Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.4 swaps galore. pics of 3 swapped trucks and more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great man!!!! A couple of questions though. Why no CEL? I would think that's one of the easier parts of the wiring. I had read once that one would need to run two computers if the 3.0 auto tranny is used. Did you just wire it up, or swap some of the sensors from the 3.4 tranny?
Old 11-11-2004, 08:53 PM

when I say no CEL, I mean that there is no check engine light thats lit up. the truck is running good, no ecu codes thrown (ppl with swaps using 3.0 autos usually get CEL cause the speed sensor is not working right)

that part of wiring was easy...obdII connection plug is wired and usable if we need to check thrown codes.

had to do alittle modding inside the tranny to allow get the speedo sensor to pick up the signal correctly. the 3.0 and 3.4 read different signals.

the rest is wiring, shifting is controlled with the 3.4 ecu.
the auto tranny in the 3.0 and 3.4 are basically the same tranny.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:56 PM

Man that looks hard, how about that spoiler on the red 4Runner, where did you pick that up?
Old 11-11-2004, 09:02 PM

got it off ebay.
its off of a Hilux Surf SSR-G. japanese model of the 4runner
its rare to find it on there. I look about every week for one for my 4runner.

I have JDM corner lights on mine...the amber part bulges out instead of jsut having a amber reflector flat on the lamp.

I have a set of 15" 3-piece Hilux Surf wheels at my shop also. the centers are painted (usually paint matched to the truck) and the lip is chrome.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:24 AM

did you only have the problem with the speed sensor on autos or did it need mods on the five speed also. could you just use the 3.4 trans instead?
love the 93. I have the same truck and thats what Ive been aiming for. very nice.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I forgot to ask about the hood on the red one. Where did you get it with the scoop, or did you just add the scoop to the stocker.

ORS did one with an 11 psi pulley. It had 35's, but it would still fly.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
I forgot to ask about the hood on the red one. Where did you get it with the scoop, or did you just add the scoop to the stocker.

ORS did one with an 11 psi pulley. It had 35's, but it would still fly.
If you look closely, you can see that they trimmed down a sport hood, then cut a hole in the stocker and laid the sport hood on top.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:05 AM

How much body lift are you running on the truck and grey 4Runner so the stock hood can be used?
Old 11-12-2004, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

TeamShiftPoint,
I am about to be free (divorce) but I can't afford to buy a new vehicle....so I am interested in moving from my 22RE to something with more Ummp! What would you charge me, parts included, labor also, (rough estimate) to do this upgrade to a non-supercharged 3.4? I live in the DFW area, so Houston is no big deal. I just am not mechanically inclined to swap engines.

You can see my truck model below. 1991 Extracab 4x4, 22RE.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:48 AM

hey post up a pic of those 3 piece wheels, damn i gotta keep telling myself over and over "i have a car for speed, leave the truck alone"
Old 11-12-2004, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
If you look closely, you can see that they trimmed down a sport hood, then cut a hole in the stocker and laid the sport hood on top.
that is correct...we got a 3rd gen hood with scoop from a aftermarket body parts dealer, cut out the scoop, cut a hole in the 2nd hood, used body panel adhesive to attach the scoop, and used bondo to finish it off.

the scoop insert we had to get from the dealer...cost more then the hood costed me.

Originally Posted by Cebby
How much body lift are you running on the truck and grey 4Runner so the stock hood can be used?
the grey 4runner is 2" body lift. red one is stock height with the scoop. the 93 truck already had body lift (can't remember what height) and like a 6" suspension lift, so the engine sat in there nicely.

Originally Posted by fiveofeen
hey post up a pic of those 3 piece wheels, damn i gotta keep telling myself over and over "i have a car for speed, leave the truck alone"
I'll get some pics when I'm down at the shop again. they are just stocker 15x7(might even be 6.5), not crazy deep dish lip or anything. my friend did find some SSR 15x9or10 6lug on ebay, it had a very wide lip. looked very nice but I missed the auction.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:02 AM

hmm when you said 3piece i was thinking more like fiske or HRE okay coo
Old 11-12-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by muskie
did you only have the problem with the speed sensor on autos or did it need mods on the five speed also. could you just use the 3.4 trans instead?
love the 93. I have the same truck and thats what Ive been aiming for. very nice.
I cant remember if we did anything with the 5spd...I believe it was only for the auto cause the ecu used the signal to shift correctly. the speedo on the 90 truck is cable driven so the speedometer still worked correctly.
i believe on the 4runners after 92 they started using the digital Speedo.

