Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.0 issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 03:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilR
My 3vze is slow to start. It remembers me my former Jeep's 4.0 I6. (on these Jeeps, I think it was normal to crank the starter for a few seconds as both of mine and the few others I started all did the same!). Once my 3Vze is started. It runs fine. The idle stays a bit high for a few minutes when cold (just like it did on my Jeeps, and my other Toyota trucks with 22R-E engines). It could be caused by a bad coolant temp sensor but I don't care much about that. A friend of mine has a '93 T-100 4x4 and his engine starts quickly and feels stronger than mine. His engine has more mileage than mine too and his heavier truck has a manual transmission with 31" tires just like mine.

Another thing I have noticed: my engine is pinging at constant highway speeds if I use regular gas.

The mileage is currently 128,000 miles and I have no idea when the timing belt was replaced and when the last tune up was done.

What should I check first?

Pinging is detonation caused by either 1) over lean condition, 2) spark advanced too much, or 3) too low octane fuel. The 3vze is rated to run on regular fuel worldwide, so the low octane SHOULDN'T be an issue unless the other two conditions are happening. The engine is an old fuel injection design & not quite up to the advanced capabilities of today's ECUs & FI components, but it's a reliable performer as evidenced by the THOUSANDS of them still on the road today, plugging along despite problems such as yours. Incidentally, too much pinging for too long WILL grenade your engine as it creates too much heat & is generally hard on the internal components of the head & pistons.

I believe you said you had the HG recall done, yes? If so, they most likely replaced your timing belt. It's pretty easy to pull the belt cover off & have a look. 60k miles is the suggest replacement interval, but I've seen them go over 200k miles & since it's not an interference engine, you don't have to worry about bending valves & destroying pistons if one goes....

It's most likely due for a general tune-up, to include a NEW Densor or NTK O2 sensor (mileage goes to hell when they get tired & you won't get a check engine light), distributor cap & rotor, ignition wires, plugs (NGK or Denso), & run a couple of tanks of premium gas w/Seafoam added thru her. Check all the MILES of vacuum hoses for leaks; they ocurr frequently due to the age of these vehicles now, the heat under the hood & the sheer number of hoses. The best method I've found is to use an UNLIT propane or MAPP gas torch all around all the hoses (incuding the ones that run to the front differential) and listen for an idle up. Visual inspection WILL NOT WORK~

Get back to us after all that & let us know how she's doing....
Old 06-13-2009, 06:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks! I am suspectig a vacuum leak at the rear of the engine... I'll try to locate it with a propane torch! (if I can access there!).

The HG recall was done... 11 years ago... And I wasn't the owner back then! There's no timing belt replacement sticker anywhere under the hood.

Gas mileage seems to be quite good. I do about 300 miles with a tank if I wait for the fuel light to come on. I don't see a big diffence between this and my other trucks with the 22R-E. My former 1993 with a 22R-E was also pinging, even with premium gas. I never investigated why. My 1990 with a tired 22R-E runs fine with regular.

What should be the idle speed of a warmed up engine with A/C on and with A/C off?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another thing I am having is a ticking noise, I think it is the pulley between the cam gears that the timing belt goes under. does anyone know the name of this puley so I can order the right one?
Old 06-13-2009, 11:39 AM

here is a pic of the timing cam before I moved it, they were both the same. Crazy that it was still running
Attached Thumbnails 3.0 issues-img00052.jpg  

Last edited by Turtles Runner; 06-14-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:49 AM

Another question that I have is now that it is running better I can start adjusting things.
When I start the motor it jumps the idle up to 1900 while it is warming up. how can I turn this down, that has to be to high for first starting, I have always seen them do like 1100 for a warming up idle.

Thanks for All the help with this.