Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2nd Gen Diesel 4runner (Fuel Injection Pump Leak)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2nd Gen Diesel 4runner (Fuel Injection Pump Leak)

Hey guys I have a diesel leak coming from the Fuel Injection Pump and have been trying to figure out where exactly it is coming from and how to fix it myself instead of having to change the whole pump and get charged an arm and a leg.

Specifics:
Vehicle: Toyota 4Runner 1991 (2nd Gen) 2.8L diesel (non-turbo
Part: Denso 096000-4940

From what I have gathered in the past week (and dozens of hours) of research is that the Fuel Injection Pump has O-rings that wear off with time and could be the culprit. I understand that there are about 3 main O-rings that wear and 1 of them is in between the engine and the pump, which would mean I'd need to remove the pump as a whole to change it. Now before going through the hassle of removing everything to actually get to removing the pump and servicing I thought it would be good to ask fellow 4Runner fanatics if they have ever experienced something like this and where the leak might be coming from.

I have attached 2 images of the back of the injection pump before (Engine off and spot wiped down) and after (Engine on and leak visible)

Before (Engine off)

After (Engine on)

Please HELP, I am in the middle of no where and a couple of 100kms away from a mechanic
Old 04-25-2023, 04:26 PM
YT Community Team

Received 851 Likes on 604 Posts
I'm sure there's a few people around here with some diesel experience, but since they never were sold in the USA there's limited exposure.
You have a Canadian unit?

Last edited by Jimkola; 04-25-2023 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-26-2023, 12:31 AM

Hi Jimkola thanks for your reply!
I was not aware that these units were not sold in the USA, my apologies.
I am actually in the Australian outback, the proper code for my vehicle is: Toyota 4runner LN130R-GKMDSQ

In the past days I have done heaps of research on the particular injection pump on my truck and found schematics of each individual part.
Yesterday I spent a day removing injector hoses from the back of the injection pump, also distribution head, cleaned and retightened. It seems to have slowed down the leak but noticed that when idling, I am losing revs and truck will turn off if I dont keep it rev'ed up.
It will do for the time being till I get to a more habitable place, and will dismantle again and try and get to the Orings which I suspect are the culprit and change them to fresh new ones.
This is my first time dealing with an injection pump and I am not the most mechanically minded person, however needs must when you're a stranded traveller in the Australian outback haha

Thanks again for your reply, faith in humanity restored
Old 04-26-2023, 08:59 AM
YT Community Team

Received 851 Likes on 604 Posts
I should rephrase my previous statement. No diesel 4Runners were sold in the USA. For a few years in the 1980's we did have a diesel Camry, Corolla, and 2wd Hilux truck(all 4cyl). But they were never available in significant numbers. I think they all stopped being imported to the U.S. by 1988 or so.
I haven't seen a used diesel Camry or Corolla in ages. The old diesel Hilux's became sought after years later when running diesels off restaurant cooking oil became a fad.
But that said, while they were pretty solid engines, the injection pump was the one component that needed periodic work due to leaking. But honestly don't remember what seals or parts were replaced. We did so few.
Old 04-27-2023, 12:39 PM

I found this website that I have found extremely useful for understanding individual parts and components of said parts.

Maybe it can be of some use to somebody and save them time

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genu...11LND208001814