I'll post more info once I confirm the info with my cousin.

if you have 2wd on the 4runner, you can use the 3.4 auto tranny. the only reason why we had to use the 3.0 tranny was because we are 4wd and the transfer case is originally on the passenger side, while the 3.4 t-case its flipped flipped to the driver side.
I believe you can use the Marlin Crawler adaptor, but that would flip the case upside down (I dont think its good to run it upside down from the stock position, also heard some ppl had problems with it leaking)
Old 11-12-2004, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by fiveofeen
hmm when you said 3piece i was thinking more like fiske or HRE okay coo
haha, that would cost more then I paid for my 4runner, bought it about 1 yr ago for $1300. fiske or hre, maybe for the 94 supra we are currently building up, might just go with Volk Wheels since I have wholesale pricing on those. my friend does have whole pricing on HRE, but its still expensive.

my runner sat in the driveway until we did the swap, cause the original 3.0 motor was knocking really bad, and the previous owner had pulled off the head.
I didnt put any other money into it other then the cost of swap and trd s/c and the parts to rebuild the tranny.

my grey runner is 1990 SR5 4wd auto, about 192k on it. power windows, locks, rear ABS, sunroof. grey cloth inside.

additional info: the 4runners are using downey headers.
and if I remember correctly the truck is using edlebrock headers.
the 3.4 motors we got had only about 35k miles on them. we used them as is since the mileage was so low and weren't damaged from the wrecks, just changed the oil and denso iridium spark plugs, and all the accessory belts (ac, ps).

the red 4runner had about 250k miles on the original motor and tranny before we swapped. i think he might have close to 300k miles on the body now, since the swap.

Last edited by TeamShiftPoint; 11-13-2004 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:34 AM

nothing was wrong with the red 4runners motor or tranny either, no HG replacement or anything, just keep in good working condition with standard maintainence, scheduled timing belt jobs, etc.....it was just high mileage and underpowered, thats why he wanted to swap.

it ran that long since he used only this stuff

was on sale at Wal-Mart!!!

I'm using regular Toyota motor oil thats semi-synthetic, changed every 3k.

Last edited by TeamShiftPoint; 11-13-2004 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by DavidA
TeamShiftPoint,
I am about to be free (divorce) but I can't afford to buy a new vehicle....so I am interested in moving from my 22RE to something with more Ummp! What would you charge me, parts included, labor also, (rough estimate) to do this upgrade to a non-supercharged 3.4? I live in the DFW area, so Houston is no big deal. I just am not mechanically inclined to swap engines.

You can see my truck model below. 1991 Extracab 4x4, 22RE.
I'll have to discuss the pricing with my cousin....we haven't done the swap for any real customers, we did it for ourown or close friend's trucks.

price will vary on the cost of 3.4 motor, depending where we find a complete swap at. the 99 4runner 3.4 motor is hard to find down in Houston. we usually want to used the 99 4runner motor due to some minor changes to the ecu, and oil dip stick hole, etc...

we did locate one 3.4 last week but we are getting it to swap into our friend's wife's 95 ltd 4runner.

also is yours auto or manual trans?
any body lift on it yet? or might have to do hood scoop mod.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:08 PM

Wow! Nice work. Are the headers on the red 2nd gen custom? Or do 3.4 headers (trd or downey) fit/work with the 2nd gen body and frame? The hood scoop looks great. You have just remotivated me to look for a donor 3.4.

Old 11-12-2004, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by ChickenLover
Wow! Nice work. Are the headers on the red 2nd gen custom? Or do 3.4 headers (trd or downey) fit/work with the 2nd gen body and frame? The hood scoop looks great. You have just remotivated me to look for a donor 3.4.

the red and grey 4runners use downey headers for the 3.4, we welded custom crossover below the car. the red runner is stock height so its a tight fit but it clears the frame. my grey 4runner has 2" body lift, so there is alittle more room to work around underneath.

the stock 3.4 header and crossover is behind the motor between the firewall, and it comes out and down on the passenger side. its really tight for the exhaust to come down on the passenger side of the 2nd gen cause the T-case and everything is on that side.

the 93 truck i think we using the edlebrock headers.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

"also is yours auto or manual trans?
any body lift on it yet? or might have to do hood scoop mod."

Manual 5-speed

No body lift kit. Hood Scoop would be pretty cool.

We are talking about a few months from now. I bet I can find a 3.4 up here in DFW in a wrecked car.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the hood info. I saw it on closer inspection.

The Marlin adapter does not flip the case upside down, it uses a different case with the correct output.

If you can do a complete swap drive in, drive out, for less than 8k, people will be beating a path to your door.

Quick Reply: 3.4 swaps galore. pics of 3 swapped trucks and more.