Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22R 87 Pickup Fuel Bowl Flooding with brand new Carb

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22R 87 Pickup Fuel Bowl Flooding with brand new Carb

Hey guys! I made a post many months ago when I first purchased my 87 Toyota pickup about gas getting into the oil. When it came into my possession it was intermittently running poorly (Running super-rich), flooding, gas was getting into the oil, and the choke on the carburetor was busted(causing hard starts or no starts at all), and the fuel bowl was overfilling. Since then I've gotten one of the inexpensive aftermarket replacement Carbs and mounted it on, did some other things like cap and rotor, spark plugs and spark plug wires. So now it is doesn't seem to be running as rich anymore, or easily flooding, it starts easily. However, it simply won't idle normally, it will hold an extremely high idle, but if the idle is adjusted 'correctly; it dies. I've toyed with the speed and mixture screws to no avail and looked over and over for vacuum leaks. and to add, the darn fuel bowl on the carb is all the way full.

So my proceeding plan of action with this new set of symptoms is centered around the fuel bowl being too full. So of course I'm going to check the float even though it's a new carb (I guess it is reasonable to believe it could have been set wrong or messed up in shipping.) I'm also thinking the new mechanical fuel pump one of the previous owners installed might be one of those newer ones that push too much fuel pressure causing a fuel bowl to flood. I'm thinking of going with an expensive one from LCE performance or possibly going with an electric fuel pump. I have also been told that a clogged catalytic converter due to the rich running, would cause the truck to not run properly.

I know this post is kind of all over the place. I guess simply I'm looking for general advice, or what place would be the most logical to start, or what I may have done wrong, or if I've missed something altogether.

Thank you all
Old 07-12-2021, 07:49 PM
YT Community Team

Received 857 Likes on 606 Posts
Either the float is set wrong or you have a faulty needle and seat.
I got a rebuilt carb for my Samurai and I had a incorrect float height right outta the box.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much, Jim! That is certainly on my list. I should have suspected that sooner!