Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re AFM second opinion needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't see it drop down to 0 anywhere in the range, but I did see a lot of readings >1000. It's hard to borrow any since I live in Hawai'i though. I would if it were more feasible. If someone wants to sell one that's within spec for a fair price I would be interested though

I'm going to go attack it with some carb cleaner after I pull off the TB again and try to see if I can fix the aux air valve. I'm guessing it's either out of adjustment and/or something plugging the coolant lines because it has a cold idle of about 2250rpm and the temps here don't drop below about 68f so no need for that
Old 07-08-2012, 05:16 PM

and now for some bad news. On friday I received the denso o2 sensor and after almost getting it installed, found out it's slightly different from the one that's on there and the sheath on it prevents it from fitting in the bung. according to research it's the correct part number and fires up fine in the truck but won't seal because of this. I put the old one back in for the time being.

but for the worst news, as I was driving yesterday the truck started acting really funny and was revving all over the place despite a constant amount of throttle. at lower rpm's it was getting ready to die, but when I opened the throttle up wide it would go. i managed to limp it home and take a look. when I rev'd the engine up, the AFM would make a mechanical noise and it would idle ok for a few seconds, then the noise from the AFM would stop and it would go to about a 500rpm idle. eventually it would slow down and die. I took the lame k&n air filter off and it started to idle fine, but it seems to be missing like hell throughout the rpm range and the idle speed screw isn't having any effect now. I have the filter off and am cleaning it, but I doubt it was dirty enough to have been causing problems.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:23 PM

update.. after cleaning the air filter for whatever reason now it's running fine and maybe even a bit better. almost nothing came out of the air filter, so I still don't quite get that, but i'll take it! as long as it keeps getting me to/from work
Old 07-10-2012, 08:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Swapping the transmission from auto to manual will not in any way make your truck run lean, there is no way thats even possible.

Have you ever replaced the fuel filter ?, it seems to be the most over looked item on these vehicles.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:28 PM

i replaced the fuel filter when I rebuilt the top end. the only thing I overlooked when I did that was cleaning or replacing the injectors, I tried to make sure I did everything else while I was in there. Just to recap, since i can't find my own rig thread (lol)...

replaced the timing cover, chain, guides, sprockets, front main seal, chain tensioner

had the head resurfaced by a machine shop which didn't specify how much they removed and I never bothered to measure. they also cleaned up my valve faces and seats and I threw in an engnbldr 261c while I was in there because the old cam was worn way out of spec. new tappets, new head bolts and toyota's head gasket under it.

replaced the fuel filter and bracket since someone destroyed the bracket. I cleaned *everything* and painted most of what would be visible on top. also dropped, cleaned and painted the oil pan and that sucker won't be leaking for the next 1000 years thanks to toyota FIPG.

transmission swapped to a 5spd from my '87 4runner with 100k on it with a centerforce clutch, new bearings and new rear main seal. the only wire work that I did for this was to jump the neutral start wires and reverse lights, I'm unaware of any other wiring that I may be missing.

I really need to buy an intake elbow asap.. my bandaids aren't working for very long