Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1991 4-runner Str8 Axle

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks funny with those small tires. It would look great with some 35's or bigger on there. You would think that they would want bigger tires for the sand, something that you could air down.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:25 PM

For Those Who Don't Get It:

When I came back home from the service in 2000, the fad just blew up and it took awhile for me to understand the concept. It actually functions well on the soft sand without having to air down. It was basically a reflection of the old school pipe buggy and sand drag days. Although these wheels work well on sand, they are still dangerous for daily highway purpose. But Hawaii is a chain of rocks with over population and traffic so we don't give a f*#@k. Secondly, the cost of these rims are pretty pricey, so now we got the "bling bling" factor as well. You got to remember all these people moving to Hawaii (mainly the island of Oahu), are basically stealing our off road grounds and forces us to build more houses and the beach is all we have left! Let's just say you either have to get a permit to go into military trails which is hard to get. It's been tough on us Hawaiians. When we find a way to have fun with our trucks the state brings us down. We love our trucks just as much as a redneck just we don't have the land where we can be left alone. Hawaii do have your typical hunting/hill climber's they are just not as exposed because someone would have to set a group turnout and get those f*@#k'n permits. Check out www.4x4boys.com and www.forumshawaii.net for proof.

So the Mexi's got there gold wire rims and lowriders. Well us Hawaiian's and Samoan's sh#t basically any 6' 4" islander represent in something that best fits our environment and our Heineken drinkin a$$!

SO NOW YOU KNOW THE REASONS AND CRAP WE GO THROUGH! IF I WERE YOU, DO WHAT WE DO HERE BEST... ROLL ONE AND SAY F#$KIT!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by islandpride; 03-12-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:34 PM

I am really curious as to how those tires hold a bead on such wide rims.....looks like a small pothole would blow them!

Honestly what tire pressure do you run and how stiif is the ride?
Old 03-12-2008, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Swissdrums
Do all hawiians type in caps too?

I thought he was yelling at me, maybe cuz Hawaii is so far away...cool truck though, very clean. Some Bigger tires would look awesome too!
I kind of feel like I got my ass chewed too Those tires look rediculous if you ask me. Too much wheel and not enough rubber.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:19 PM

remember when it was cool to have you whole tire sticking out the side on lowriders? like full widthh axles on a mazda with wheel spacers@!

love the runner from the waist up!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by islandpride

When I came back home from the service in 2000, the fad just blew up and it took awhile for me to understand the concept. It actually functions well on the soft sand without having to air down. It was basically a reflection of the old school pipe buggy and sand drag days. Although these wheels work well on sand, they are still dangerous for daily highway purpose. But Hawaii is a chain of rocks with over population and traffic so we don't give a f*#@k. Secondly, the cost of these rims are pretty pricey, so now we got the "bling bling" factor as well. You got to remember all these people moving to Hawaii (mainly the island of Oahu), are basically stealing our off road grounds and forces us to build more houses and the beach is all we have left! Let's just say you either have to get a permit to go into military trails which is hard to get. It's been tough on us Hawaiians. When we find a way to have fun with our trucks the state brings us down. We love our trucks just as much as a redneck just we don't have the land where we can be left alone. Hawaii do have your typical hunting/hill climber's they are just not as exposed because someone would have to set a group turnout and get those f*@#k'n permits. Check out www.4x4boys.com and www.forumshawaii.net for proof.

So the Mexi's got there gold wire rims and lowriders. Well us Hawaiian's and Samoan's sh#t basically any 6' 4" islander represent in something that best fits our environment and our Heineken drinkin a$$!

SO NOW YOU KNOW THE REASONS AND CRAP WE GO THROUGH! IF I WERE YOU, DO WHAT WE DO HERE BEST... ROLL ONE AND SAY F#$KIT!!!!!!!!!!
Some nice trucks you guy's have there I now see the reason for the wide tires. You guy's must have an assload of stright axles laying around the island for as many as I seen in them pictures looks like the only way to go there, Some nice mud holes to by the way.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:01 AM

It's not April yet, is it?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:21 AM

needs more lift, less tire and maybe some cheap HIDS off ebay to make it complete.....
Old 03-13-2008, 08:19 AM

I sort of get the tire thing for the sand, but what about the lift? The point to a lift is so that you can get bigger tires under it. You could fit those tires and flintstone rims on a stock truck, so why bother? Looks way stupid if you ask me. Nice truck if you chop it off at the knees though.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:35 AM

yeah... try 15x12 and put a 37" tire on...then it'll start to appeal to people not stranded in paradise...
Old 03-13-2008, 09:16 AM

Why not just use something like the Micky Thompson 18" wide tire? (I think the diameter is 36 or 38")
Old 03-13-2008, 09:22 AM

Other than the small tires nice truck. Put some 40's on it and you will have a sexy 4 runner
Old 03-13-2008, 10:02 AM

Ok so nobody does the dunes huh.

ratio kids there is no point to have a 140 hp (75-90 whp) truck with 40 in tires in sand.
unless you hit the hill in 4th pinned 4low that is you cant/wont get anywhere. actually this is a sign of function. the lift is obviously because of a sas. you can only get like 4 in lift when you do that. which is bull i think. but to all his own. Style is just that. you like it or sit down. i like it get a v8 or just some boost in that bitch and rip it up. 4doors dvd and stuff i'd bring the keg.

