Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 Pickup - HEI GM SWAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 87 Pickup - HEI GM SWAP

I recently bought an 87 pickup and quickly diagnosed no spark issues. So instead of testing everything I went to the store and bought a new distributor as there was a lot of corrosion inside the cap and I wanted to rule it out completely.

Anyways so like many others, instead of spending $400+ on a new igniter, I decided I would try to swap it out and replace it with the LX301 module.

It was all very straight forward, not many connections to hook up so I figured it was a simple and cost effective mod.

Onto the problem, still no spark.

Heres what I have gathered so far;

The two wires (White and Red) coming off the distributor. The White wire goes to the "W" terminal
The Red wire goes to the "G" terminal ( I put them on with female lugs )
Next I ran a wire from the "C" connection to the negative on the coil

Here is my issue, where I'm not fully understanding and I have seen it done a few different ways.

Where my old coil/igniter was plugged in, one of those connections on the plug is 12v key on power and Im supposed to be running a wire out of one side of the stock plug to the "B" terminal?
and then from what I can see, im supposed to splice into that wire and run another wire from that into the positive side of the ignition coil. Is that correct or can someone lay it out for me as detailed as possible so I know that im doing it right. Ive also seen someone run one wire from the factory plug where the coil/igniter was plugged into, into terminal "B" and then run another wire from the other side of the plug into the positive on the ignition coil?

Want to make sure im doing everything correct, any help is immensely appreciated

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2022, 07:45 AM
YT Community Team

Received 857 Likes on 606 Posts
Here's the corner you kinda backed yourself into.

You started randomly replacing parts. I get the reasoning behind it, but still. Since you have never pinpointed the root cause you don't know if the coil isn't working from incorrect wiring or a problem upstream still waiting to be addressed. I'd put all the old parts back on. If the cap and rotor are that questionable than go get a new Denso cap and rotor(highly recommend getting Denso for anything electrical) and start narrowing your area of focus. More info on your vehicle would be helpful, too.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah and I knew that when I started replacing parts, what else could it really be further than the igniter/coil. Everything was original on the engine.

So its an 87 with the 22r swapped out the carb to the Weber. It's getting fuel, no spark from the plugs.

My friend who I bought it off of was driving it home, it ran out of gas on the way home and he got it towed back and from there, its been sitting for a month and now has no spark. Instead of testing everything I just figured I would throw a dizzy on it and replace the igniter and coil and problem solved, just take out the guesswork. In retrospect I see how naive that is though.

*EDIT* Just wanted to add, it has a brand new battery as well.