Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1st gen 4runner Amber dash bulb swap (with pics) - $10 mod!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks good. i might have to do that to mine.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:31 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
sizes 168 and 194 are the exact same size. the 168 bulb uses 4.9 watts, while the 194 uses 3.78 watts. the 168 will burn brighter yet shorter, and the 194 will burn dimmer but longer
Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks...I was kinda wondering bout the bulb specs...info appreciated.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:28 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by irab88
sizes 168 and 194 are the exact same size. the 168 bulb uses 4.9 watts, while the 194 uses 3.78 watts. the 168 will burn brighter yet shorter, and the 194 will burn dimmer but longer

Sorry, I don't get it. Phil installed the 194's while HiLux installed the 168's, and Phil's dash is brighter than HiLux's. I'd like to avoid the bulbs getting too hot as bleederdude cautioned against. Seems 194's are the lower wattage, but why is Phil's brighter? Doesn't jibe with what you're saying here.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Sorry, I don't get it. Phil installed the 194's while HiLux installed the 168's, and Phil's dash is brighter than HiLux's. I'd like to avoid the bulbs getting too hot as bleederdude cautioned against. Seems 194's are the lower wattage, but why is Phil's brighter? Doesn't jibe with what you're saying here.
i had to double-check to make sure, but yes, what i posted is correct. brightness depends on a lot of factors. if the rheostat was turned down, it'll be dimmer. if the head lights are on and the engine off, it'll be dimmer. and visa-versa. also, not all cameras take the same type of picture, and some don't even take the same quality picture two times in a row. so it might just be the camera and it's settings, too.

ok, i think thats it...

♪♫"super geek, he's a super geek, he's super geeky...yeah"♪♫
Old 09-15-2010, 05:20 AM

The truck wasnt running. After a trip out last night. I do wish they were a little brighter. But im good.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:36 AM

i had to double-check to make sure, but yes, what i posted is correct. brightness depends on a lot of factors. if the rheostat was turned down, it'll be dimmer. if the head lights are on and the engine off, it'll be dimmer. and visa-versa. also, not all cameras take the same type of picture, and some don't even take the same quality picture two times in a row. so it might just be the camera and it's settings, too.

ok, i think thats it...

♪♫"super geek, he's a super geek, he's super geeky...yeah"♪♫
I understand all that. In the first several pictures, Phil's vehicle wasn't running and his headlamps were not on. I'm assuming HiLux took his pictures under the same conditions. (HiLux???).

No matter. If the 168's aren't bright enough, according to what HiLux says, I'll go with the 194's and adjust with the rheostat. And, of course, monitor things.

I wonder if you can get an endorsement from Rick James? More likely Weird Al, though.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dome light?

[quote=ChefYota4x4;51532854]Curious what the brightest, widest spectrum bulb for my Dome would be, still???? lol. Don't mean to highjack... just thought someone was going to throw that out on here... NO? lol.

Chefyota,
This looks promising but I've personally not used them
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3175-...Q5fAccessories
Old 09-16-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Curious what the brightest, widest spectrum bulb for my Dome would be, still???? lol. Don't mean to highjack... just thought someone was going to throw that out on here... NO? lol.

YES, Heli... DANG that Autoilluminati Co. has lots of bulbs, hahah. I kept scrolling and scrolling.... GEESH! lol. They supposedly have several kit's or bulbs that ONLY THEY make, ....from what I've read. Looking forward to getting a BRIGHT Dome!
I just bought this http://www.oznium.com/thin-led-domelight from Oznium.com.

