Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3VZE reborn one more time

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You haven't had good luck.... What's it take to get a good machist these days? Half a thou - couldn't that be wear, especially looking at your bearings?

I've towed more than one overweight trailer back when I owned a 3.slow.. Sucking fuel, going slow, never did anything like that your internals look like.

With the kind of money that you're spending, I'd get that thing to a dyno after about 500 miles on the road. Your exhaust gas temps sound pretty high to me. Do you have any sort of air/fuel gauge? Talked to anyone about what happens when you do those internal mods in terms of factory tuning.
The factory injectors are probably good for around 200hp...

I'd be darn sure you're not running lean. You wouldn't be the first person to do megasquirt on a 3.0, btw....

It's nice to see someone taking some time and effort with these motors!
Old 11-20-2006, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dcg9381
I'd be darn sure you're not running lean. You wouldn't be the first person to do megasquirt on a 3.0, btw....

It's nice to see someone taking some time and effort with these motors!
Yea I was thinking lean too. Who has done MS on the 3vze? I found one guy on the MS forum that has done it on a 3vzfe but fron the sensor and ecu standpoint these are somewhat different engines. I'm about 95% sure I'll be doing MS on my 3.0 in the the next year or two.

Unless you are putting the screws to a 3.0 hard all the time a quality rebuild should last a long long time. I have talked to guys getting the same milage on their 3vze engines as people get on their 22re engines. Some with original HG. IDK if climate has anything to do with it but I haven't talked to anyone locally who has blown a HG on their 3.0 FWIW. Maybe there was something different in Canada IDK.

Last edited by suprathepeg; 11-20-2006 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:21 AM

I stand corrected, it was the 3vz-fe, not th3 3vze.
However, my understanding is that the 3vze ignition system is VAST - same as the 22RE - meaning it's got an ignitor and coil.
Distributor -> ignitor -> ecu -> ignitor -> coil

If the ignition system is roughy the same as the 22RE, that's about 90% of your megasquirt battle right there.

I had about 130k on my 3.0 when I sold it. I didn't take it easy on that motor, I maintained it well, but no special treatment. I see high mileage 3.0s, not uncommon as long as they've been taken care of in terms of waterpump, timing belt, etc. Yes, there was a HG recall.

It's a bummer to have a high buck motor break down on you, just don't skip those last steps like air/fuel - especially when you've modified beyond stock.

A trustworthy machine shop is a necessity too.. Either that or you're double checking all of their work.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:01 AM

if I never have to tighten down another set of these headers, it'll be too soon.

I'm gaining on it anyway...
Old 11-21-2006, 09:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
even with the jam nuts they are loosening up?

Besides, didnt you know headers werent designed for more power on these engines! They were designed in such a way so that you get to work on inventing new swears and explatives! lol

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 11-21-2006 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:11 AM

huh? loosening up? This is a new install...MFer at that.
New swears, yup...it just started raining, $$#@@!# I hate having to work outside.

Guess I'm done for the day again. Finally got the freekin temp gauge replaced (mechanical from the overhead consol, which in hindsight wasn't a great design.)
Busted the darn plastic for the oil pressure and darned if the std 6' ones aren't too short.

Done for the day I guess. Ratz, really wanted to fire it.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:06 AM

That's how far I got yesterday before the rain set in for real.
Still pouring cats & dogs here.

All I have left is to put the interior back together (from replacing the H20 gauge and oil line.) Zip tie the wireing harness and finish putting the accessory belts on, add the distributor and she'll be ready to fire.
Now if it would just stop raining for a few hours.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you still going to run the DOA heads? I thought I read in an other post that you didn't recommend them. Have you compared the DOA cams with the Sea2Sky ones? Are they similar duration and lift?

Good luck on the startup!

CT
Old 11-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice build.

Will be interested in learning more about and seeing your cold air intake when you get that finished.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:57 PM

the "doa cams" are really Crower Cams.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
the "doa cams" are really Crower Cams.
...designed & developed for one of the Toyota racing teams. Timmy 'discovered' this and now they are 'his cams'
BS
Old 11-23-2006, 03:38 PM

Running again. Quite nicely.

I don't remember this job as being this hard.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:37 PM

Soo..... how does it drive?
Old 11-23-2006, 05:18 PM

I just ran a quick shakedown around the block (3-4mi.)
It was past full dark then and I called it quits for the night.

Felt good, though I didn't hammer it. Responsive, though nothing spectacular yet.
I have the advance turned down a little for now too.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:35 PM

cant wait to see a full report.. and maybe a rwhp dyno?
Old 11-23-2006, 10:48 PM

MonsterMaxx - Nice job. I would ask you to do me a favor and snap shot upclose shots of the grounds on your engine for me please. I redid my top end a while ago and have had issue's ever since and it all seems to be ground related. After talking with bumpinYota (thanks), I am missing some grounds and am clueless to where the stock or preferred grounds are.

Then how about a write up for the ignition kit you did? I'm begging you, please. If you are ever in SoCal Dinner and drinks are on me! But again nice job, clean, and sounds like she's running good for you. Thanks for the postings here and good job.

-=Morphine=-
Old 11-25-2006, 07:24 AM

Done, running good, though slightly de-tuned at the moment it's got good power, easily pulled the rolling hills btwn Greenville & Atlanta in overdrive & cruise.

I've got 6ch EGT and the autometer 02 gauge (limited usefulness) and it's getting some EGTs in excess of 1400 when at higher RPMs and low throttle openings. Appears to me that this is the computer doing this and not a lack of fuel pressure or injector capability.

Under full throttle the temps will decrease, but when I back off the temp spikes.

I wonder if I can richen it up some with the AFM?
Megasquirt for the 3VZE time...
Old 11-25-2006, 07:45 AM

I spy with my little eye - A Jacobs Ignition!

I forgot if I asked already, but do you have a 4runner or a pickup? Does it seemingly have more power than before?

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 11-25-2006 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:18 AM

It has good power, but I'm not running a lot of advance yet (more power) and am getting some 1400+ EGTs which I want to correct before pushing it.

Seat of the pants...it's stronger than it was before.

I've always thought the computer was the problem with this build. I can watch what 02 is seeing. Granted the gauge is a POS and it's not wideband 02, but still, you can watch it occilate, then a seat in the pants surge as it switches over to open loop and goes rich.

It's pretty obvious to me that when EGT goes up when I let off the gas the computer is leaning it out causing EGT to spike.

In the previous build there was NOTHING available computer wise. Now with Megasquirt on the horizon, I might take a look at doing this.

Meanwhile, can I richen the AFM a notch to get rid of this lean spot? It's been ages since I messed with the AFM. Anyone got a link to the docs?

Yes, does have the Jacobs and it's a pickup, xcab 4x4 sr5 to be specific

Last edited by MonsterMaxx; 11-25-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Looks good so far man. Keep us updated!!

Quick Reply: 3VZE reborn one more time