Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re Plastic Guides VS Metal Backed Guides

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tried4x2signN

Chain breaks, valves bend. Toyota wants you to change the chain, so they say do it every x miles... well, you don't really need platinum guides if you change the chain when Toyota says to.

my thoughts exactly.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Thook.
Like I stated earlier, its the tensioner is to blame.
There has been several reported cases of faulty aftermarket tensioners.
Thats one thing I would buy from Toyota.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting topic - that's the first article I've seen where a metal guide set resulted in disaster (but then again it could be the tensioner...).

I got the ENGNBLDR FEK and installed about 4,000 miles ago - seems fine. there are several aftermarket metal guide sets with tensioner, that I'm sure you could find ones that are not "cheap chinese made" if that's the issue at hand?

Curious to see what other failure stories come out of the woodwork on this thread
Old 08-21-2010, 02:29 PM

somebody just needs to invent a gear drive set for these motors and do away with the chain all together.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:52 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They did that to Chevy 350's and it sounds like you've got a Turbo...

1; It's way too much to bridge the gap, and 2; It'd just be a matter of time for the noise would be obnoxious and a PITA to live with.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:03 PM

like the chain slapping against the cover is music to the ears.
your probably right though. i thought it sounded like a good idea
Old 08-21-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You can all do as you please it is your engine.

I have replaced several guides and will always use the metal backed guides .

I would much rather have an engine lock up and repair that then have the chain wear into the water jacket getting the antifreeze and oil blend that loves to take out the lower end and maybe the cam as well.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:20 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ohh, forgot about that one...

Originally Posted by wyoming9
chain wear into the water jacket
Old 08-21-2010, 03:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
You can all do as you please it is your engine.

I have replaced several guides and will always use the metal backed guides .

I would much rather have an engine lock up and repair that then have the chain wear into the water jacket getting the antifreeze and oil blend that loves to take out the lower end and maybe the cam as well.
Let's not forget that even with the metal guides, in the event of a freak failure like Dave's, or even in the event the chain snaps or skips a tooth or two......because it still can, when pistons collide with valves there is the chance of ruining the pistons, as well. So, bottom end damage is not exlusive to the plastic guide set up.

My first timing assembly failure was with the original one from the factory. It lasted a little over 120k miles before it began wearing into the cover. I hadn't had the 4rnr very long when I began hearing the "chain against metal" sound. In retrospect, I actually heard chain slap before this, but I didn't know squat about the vehicle then.....much less any vehicle.....so I thought it must be the valves. Anyway, point being, I was attentive enough to make the association from atleast knowing the motor had a timing chain. So, I called a Toyota technician, told him the symptom believing it was the chain, and made my appointment for him to repair it. When I'd gotten there with my kit on hand, he had the valve cover off in a few minutes.....long enough to see the driver side guide in two pieces....and told me "good call!". The chain had worn maybe a 1/16", but I caught it early enough to not breach the jacket. I suppose atleast with the metal guide, one would hear chain on metal long before it got into the cover. Added safety, for sure. Unless your name is Dave in live in Denver.....

Last edited by thook; 08-21-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:42 PM

so basically its personal preference.

because regardless of what type chain dampener you like, the chain itself needs replaced at around 100k correct?
Old 08-21-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
metal or plastic? 6 to one or a half dozen the other. I would say inspect your chain and guides every 80,000 miles, just to be safe.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
so basically its personal preference.

because regardless of what type chain dampener you like, the chain itself needs replaced at around 100k correct?
Not really sure. I don't see a recommended service internal in the 93' FSM for it. Although, it seems I remember reading somewhere it was more like 80k. Regardless, atleast an OEM assembly with regular oil changes is known to go 100k and more.

The service interval for valve inspection/adjustment is atleast 30k miles/36 months.........whichever comes first. So, if one were to actually follow that, it stands to reason a timing assembly could easily be monitored for wear and one would know if it will even reach the 100k mark intact. I guess many things are left to personal preference, but ultimately it's just a matter of paying attention to your vehicle and taking any safety measures if there's room for it.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:36 PM

^ so true !
Old 08-21-2010, 07:50 PM

Well, that's the conclusion I've come to, anyway. I thought by buying a quality Japanese kit the second time around I wouldn't have to bother with it for another 20k or more over the 80k it only lasted. I changed my oil on a regular basis and even used synthetic with double filtration. Bah! In a matter of seconds I was stranded.........in the middle of winter! Oh well. Atleast I learned how to build a motor from top to bottom. Wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be, either.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:03 PM

yea there pretty easy. i guess i can say that now after 7 or so rebuilds for friends and friends of friends lol.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The thing is with these 22R motors and the other rec etc.

Unless you buy it from new or get it from a person that keeps real good records you have no idea how many engines have been in the vehicle .

So pretty much you can only pull the valve cover and shine the light on the timing chain guide and look for wear.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:03 AM

Well, I spoke to Ted and ordered the full front end kit with steel backed guides. Thanks for the responses.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:49 AM

Well, that's kind of an about-face.... Ted's a good person to talk to about it, for sure.

BTW, is than an Alex Grey painting in your avatar?
Old 08-24-2010, 06:24 AM

Seems like most people recommend Ted's kits. I would rather not to have worry about component failure. If a steel guide were to break I would end up with some bent valves, if the chain wore through the cover I would need new bearings and possibly a total rebuild.

I am not sure who the painter is, but Tool uses it their album artwork. peace
Old 08-24-2010, 08:28 AM

It looks like an Alex Grey...

Quick Reply: 22re Plastic Guides VS Metal Backed Guides