Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE misfire that increases with RPM - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am in the same boat as a lot of you guys, my 4runner has had this issue for quite a while now and on my fresh rebuild it is worse now that everything has been cleaned (including the EGR) and the motor has good compression.

I will have to make a custom gasket with the 1/8th opening for the EGR. Do you think regular gasket material will hold up or should I maybe sandwich a piece of soda can in there withe the hole also?
Old 08-05-2010, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soda can worked fine for me!
Right between the plenum and the EGR.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ycmike
The problem is fixed. The post I made earlier about the EGR orafice size was the fix. It was reduced to a 1/8" opening and the misfire is almost completely gone. The engine still passes smog with this size opening.

I suspect that the reason the problem started after the rebuild was that I throughly cleaned everything before putting the engine back together. This included the TB, all TB vacuum ports, the air plenum including the EGR passeges. I suspect that either the TB vacuum ports were restricting vacuum to the modulator or the EGR passeges were restricting the EGR gasses to the intake.

The EGR which I had installed was a toyota OEM part and it had an opening of about 3/8". The shop said that this was very large for such a small engine. I can't explain why this would be this way.

Next step is to drive it and see how the engine runs after several hundred miles. The engine was rebuilt using Rock products including the rings. I've been following the other thread on Rock rings not sealing so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the rings seat ok in this engine.
That's what I get for not subscribing. Sorry I missed this. Congrats, chief.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OMG, OMG, OMG, IT FIXED IT !!!!!

ycmike please thank you mechanic and Thank You for posting his finding.

I cant believe how long my truck has done this and I do believe it all started when I cleaned my EGR with a pipe cleaner a year ago.

Btw: I couldnt fine a soda can so I used a Coors Light can
Old 08-06-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jaysun
YCMIKE,
I tried the same solution also with the same result, However I am still convinced this is only compensating for something else that has stopped working correctly. With that said, I will also state that I am about to give up trying to find anything else, Ive spent too much time and money on this stupid problem. It just doesnt make sense, It used to work fine without a custom made gasket to restrict the EGR.

Anyway, If I do find anything else I will post it here.

Cheers

Jaysun
Jaysun,
I tend to agree with what you are saying, that it does seem to make sense that something else would be the real root cause. However, there are a number of other components on my engine now that are not stock including a number of the engine internals as well as the head. Compression is definitely higher now than before as well as overall manifold vacuum and I don't know what casting changes there might be between the stock 22re head and the Rock Products head. Some of these could be affecting how much vacuum signal is being applied to the EGR valve and some could be that the EGR gas routing through the head is now a less restrictive design.

Like you, I've spent way too much time and money trying to resolve this issue so at this point I'm fine with a restricted EGR especially that it still passes California smog just fine.

Again, I agree that there still seems to be a missing piece of the puzzle...I'm just not willing at this point to try and find it but, please let us know if you do. My engine still has an occasional misfire at higher RPM. Not enough to spend anymore time on, and not noticable when driving unless you are really paying attention.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:36 PM

HI ,new here, 85 4runner and looking for surging issues , did plugs ,injector cleaner , and got a fuel filter and just read your issues and my radiator level was also getting low and its been warm, also thought injectors hope you guys figure it out so I can get some info . thanks
Old 10-20-2015, 05:51 AM

wow,

Mechanic was dumbfounded, checked everything, all working fine... I read this thread through, it was DejaVu at every post.

I used a Dr Pepper can, 1/8 titanium drill bit might have been excessive but the Dr fixed her up. So happy to have my 4runner back. She runs so good but the miss is still there just really really hard to notice.

I am a bit worried that it is only a temp fix though. Anyone discover why cleaning and rebuilding an engine would cause this trouble? I too did a total top end revamp with an LC engineering street performer head and cam including some serious scrubbing when this problem started. Lots of new parts.

Will keep looking for the root cause.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:22 AM

I have now used this trick myself with the same success. Many of the same issues/symptoms after a new head and many other new/modified parts. I repeated it twice (EGR blocked/normal) to confirm that indeed it was working.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:18 AM

Cool 4RunnerTexas

I'm having this same problem with my 86' 4X- 22re. I've owned this truck since 2003. Its a California Spec Truck. I moved to Texas in 2005 and it ran fine for a few years and then I parked it for 7 years. I cleaned the gas tank out and resealed it when I wanted to use it again and replaced the sending unit. I'm having the same high rpm miss fire and low idle rough idle. I will try everything posted as possible fixes. Thanks for the info.