Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1st Gen 4Runner Tonneau

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the waiting is becoming excrutiating, but hopefully it will end at 2pm today. I just got off the phone with the shop. I will update as soon as I have it back and get some pics.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:28 PM

Cant wait to see it!
Old 04-25-2007, 03:44 PM

Me either, looks like tomorrow now. 'Spose this is the creative process at work. Sounds like they found some potential leaks and have altered the design. I told the shop that there may be others interested so they are trying to make an easily repeatable design.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Banned

shoerunner...did they finish it? i was goign to use snap fasteners but you said the shop is utilizing the factory holes...i want to see this!

jeff
Old 04-27-2007, 05:30 AM

So at this point I am guess many of you are as antsy as I am. I still don't have it back yet. The latest deadline is in a half hour, but I have ceased holding my breathe.

The key to this whole design will be the vinyl/rubber/zipper collar that bolts onto the back of the cab. There are two holes that need to be drill near the bottom, but so far that sounds like the only modification to the vehicle. The sides are held on by aluminum rails that are also bolted to the factory holes.
-Shoe
Old 04-28-2007, 07:03 AM

Finally!!!

I picked up the truck yesterday. It went ok. There was a bit of a snafu with the price, but we got it worked out. They kept it for an extra week tweaking things and then decided to try and charge me time and materials.

There are also some tweaks I want to make like adding bows to the back, adding support to the back window and sealing around the roll hoop better.

It is a beautiful Saturday morning here so I need to go sell some Toyotas. Will update more later.
-Shoe

Last edited by ShoeRunner; 04-28-2007 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:25 AM

Looks like you have to be a member to use those links...got any other links to the pics?
Old 04-30-2007, 06:03 AM

get an account you outcast
Old 04-30-2007, 08:07 AM

I see that guys are able to upload large pictures right into a thread, but I have yet to be able to accomplish this. I couldn't find a FAQ for it though I am sure it is out there. When I attach them it makes me use very small pics.

Any help please.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:02 AM

You can create a photobucket account and upload the files. Once they are uploaded, there is a link that you copy and paste into the thread.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:20 AM

Looks sweet ive always wanted a first gen,
Old 04-30-2007, 12:03 PM

I think I got it now. Thanks for the help with photobucket. I didn't realize that you needed a login for myspace to see pictures.

In this first one you can see the two pieces and a little of how it goes around the roll hoop. No, it is not watertight yet, but I am working on it. I will also be adding some support bows so that I do not have a swimming pool back there.

Here you can see the zippered collar and window. I am going to attach something to the base of the window to straighted out the pucker.

I am having so much fun with this truck now. I found that I can put the back window down while sitting in the driver's seat, so I have been folding it down when I drive back and forth to home.

I had the back section off yesterday and was working in the bed. It is so much easier to play with stuff in there now that I can stand outside the truck and lean over. I was afraid that slidding it on and off might be a pain,but it is actually quite easy since it is in two pieces.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) How much?
2) Did they use sheet metal screws to hold that thing onto the cab?
3) Take some photos of attachment points (please) - want to see how it's held to the sides and tailgate.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Banned

kind of what i had in mind but my rear window will not be slanted. it also won't unzip from the top of the cab but the bottom, so i'll have 3 pieces. yours looks good, i'll post pictures of mine when it's done...it will be sunbrella
Old 04-30-2007, 03:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Good job, looks great. Post some pics of the mounting hardware. Does the large part slide on?
Old 04-30-2007, 04:21 PM

I have tomorrow off so I will work on getting some better pictures.

They used the same thread bolts to hold the cab portion on as the factory bolts, just needed ones without the washers. The rails are held on by the factory bolts.

Well I ended up at $500 +tax, but they really tried to soak me. Originally handed me a bill for $1295. After they kept it for an extra week the owner at some point thought he could bill me time and materials. As far as the quality, for $500 I am pretty happy, if I had been paying the $1295 I would be pissed!

I was hoping to use mine as a prototype that they could make copies with, but things aren't currently that well between the shop and I. Anything I can do help other with what I can see though I am all over it. I really like the design even though certain elements were not what I originally envisioned.

My thought was to make the window one piece and then seal to the front of the tonneau with velcro and the rest was one piece. To use the seats you would undo velcro back to the rear of the seats. After seeing it done I think what I ended up with is much better. The rails are uniform all the way forward. I actually like the zippers at the top now cause I can reach it from inside. One thing I might suggest for rudementary security is to use zipper pulls with only one tab and put it to the inside.

The way it works: I can unzip the back window in a few seconds and just tuck the window into the bed. If I want to use the rear seats I can slide the front section forward and out. To remove the rear I undo the section around the roll hoops and pull it off the back. I can of course do this with the front still attached as well.

Looking at it I kinda wish I had attempted it myself. The only parts that really scare me are the mounting of the window and the collar around the cab. I think the rest is pretty straight forward. I still am not settled on how to deal with sealing around the roll bar. I am certainly open to suggestions and I will take better pictures of that area.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Banned

about the seal around the roll bar. there is a jeep soft top "half top" or something that is very simlar to what your top looks like. do a search and you will see. if you head to your local jeep dealer im sure they have some examples they can show you. anyway, there is this jeep near my area that i see all the time with the half top, that top is what inspired me with the tonneau idea. which you already done! i hope this can help you.

Last edited by eightyfive; 04-30-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:36 PM

looks awesome!
Old 05-02-2007, 05:16 AM

eighty five, tks for the idea. I thought that there was going to be something like that in there from the beginning, but alas. I was thinking about making a trip to the plumbing department and see if I can find any inspiration there. Currently I have some horrible duct tape on there that I needed to shelter from impending rain.

Sorry the pics didn't happen yesterday, I was on doggy watch. Our recovering knee-surgery patient needs alot of attention. I was FORCED to sit and watch movies all day! The Horror...the horror...
Old 05-03-2007, 07:29 PM

Nice top ShoeRunner - but I am sure it hasn't been on too much with the way the weather has been around here lately. So what shop did the work? Don't need anything right now but you never know. Is that the family truckster in the background?

Quick Reply: 1st Gen 4Runner Tonneau