Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Old 02-09-2016, 10:54 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Fuel System Guides
Print Wikipost

87 4Runner fuel pump not kicking on. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Carrying on this thread, instead ( https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...arting-297725/ ) but leaving it up for others to connect the threads)

I know this is lighting up on an old thread, but hopefully some of you can give me some help.

I have an 88 4Runner (22re) that is having trouble getting power to the fuel pump. Here is where I am at:
  • I know that it is getting air and spark (inspection/starting fluid).
  • I can directly wire up the fuel pump to the battery at the last connector (2 prong) before the pump and the engine runs well (I know its not safe, just needed to move the vehicle).
  • I jumped the Fp to the B+ at the diagnostic connection point under the hood (in hopes to bypass AFM/OCR), but no power to the pump when starting.
  • I inspected the OCR and it seems to work fine. Nothing looks burnt inside, the capacitor isn't leaking, etc. Resistance is where it should be according to FSM.
  • When the OCR is plugged in, I only get 8-8.5V coming from B+ to Fp. This seems problematic, but I can't find anywhere that has normal voltage drop. I was also using a paper clip that was loosely placed in the back of the connector to the relay, which could also be a source of voltage drop if it isn't getting a good connection, but with the tight cable/space, I can't splice into the wire.
  • When I jump the B+ and Fp at the OCR connector, no power to the pump even through it has 12V at the B+ and Fp of the connector (checked with multimeter)
  • I tried checking for continuity between the blue wire at the fuel pump connector (2 prong) near the fuel pump and the blue Fp wire at the OCR connector, but there wasn't any. According to the schematics that I have seen, it is a direct line from the OCR to the fuel pump. Is this my problem? I tried to trace the wire, but I can't figure out where it goes without disassembling the dash.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to move next? I'm hoping that there is an easier/less intrusive solution than tear everything apart and trace the wire. I'm at a loss for the moment and just can't seem to get it.

Last edited by j.waldroniii; 05-10-2017 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Posted in a newer thread that has more traction