Fit without a hitch and it literally brightens up the whole dang front of the 4Runner. It's a bit pricey, but IMO well worth it. I also bought some of the small strips to add aux lighting. If I had thought about it prior, I would have taken "before" pics, but believe me, there is no comparison to the "after". Hope this helps!
Old 09-23-2010, 04:08 PM

Digging the amber lights. Just did a sr5 cluster swap on my pickup and put in white LED's. It's not too difficult to pull the cluster so I may have to try ambers too...
Old 09-23-2010, 06:24 PM

hey- i just swaped my marker lights from 194s to 168s, and they don't seem too much brighter, if they even are any brighter. so much for all that basic electronics i just took

mega-
how do you like the led glow? can you dim them? and where did you get them from?
answers! i need ANSWERS!!!!

edit: by the way, welcome to yotatech!

Last edited by irab88; 09-23-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:33 PM

Good....now I can just leave em be.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by thinsley
I just bought this http://www.oznium.com/thin-led-domelight from Oznium.com.

Fit without a hitch and it literally brightens up the whole dang front of the 4Runner. It's a bit pricey, but IMO well worth it. I also bought some of the small strips to add aux lighting. If I had thought about it prior, I would have taken "before" pics, but believe me, there is no comparison to the "after". Hope this helps!
I got one of those big, squarish, overhead, interior, utility van lights for my 4rnr. Brightens the entire vehicle! It's about 3 x1.5 x1.5 inches. But, then I wanted a lot of light for loading and unloading and generally digging around the vehicle at night. With the hardtop off, it even brightens the surrounding enviroment fairly well. It's not blinding when it's on, either. Got it cheap at O'Reilly a long time ago.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:04 PM

looks great, and good job with the right up...very thorough!!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:49 PM

Any pics of anybody with red? I may just have to do this and my heater cluster in red to match my radio deck!
Old 09-27-2010, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by yeehaw1
Any pics of anybody with red? I may just have to do this and my heater cluster in red to match my radio deck!
i kinda did it in red. i'm still debating on what i should do. but i can get some pics up tomorrow night (if i remember). the red caps from autolumination are darker than the stock green ones, but it is a cool effect. if you do go red, i suggest either the red bulb or an led cluster
Old 09-28-2010, 06:36 AM

Please remeber the pics, I plan on doing this too my truck with colored bulbs of course, but want to see how it looks before I go and do this!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:54 AM

it should look about the same as the amber bulb swap (but red, of course). i used the red silly-con caps, so my outcome was different. but yeah, i'll get the pics. if you do use the red bulbs, let us know how it turns out. i'm still looking for someone who's done led's in the dash, as that's what i want to do
Old 09-28-2010, 02:21 PM

it should look about the same as the amber bulb swap (but red, of course). i used the red silly-con caps, so my outcome was different. but yeah, i'll get the pics. if you do use the red bulbs, let us know how it turns out. i'm still looking for someone who's done led's in the dash, as that's what i want to do
I'll be sure ta let y'all know, what local type stores sell these little red lights? I don't want to order them of from the net if I can keep from it.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
NICE, ...so it worked? Glad to hear, Phil.... Hope I steered you more in the right direction rather than wrong? hahaha. Looks great, ...now more vid of it not flickering out! lol.

My buddy has Red, btw, and it looks great. Another person I barely know has blue in there, with what he said are 'wide spectrum led's'.... ??? It's REALLY bright, but I can't see a need for any brighter than what you have, Phil.... LOOKS GREAT! 2 THUMBS UP! LOL.

Anyone know if there is a Xenon or whatever type bulb for my dome that will be lots brighter than the original? I took off the plastic and CLEANED IT UP REALLY good! It's much brighter. I tried the 8 LED pack at Pep Boys, ....it works, but it's just doesn't seem as wide spectrum or brighter ENOUGH to pay 20$ for it... I've seen the 24 LED packs like this 8 pack one.... just not sure it would be the ticket as I want it to be able to light up the whole cab and not just my console, ya know?

Sorry to mini-highjack, ....any ideas on a brighter normal type bulb for that dome?
Do a swap! I did and love the lighting.

25.00 ebay...a piece of scrap wood and a sprya or two from a rattle can. Less than the LED bulb.

Quick Reply: 1st gen 4runner Amber dash bulb swap (with pics) - $10 mod!