Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wonderful advice! Thanks to all. We'll see what happens!
Chef- yes it has gotten louder over time, maybe just getting looser as time goes.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Could be, Brandon, regarding the valve cover bolts.... I know because I had, about 10 years ago, torqued em down too much and MAN it was clacking away...the rockers were definitely hitting the cover. Pulled em back, then went to snug+a full turn, voila, noise went away. To me though?>>> Sounds more like loose valves. When my cover was too tightened down.... it was literally smacking like lil gremlins were trying to get out using BF'lil'H's! lol. But HECK, it's the easiest try SC could attempt, ...I say go for that, first, ya know?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:28 PM

Took the rig to the mechanic today, $150. for valve adjustment, dealer wanted almost $300. He said valves were really tight and had to loosen a few to match specs. He also pointed out a broken sensor that I had not noticed, maybe he broke it,maybe. So I picked up some heavier oil and the broken sensor from the bagel at the local yard for $25. When driving it seemed liked it accelerated better. Got home put in 10w40, sensor and set timming. It seems to be running a lil smoother but sounds the same to me. Anyways until it gets any louder or leaks Im gunna enjoy her. First video before. 2nd after tune.

Would have been much better comparison if i could have rev'ed her in the 2nd vid. I will try to do that tomorrow if I have another hand
Btw- I traded a project bike for some AWSOME yota parts! I will have to start a build thread now with all my free time! Oh my god..., Im turning into my Dad and his fishing forums!
Thanks for all the advice
Old 02-15-2011, 07:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
second clip sounds like a smooth running 22re to be honest. They are noisy engines and tend to sound like sewing machines even when tuned properly. Just run it you'll be fine.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:39 AM

As long as it's not leaking 2 quarts an hour...IT SOUND PERFECTLY capable to drive back East, right now, SC... NOTHING audibly sounds wrong with that, honest!

Mouse is right, ...and it doesn't matter if you started with a BRAND NEW, direct from dealer motor, ...it would still NEVER be as quiet as a, let's say, 98 Camry or something of the sort. They are called "the indestructible sewing machine's" for a reason, ya know? lol.

Right on, man..... 150$ isn't really that bad, for a mechanic. 300$? GOOD LORD, c'monnnnnn! lol.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:37 PM

Shes runing great, and thanks for telling me what I wanted hear!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:55 PM

NO problem! hahaha.

When you leaving town again?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:05 AM

We are leaving friday around 4pm. It will probably be slow going 'cause its the three day weekend, my wife is driving and all kinds of snow! I looking forward to see how the 4runner performs. If I get any cool pictures I'll post them.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:54 AM

"Be gentle, honey, .....I've been through Yotatech Aneurysms over this rig already..ok?"...she should be good to go after that, hahahaha.

Cool, have a nice trip, man! I'm going Havasu, soon, to visit pops(GOD HELP ME if my truck doesn't behave.....I should say, HELP IT! HAHA)... and then Kingman, AZ, Beginning of April for my bosses High School Reunion! haha. Yeah, they want me to cook for 148 of their friends....and I'm sure, some of their friends and family and their friends...and family, hahaha. I'm told, 380+ so far, ....it'll be fun!

Be sure to bring extra fluids, some tools and maybe a lil FIPK, just for emergencies, haha. Heck, I always bring that stuff, plus extra Thermostat, Cap and Rotor, a starter I had lying around, etc., etc., etc..... Why not,right? Oh, and always have extra fuses, am I right? haha.

Seriously, have a great time, man, and HEAL QUICK!
Old 02-22-2011, 03:53 PM

UPDATE-
Just got back from a 500 mile round trip to the snow. She ran great with no problems. MPG's improved by two on average. It runs quieter and smoother.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by sc87yota
UPDATE-
Just got back from a 500 mile round trip to the snow. She ran great with no problems. MPG's improved by two on average. It runs quieter and smoother.
WOOT! LOL. congratz, Man!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:22 PM

UPDATE:
The "tapping" noise never went away after paying a mechanic to adjust the valves and its been driving me nuts ever since! My arm has healed up a bit more and Im able to do a little more wrenching. Today I pulled the valve cover because I wanted to see the T chain and guides for myself. To my suprise everything look brand new. There was no slack in the chain After moving a loose rocker arm up and down I was able to i.d. the "tapping" sound. So I got a feeler guage for $8. and did the valves myself. I adjusted to .07 and .011 instead of .08 and .012 as suggested by MightyMouse. I have only drivin her about 15 miles since adjustment but.... WOW... AMAZING.. the engine sounds exactly how it should!! After thinking it was so many things the valves just needed to be readjusted!! This was A LOT easier than I thought it was going to be, go buy a feeler guage and do yours!(FSM is good to)

Old 03-20-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Good work with 1 arm! Do you have a video of what it sounds like after you adjusted them? Curious to hear the difference...
Old 03-20-2011, 10:11 PM

Yahooooooo! Gimpee's on the mend!!!!! hahaha. RIGHT ON, dawwwwwwg! hehe. Thassa lotta yella! lol. I'm back to another tick, bud .... yep, it's true. Already been in there and adjusted again. Gonna try new adjuster screws, and then,...well, it looks like I might end up having to pull the head.

BTW, was your tick like a pencil tip lightly ticking on a table(high pitched, can't feel it in your feet, etc.)??? That's what mine is sounding like......DRIVING ME NUTS, TOO! LOL.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:30 PM

YES! I ALSO was thinking new adjuster screws. A few of mine were not flat on bottom. I read that the wear causes louder tapping.
Mine was like a heavy pencil tapping and almost sounded like a knock at idle. Sounds much better know, time will tell.
I will try to post a vid. tomorrow of how sweet she sounds
Old 03-21-2011, 05:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
glad to see that worked out for you.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:31 PM

So after the heavy ticking calmed down to a sewing machine like sound I could hear the tensenior pulley squeeking and the belt had some visable wear. Got all three belts and the lower pulley at local auto shop. Took t. pulley off and could hear metal noises coming from bearing when spun by hand. Took thin putty knife and popped the seal off and sure enough if was bone dry. Soaked open bearing in some left-over Sea Foam(it was actually the trans. tune bottle). After a couple houres there was a later of scum on top. Sprayed down with brake cleaner and packed with grease. All back together.... Sounds GREAT!

Old 03-23-2011, 07:43 PM

Heres your video, sounds and runs much better than before!

Last edited by sc87yota; 11-26-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:31 PM

Awesome, my brudda from North'o'me! lol. Hope you're healing up quickly, too!

Far as mine, it's looking more and more like my machinist(I hate having to call him that, lol....how bout, "The MEAT POPSICLE that did my motor"???? haha)... it's looking as though he did a really bad job making CERTAIN of specs in my rocker assembly. Possibly MANY. I'm gonna post it all on my build. Got some GREAT info from Tod at engnbldr today. Once again, they're VERY INTERESTED in my symptoms, the end results, etc, lol.

Have a good'n, man... SC IN THE PLACE TO B! lol.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:41 PM

Thanks Chef, Good luck with yours!

Quick Reply: 22re diagnosis