Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re fires, runs for 3 seconds then dies...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So it ended uP being the comPuter, won one on eBay for 20 bux shipped, plugged it in the fired right up. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 06-07-2011, 04:37 PM

Glad that you got it figured out!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sweet. Never seen that before

Last edited by Duffdog; 06-08-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:49 PM

Nice !!!
Old 10-27-2012, 11:28 AM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but my 91 22re is having similar issues. I just did a battery/intake swap, also fixed timing, put in new plugs. I kept the same afm and just moved the wires to the other side. My truck will start, it will run probably 1500 rpm's like its warming up, then will die after 30 seconds to a minute. If I so much as touch the gas pedal, it will instantly die. It doesn't hesitate, it just shuts off.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Likely you either have a bad connection in the AFM wiring:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...tml#AFMtesting
or a hole in the intake tubing:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#AirLeaks

You might see if there are any stored codes in the ECU. When I had a bad connection in my lengthened AFM wiring, I got an AFM code out of the ECU. And sure enough, when I tested the signals at the wiring connection, I found I had a loose pin in my connector I had used.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You have a hole in the intake manifold letting un-metered air into the engine. You may have forgotten a plug, PCV, or your EGR is stuck open
Old 10-28-2012, 08:39 AM

for me it ended up being the computer was bad on the pass side kick panel. replaced it and it ran fine again.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:46 PM

Second Resurrection
My 86 4Runner is cranking and starting, but stalls within 5-10 sec. The more gas I give it the worse it is. I used a jumper wire in the diagnoses box as a bypass to send power directly to the fuel pump. It WORKED!! starts up and runs beautifully. Where do I go from here? Is it a relay, the fuel pump, cold start injectors, etc. Advise On the next step in diagnosing this problem.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Could be the Circuit Opening Relay:
https://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTr...ORelayLocation

or the Air Flow Meter Fc contact:
https://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTr...tml#AFMtesting

Both are easy enough to test.

Also, no big problem to run with the test jumper in place, I've done that on and off with my '85. Every once in a while it won't start due to no power to the fuel pump and I just flip a switch I've installed for that jumper and off I go:
https://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTr.../FuelPump3.jpg
After a while, it'll start normally so I turn off the switch. Actually my original plan with the switch was an anti-theft feature, adding a hidden switch for the fuel pump . But when I hooked up the switch and tested it, it started up just fine w/o the switch closed. So I set up the switch under the hood and it's handy for testing, better than rummaging around for a paper clip.

The fuel pump test jumper wire only turns on the CO relay with the ignition (instead of via the AFM Fc contact). The main thing you need to watch for is that if you run out of gas and the engine stops, you'll need to turn off the key as the fuel pump will still be running if the key is on. The fuel pump is lubed/cooled by the gasoline flowing through it.
The following users liked this post:
TEXAGG94 (06-01-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 08:09 PM

Received 823 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
... Also, no big problem to run with the test jumper in place, ...
If you get into an accident that breaks a fuel line, that "test jumper" will assure the pump keeps running, potentially soaking you with gasoline as you try to get out of the cab. To me, that would be a big problem. The purpose of the whole COR setup is to prevent just that situation.

It's your skin, but I wouldn't even pull out of the driveway like that.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (05-30-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, that's another consideration.
Lots of other vehicles have fuel pumps that turn on and off with the ignition. The fuel injected VWs were like that. I owned a '78 Rabbit and the fuel pump turned on with the ignition, you could hear it buzzing before you cranked the engine over. And that vehicle was totaled in a crash and no broken fuel line and fire. But yes, the CO relay was designed with that in mind.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 05-29-2020 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:05 PM

Received 823 Likes on 650 Posts
True. And prior to 1968 very few cars had seatbelts. Lots of those vehicles were totaled in a crash, and in some of them the occupants survived. Some of them.

In the 1970s, the number of people who died in motor vehicles each year was about the same as the number of Americans who died in the whole Vietnam war: around 50,000. Since then, the number of miles driven has more than doubled, but the annual death rate is now less than 37,000. There are lots of reasons, but vehicle design plays a big part of it. My 26-year old truck is a death-trap compared to newer vehicles, but I'm keeping the few advancements it has.

