Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'88 22RE O2 sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I decided to build my own exhaust since I haven't worked in 2 weeks and have ever dwindling funds. It turned out pretty sweet, sounds really good at idle, a little loud while driving though... I might have to find a way to quiet it down.

The last big problem i'm having is with a sticky/clogged/bad injector. I timed it w/the jumper in the diagnostic and it starts and idles w/no problems but it's still stumbling when I step on it. Otherwise, If i'm real easy on the throttle and keep the RPMs up a little it will do ok and run smooth.

I pulled all the plugs and three of four are burning perfectly and one isn't, looks pretty dark, it's got spark so the plug is obviously working. I can also hear what I think is that injector knocking, it sounds like a valvetrain knock. I put an ear on it and it's not the valves, I can hear it loudest on the intake side if I put my ear next to the plemum.

Will some good injector cleaner remedy the problem or do I need to pull it and swap it or have it serviced? I do have an injector from my old motor that I could try but didn't want to take it apart if I don't have to. Anyone have a clue what could be going on?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:22 AM

I decided to do a compression test before I start chasing gremlins... I did 3 separate tests and #1,2,and 4 held steady but #3 got lower w/every check. On the first check they were all w/in 1-2 psi of each other, but #3 got lower by 10psi or so w/each test.

Engine cold, turned over until start and shut down

#1-150 psi
#2-150 psi
#3-150 psi on the first test, 140 on the second, 130 on the third
#4-150 psi

What could be the causing of the loss of compression on #3? Stuck valve? Cracked head? Or something worse?

I'm thinking about borrowing/renting a bore scope if I can find one and taking a peek in the #3 hole

Any suggestions before I tear into it would be most excellent!

Last edited by Nailit69; 12-16-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:28 PM

Well it's not a stuck valve, they all move... i took the valve cover off to check out the valvetrain and everything looked fine in there. I did adjust the valves... which were closer to .008/.012 cold, now at .008/.012 at operating temp., a couple of them were a little tight after it warmed up. It still didn't solve my problem.

Everything is nice and clean though, looks good to me but i'm a Carpenter not a mechanic. I need to replace the Tstat anyway so i'm going to look at that injector... actually all of them. I might just send em all in for a cleaning and get new o-rings/seals. It still doesn't explain the different compression readings on that cylinder though.

I really don't want to pull the head but if I can't fix the miss w/an injector cleaning what else could it be? The erratic compression readings are leading me to think it's a bad valve, cracked piston/head, or a bad head gasket, isn't that about all that's left or am I overlooking something or did I buy a POS.

Last edited by Nailit69; 12-16-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:51 PM

Well I went ahead and pulled the injectors and when I popped the fuel rail you could smell the bad gas... I drained it and put it back together and sure as schmidt it runs like a nascar champion. It's still a little sleepy still but it's alive and kickin
Old 12-22-2012, 11:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet, well done.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nailit69
One other question I have is w/injectors... I read somewhere that there are 2 different types (low and high impedance?) and they changed from one type to the other sometime in '88. What if any issues would I have related to this? Is it a "runs or doesn't run" situation or just a matter of switching computers or what? TIA!
Running low-z injectors with an ECU designed for highs will burn up the injector drivers. An ECU with current-limiting drivers for low-z injectors will drive high-z injectors just fine. How well it works will depend on other factors.

Originally Posted by toyquad
you need proper back pressure for a motor to run properly.
That is a myth. Backpressure is nothing more than restriction and restriction doesn't do anything beneficial. Short, open exhaust kills torque for other reasons like changing the exhaust's resonant frequency.

Originally Posted by Nailit69
The erratic compression readings are leading me to think it's a bad valve, cracked piston/head, or a bad head gasket, isn't that about all that's left or am I overlooking something or did I buy a POS.
Give that cylinder a squirt of oil after getting initial compression results. if the oil makes compression go up a lot, then the rings are suspect. If not, then it points to a gasket or valve.

Originally Posted by Kelly00127
My 88 does not have an O2 sensor.
If your truck is carbureted, then that's a given. If it's EFI, then it should have an O2 sensor.