hey riddarunner, yeah mine is registered as a suv/truck or whatever not a regular car.
And Stanz, thanks man. Yeah I talked t one of my buddies who has a welder and I think we are gonna just do what you did.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, this thing is really looking great, JMC! Keep up the great work/resto!

Yeah, that striping tripped me out! haha... I thought... "WOW, someone just HAS to be original, eh?" hehehe. I imagine some guy having taken it in to the dealer cuz of some defect... Then coming to pick it up and saying, "WTH, ARE YOU DRUNK?" hahahah.

Seriously, that thing's pretty clean, man! I tell ya.... those stingers are growing on me. I'm still not likely going to go that tall(more like level with the middle of the grill or level with top of hood, and squared off)... but I LOVE how beefy it looks!

Hope you get all the bugs ironed out, man... don't get discouraged!

PS> You coming with next time up there?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 PM

Im having a problem thats getting worse, after driving my car for a little while and turning it off I have a problem getting it started and if/when it starts it idles like crap (it almost dies out). [/quote]

check your cold start injector for leakage, if it leaks after a drive it is in effect like pumping the gas peddle on a carb engine it floods it try this after your next drive when this usually occurs
press an hold the accelerator to the floor for a crank or two to clear the cylinders. stop an then let off the peddle then crank again if it turns over easy(er) id say you've got a leaky cold start as a primary suspect
Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 PM

Thanks dragon, I'm going to have my buddy who owns a shop check it out but I will definitely tell him to check that.

And Chef, thanks man. I didnt think my stinger would be so big when I said two feet haha, but whatever. And yeah Im down to tear up some trails just let me know when and where.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:42 PM

I got some new turn signals but they looked kinda cheap and crappy so I painted them to match my bumper.

Mounted them up and doesnt look too shabby. They draw less amps than the stock ones so they blink fast but whatever.

As for my car running like crap, my mechanic buddy checked it out and I guess the idiots that rebuilt the motor never changed the pcv valve and when they hooked it back up they kinked the hose so my intake ended up being filled with oil. Thats why it ran like crap when it was warm cause all the fumes from all the oil up in there. Tomorrow it'll be back up and running finally.

Last edited by jmc88runner; 07-23-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:07 PM

glad to hear the problem was found!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:04 AM

That looks great man. And stinger looks nice too. I am not big on pointed stingers for my own runner but I do, however, like them on other rigs. If I don't get the WARN or ARB bumper I want I do want to get myself a stinger tube bumper but not pointed. I like how the squared off ones look like the addicted off road one. That one is nice. But I'm really really stuck on buying a WARN bumper. They look nice for our models of trucks. In my opinion they look nicer then ARB bumper.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:25 PM

Yeah man its either spend like a grand on an abr bumper, which I'd rather have, or spend 200 on this one and the 800 on suspension stuff or new gears and seeing how Im not made of money I didnt go for the abr one.

Quick Reply: 88 4Runner "Restoration"