The following 2 users liked this post by scope103:
Numbchux (02-11-2021), old87yota (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 11:20 AM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't take it out of the driveway with the Fp jumpered. I'm a coward, though.
The only accident I was ever in in a car was in a 70-something Ford Galaxy 500 station wagon when I was 16. I hadn't had my license long. I saw a couple sexy girls down a gravel side road. Got turned onto the road, and punched it. Broke traction, and found the ONLY tree on this side road. A BIG old oak. Wrapped the front end around the tree, darn near threw my friend out the windshield.
Needless to say, my parents were NOT happy with me. But the car did pretty good at protecting those of us inside. At the time I didn't realize just how bad it could have been.

Since then, I've had 4 motorcycle accidents. Lost an eye, broken, nay shattered, several bones, etc. I am really glad, now, for my trucks. Are they Subarus? No, but they'll still protect me better than being on a motorcycle!

So yeah, I won't disable a safety feature like the COR! Just me, though...
Pat☺
Old 05-30-2020, 02:50 PM

Okay. I checked AFM. Here is what I got:
Test 0 - Vb-Vc-------------281 ohm
E2-Vs-------------18 ohm
E2-Vc-------------181 ohm
E2-Vb-------------101 ohm
E2-Tha------------5k/207 F
E1-Fc--------------1.8 ohm

I'm guessing this is my problem. But I wanted to check the CO relay. It's not where y'all say it should be. I cannot find it. Here is a pic of the passenger side dash/side panel area.

Old 05-30-2020, 04:00 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by TEXAGG94
Okay. I checked AFM. Here is what I got:
Test 0 - Vb-Vc-------------281 ohm
E2-Vs-------------18 ohm
E2-Vc-------------181 ohm
E2-Vb-------------101 ohm
E2-Tha------------5k/207 F
E1-Fc--------------1.8 ohm

I'm guessing this is my problem. But I wanted to check the CO relay. It's not where y'all say it should be. I cannot find it. Here is a pic of the passenger side dash/side panel area.
first, stick to a single thread to ask the SAME question; your own thread no less. the COR is up high under the passenger kick panel, put your head down in the footwell and look UP. i believe it is even visible in your photo, looking through the speaker hole.

Last edited by wallytoo; 05-30-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:34 PM

Hey wally.............. I don't think that is it. I saw that relay. It may be, but there are supposed to be two other relays with it and they are not there so I wasn't sure.
Next, to your smart ass comment. I am new on here and just looking for help. I posted mine and no one responded. I found this one while looking for answers. Thought I'd reply on here with my question. AND GUESS ˟˟˟˟ING WHAT! People have reached out with help and advice.
Take your damn New Hampshire ass back to the dungeon your cave dweller. I like the help but don't appreciate the smart ass attitude associated with it. PRICK!!!
Old 05-30-2020, 04:49 PM

Okay. 6 minute later. I'm a bit more calm now and I apologize for my reaction. I've been working on this damn stall issue for 6 days now and my patience is very thin. As you can tell I didn't take to kindly to the comment you provided.
But, I went and check the relay you are referring to. After looking at it closely I again am convinced it is not the one I need to find. It is a harnessed in-line 3 prong connector. The OC relay is a mounted boxed 5 pin connection.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:08 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by TEXAGG94
Hey wally.............. I don't think that is it. I saw that relay. It may be, but there are supposed to be two other relays with it and they are not there so I wasn't sure.
Next, to your smart ass comment. I am new on here and just looking for help. I posted mine and no one responded. I found this one while looking for answers. Thought I'd reply on here with my question. AND GUESS ˟˟˟˟ING WHAT! People have reached out with help and advice.
Take your damn New Hampshire ass back to the dungeon your cave dweller. I like the help but don't appreciate the smart ass attitude associated with it. PRICK!!!
you aren’t very observant. i answered your question in your thread this morning. i even provided the correct information.

but, i’m done helping an impatient turd (you).

Last edited by wallytoo; 05-30-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:33 PM

I posted this one the same day as that one. I never got a notification that anyone had replied to that post. Not even yours, which I just went and searched after your last comment. Had you just said, "hey dude I replied to your other post". And had you also taken the time to notice that the other ppl above you had been helping me for a couple of days and further noticed that you are the only reply to my post but several have commented on my question here you might have noticed that I have been watching this one. Especially since, as I stated at the beginning of this comment, I did not get your notification to that post. Only to this post.
I wouldn't necessarily call it impatient when you wait for a day for someone to help, but at the same time seek out any answers you can find. These guys were talking about my problem so I chimed in. Simple as that.

I guess you really are a PRICK!!

But thank you for the help on the other post. It is much appreciated.

Quick Reply: 22re fires, runs for 3 seconds then dies...