Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vze won't run right with correct timing

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 02:35 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by combatcarl
If you don't see a drop in idle with terminals jumpered, then that would point towards your TPS being out of spec. Try adjusting, takes a little time and a multimeter. Your ECU isn't seeing that the throttle is closed.

'89 22RE 4x4 longbed DLX
Sent from my LG-P505 using YotaTech
Indeed. If the tps isn't set this happens. Make sure the throttle is closing all the way too. As that will make it seem tps is out of spec.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by vital22re
Indeed. If the tps isn't set this happens. Make sure the throttle is closing all the way too. As that will make it seem tps is out of spec.
The change in idle is very slight. Are you listening by ear or using the tach?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just listening by ear and did not notice a change.

I haven't actually wrenched on the truck yet this weekend but I am doing legwork and research. One thing I found out is that I previously adjusted my idle speed by adjusting the throttle stop screw. So I didn't do that right. So I will need to put it back to where it was and then start from there. From what I remember it idled very slow when hot so I used the screw to open it up a bit. My manual sucks, it's a cheapo from one of the auto parts stores. It doesn't even mention the tps. But I have found a manual online through a thread on this forum. There is some great info on the net regarding these engines. Very cool! Plus you guys here are a great help.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:59 PM

Well, I tested my TPS and it is bad. I will get that replaced and go from there. I can get a used sensor off the net cheap and will give that a try.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, poop. If it is just the TPS, post up, let us know how she goes.

'89 22RE 4x4 longbed DLX
Sent from my LG-P505 using YotaTech
Old 11-24-2012, 08:40 PM

One more time. Found out my TPS sensor IS ok. I assumed the bottom 2 terminals were what I needed. The drawing I had must be for the other motor. Anyhow I needed the top 2 to check the idle switch. I don't know if it was working right or not because I pulled it. Will put it back in and adjust tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:54 PM

I put my TPS back in and adjusted it. When I started out, the setting I had the timing at looked to be about 20º BTDC. Now it's at 10 and I didn't move the distributor at all. I can hear a change in idle when I install the jumper. So that looks to be fixed. Thanks for pointing me in that direction!!

So now, I can take this thing to a pass or don't pay shop (if they will do a '92) and maybe it will pass. I know I need to spend some money and change some things but I am hoping to put it off till the new year.

Thanks guys!

Steve
Old 04-19-2021, 10:26 PM

Timing off a tooth??

Originally Posted by Aleman
Hello from the new guy. I have a 92 truck with 200K on it. It has the 3.0L motor and is 4 wheel drive. It has been a great truck, few problems. I had a tough time passing smog last time because when my timing is correctly set it runs like crap. I found a guy that passed me with my timing fudged.

So, I installed a new timing belt as it was due and was hoping it would resolve my timing issue. It did not but now my exhaust stinks. I have to set the timing to about 20º BTDC in order to make this truck run ok. With the timing set correctly it makes no power and runs like crap. I am using the correct procedure to set the timing, jumper, light on wire #1. The idle drifts a bit but overall is smooth. Has original wires, distributor, and all emmisions are original...O2 sensor etc. The timing needed to be advanced with both my old belt and the new one. I am 99% sure I have the belt timing ok.

Any ideas appreciated. I need to get a sticker on my truck. It's just sitting in the driveway unused. The wife wants me to sell it. I see no reason to part with my old friend.

Steve
Hey did you ever get a straight answer on your original question? My 94 is having the exact same issue I know this was from 2012
​​​​
Old 04-19-2021, 10:27 PM

Timing off a tooth??

Originally Posted by Aleman
Hello from the new guy. I have a 92 truck with 200K on it. It has the 3.0L motor and is 4 wheel drive. It has been a great truck, few problems. I had a tough time passing smog last time because when my timing is correctly set it runs like crap. I found a guy that passed me with my timing fudged.

So, I installed a new timing belt as it was due and was hoping it would resolve my timing issue. It did not but now my exhaust stinks. I have to set the timing to about 20º BTDC in order to make this truck run ok. With the timing set correctly it makes no power and runs like crap. I am using the correct procedure to set the timing, jumper, light on wire #1. The idle drifts a bit but overall is smooth. Has original wires, distributor, and all emmisions are original...O2 sensor etc. The timing needed to be advanced with both my old belt and the new one. I am 99% sure I have the belt timing ok.

Any ideas appreciated. I need to get a sticker on my truck. It's just sitting in the driveway unused. The wife wants me to sell it. I see no reason to part with my old friend.

Steve
Hey did you ever get a straight answer on your original question? My 94 is having the exact same issue I know this was from 2012
​​​​
Old 04-20-2021, 02:25 PM

I just bought my 95 4runner and I had the same issue. What fixed it was replacing the spark plug wires. It wasn't making good contact with the plug and thus the timing light wasn't actually measuring the spark at the right time.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:49 AM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
I always put a dab of silicone dielectric grease in the plug wires before I connect them to the plugs. Helps make the connection better, as well as keeping crud and corruption out.
Then again, I put that stuff in every electrical connection I have to open and the reconnect.

Good luck to ya!
Pat☺