Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 pickup 4x4 auto transmission help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
an 86 as well actually lol. And of course. Looking at it today in the daylight (still haven't cleaned it off) the while back of the engine is covered in atf, I think everything tranny back is just spray from going 60 until I stopped... I didn't drive long, put in neutral as soon as it was safe and stopped. But it's pretty messy
Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 AM

well heres turbo (aka bigbird) took 2hr drive from this, but we got him home safe. thanks to my bro and his truck, personally not a dodge fan but the power wagon is only reason i'm home.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:05 AM

how can I tell what transmission i have? I don't know ˟˟˟˟ about trannys other than flushing fluids and changing clutches. i know its the one with the transfer case built into transmission, 2 "oil" pans, big one on the tranny and one on the tcase. but are there more than one type? because they sell 3 different torque converters that i know of, one is for the not built in tcase, but the other 2 are for the built in... and i'm not sure what the difference other than price is
Old 02-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the sticker on the driver side door column. It should give what the original transmission was as it rolled out of the factory.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:30 AM

pulled my drain plug... fluid smells horrible... and is opaque brownish with the slightest tint of red... looks like engine oil after the head blows.... i'm taking it as a bad sign...
Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 AM

anyone selling or know someone selling a tranny? pretty sure mine is shot.. i'ma drop the pan tonight after school and post some pictures. but from what i know of brown burnt fluid means my friction materials are probably badly damaged...
Old 02-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Might give the classifieds forum a search.....maybe something will pop up there? Do you have any auto recycle yards nearby?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruno4turbo
There's a couple auto trannys for sale on cl. for pretty reasonable, so if I need a new tranny I'll probably snag one of those, if there's complications tho I'll look into swapping, I wanted a manual to begin with
How much are they asking?

Originally Posted by HighLux
You got a toyota...your all the same to me.

Originally Posted by HighLux
Like you have post traumatic transmission failure syndrome.

Last edited by Diablo22RE; 02-04-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A340H, the H is for the hydraulic transfer case. If the fluid smells and looks burned find another tranny, you're going to find most of your clutches sitting in the bottom of the pan when you pull it. The thing that sucks about Toyota automatics (And for their cousin the AW4 that Jeep ran) is that even a new rebuild does not shift the same as a good running original, not sure what changes but I spent a year in a transmission shop and none of the ones I installed felt as good as a properly functioning stocker.

The differences in converters are more than likely stall speed, if you buy a used trans get the converter too and run em. Unless the front pump seal is leaking there's not even really a reason to pull the TC out of your new unit.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:30 PM

Don't think dumb of me... but i may have figured out what caused this...

so a friend of mine had a similar problem in their dodge, a week after taking it through a huge mud bog. just so everyone does know, i was driving home from the trails when this happened. I went through a very large puddle (small lake..) that day and almost drowned my computer (not my smartest move, but in my defence it look only a foot deep). he says I may have gotten water into the breather and my diff. so in the morning I'm going to check my diffs... i know water + truck = terrible... he says that the water caused the front main seal to fail suddenly and majorly. but that they drove it about 500mi before they noticed anything and didn't fry their tranny. I know dodge is different than yota, I'm trying not to be optimistic about it... but I dropped the pan today just to take a look at things and the interior is spotless, minus the funky oil-water mix everywhere. but no charcoal no metal shavings, no friction material, my screen had dirt (silt almost) on it, but nothing major. my drain plug didn't have metal shavings on it either. also when i pulled the drain plug almost enough fluid came out for the tranny to be considered full, before i added new fluid to check the leak, which is coming from the bell housing, not as major as when hot, like a slight weep at the bottom.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by TrikeKid
you're going to find most of your clutches sitting in the bottom of the pan when you pull it..
not a single one. not even a scrap of friction material was there. and i stuck my hand it that horrible cloudy mess and it was smooth oil, not chunks or even that much dirt grit in the bottom of the pan
Old 02-04-2013, 10:03 PM

this would be the "puddle" small lake that i underestimated.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey girl! Well now, from what ur saying, it seems like u might be ok? GOSH I hope so, for ur sake! That wud be great.

Funny u mention diff breathers. .. Just did my front tonight ....... >>>

Name:  20130204_200142.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  296.0 KB

Name:  20130204_200155.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  248.9 KB

Name:  20130204_204257.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  314.1 KB

For the rear diff extension, I'll be using tje brake light body cavity.

If u pulled in water, into the diff... drain that quick.... very bad combo in there.

Best wishes with everything
Old 02-04-2013, 11:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's very much most likely this. There are lots of threads about diff breather extenders but few on transmission/trans case breather extenders. One thing people do is run the breather up the gap between the cab and bed.. if you have a 4runner you're up a creek though (lul). Definitely do a new main seal just for kicks and you should be good. If it IS the A340 (sounds like it) it's a very over-engineered transmission and the best auto you can get.. they're still using them in new tundras. And you could always throw a ford explorer trans cooler on it.

Also I've seen people relocate their comps up higher in the dash or in the glove box. It'd be real easy to run the wires while you have the carpet out

Originally Posted by bruno4turbo
Don't think dumb of me... but i may have figured out what caused this...

so a friend of mine had a similar problem in their dodge, a week after taking it through a huge mud bog. just so everyone does know, i was driving home from the trails when this happened. I went through a very large puddle (small lake..) that day and almost drowned my computer (not my smartest move, but in my defence it look only a foot deep). he says I may have gotten water into the breather and my diff. so in the morning I'm going to check my diffs... i know water + truck = terrible... he says that the water caused the front main seal to fail suddenly and majorly. but that they drove it about 500mi before they noticed anything and didn't fry their tranny. I know dodge is different than yota, I'm trying not to be optimistic about it... but I dropped the pan today just to take a look at things and the interior is spotless, minus the funky oil-water mix everywhere. but no charcoal no metal shavings, no friction material, my screen had dirt (silt almost) on it, but nothing major. my drain plug didn't have metal shavings on it either. also when i pulled the drain plug almost enough fluid came out for the tranny to be considered full, before i added new fluid to check the leak, which is coming from the bell housing, not as major as when hot, like a slight weep at the bottom.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:55 AM

there's light in the tunnel guys thanks! i'll post pix and do a build thread so others don't get my problem without knowledge... and i haven't pulled the carpet yet yikes! my cab is gonna smell... and my poor amp, time to upgrade i guess lol... tranny guts look pretty cool too. my phone isn't letting me post pictures directly tho :/ when its no longer the a**crack of dawn i'm going to go drain my diffs. also my breather just has a loose cap on it, no hose to the top so its probably swimming... lucky my dad hasn't had the recycle picked up yet so i have plenty of jugs for all these fluids
Old 02-05-2013, 05:48 AM

tranny guts
Old 02-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

How's this going?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:14 PM

playing the waiting game... i can't buy the new seal or fluids until after the 15th I rebuilt the head only a month ago so i'm kinda out of extra money for the repair...
Old 02-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, just saw similar over on your build thread......
Did you take a look at the diff and transfer case fluids? Did the water get into the air filter?

Last edited by rworegon; 02-06-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:27 PM

water got in everything. i'm taking my carpet out tomorrow. both diffs milky, tcase milky, tranny milky... my engine is okay tho! no water in that thank goodness... air filter was a little damp, but sat it in the sun 5min was dry. air filter was on the high side when i hit the lake

Quick Reply: 86 pickup 4x4 auto transmission help please