Late
Old 03-13-2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by bcope
Ok so nobody does the dunes huh.

ratio kids there is no point to have a 140 hp (75-90 whp) truck with 40 in tires in sand.
unless you hit the hill in 4th pinned 4low that is you cant/wont get anywhere. actually this is a sign of function. the lift is obviously because of a sas. you can only get like 4 in lift when you do that. which is bull i think. but to all his own. Style is just that. you like it or sit down. i like it get a v8 or just some boost in that bitch and rip it up. 4doors dvd and stuff i'd bring the keg.

Late
I guess you missed the part about the "functional" 12 inches of lift?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:50 AM

Im sorry but i can't see how those tires would be safe 2 drive.
I know a few tire techs and thats just morely wrong 2 mount tires like that.

Other then that the truck looks nice just need a set of 36s on the right rims.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Doesnt look like 15x8" rims to me

I like everything BUT the tires. Throw a set of (at least) 36" tires and it will be rockin'.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:12 AM

Reason for the "high lift" is the same reason if you put tall tires. Because of the wider wheel base, if you go with your standard 6 inch it would not be enough to clear the tires on turns. Boggers are the best choice because they are like DOT approve paddle tires. Wide wheel base and paddle tires are the key components in sand racing. Like what I said this is a beach purpose use. Not a hill climbing purpose. Maybe if Hawaii's government can ration the amount of people wanting to move into Hawaii and stop replacing our off road paradise with more housing complex, we may be able to show you much more hill climbing pics like back in the days. Did I mention they want to open a "small" off-road park so that we can pay & play? What the f#@k we live in paradise should be free! Sorry if you don't get it, if you visit Oahu you will understand we make with what we got...left. But let me say that rooster tailing in x-tra soft sand is fun as hell.
I for one sold my All-Pro SAS Toy with the turbo 22r motor. It had 31 TSL shoes wrapped around 15x12 Rock Crushers. Lucky for me I was in the National Guards so I had a little advantage to hitting the hills on government land. Now living in Las Vegas I got a FJC that's perfect for the terrain.

To olharleyman: yup we got alot of straight axles lying around.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:45 AM

for me this post showed" more of the same' when it comes to the mindset of some hawaians.Most people ive met in my travels to the islands are way super nice but at the same time they live in such an area where appearances mean FAR more than they would ever admit to themselves..in simple terms i have found in my travels there is a kindof disease that shows itself by one thing:a need to look cool...

most people there hide behind the attitude of "oh just be laid back bruddah,its the island way" but in reality they are WAY more addicted and anxious about how they look then they even know themselves.

in my opinion this is a classic case of a person gettin exited bout how he is gonna look on "da beech" rather than spendin his sun tannin time researchin rigs and their functions..."i luv rooster tailin sand" haha
people like this just make the shaved ice taste sour in my opinion....

i see where he is goin with the dune buggy thing but i think this ideal has lived in his mind more than it has transfered to a functional and working rig...

before you all think i am baggin on him for sport i will tell you that when i first got into trucks that some of my first daydreams were to jack it skyward and get big tires and what not and most of these thoughts were bout how i would look and what image i would project...
i then sat down and read bout what hobby i was into and realized that one must mod his rig specifically for what he intends to do..
i mean i had to face the fact that i need a dd and will be offroading mildly and not alot so therefore small tires [all terrain]and a locker would be way better than gear bustin superswampers and a step ladder to enter the rig!
even most hardcore trail rigs have a modest limit on lift and tire size..
my truck is almost modded to completion now and it looks nuthin like my fantasy did..this is becuz i learned function is more important than looks just the same way a really good looking girl can be rotten inside..first take care of what matters then pay a lil attention to looks..

anyway there is no shame in the game if you learn your lessons but if you refuse to learn just remember that when you are at the beach thinkin you are lookin killer that someone who knows their stuff is lookin all over your rig and seeing where you are an idiot.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bart called, he wants his wheels back.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mudhoney
for me this post showed" more of the same' when it comes to the mindset of some hawaians.Most people ive met in my travels to the islands are way super nice but at the same time they live in such an area where appearances mean FAR more than they would ever admit to themselves..in simple terms i have found in my travels there is a kindof disease that shows itself by one thing:a need to look cool...

most people there hide behind the attitude of "oh just be laid back bruddah,its the island way" but in reality they are WAY more addicted and anxious about how they look then they even know themselves.

in my opinion this is a classic case of a person gettin exited bout how he is gonna look on "da beech" rather than spendin his sun tannin time researchin rigs and their functions..."i luv rooster tailin sand" haha
people like this just make the shaved ice taste sour in my opinion....

i see where he is goin with the dune buggy thing but i think this ideal has lived in his mind more than it has transfered to a functional and working rig...

before you all think i am baggin on him for sport i will tell you that when i first got into trucks that some of my first daydreams were to jack it skyward and get big tires and what not and most of these thoughts were bout how i would look and what image i would project...
i then sat down and read bout what hobby i was into and realized that one must mod his rig specifically for what he intends to do..
i mean i had to face the fact that i need a dd and will be offroading mildly and not alot so therefore small tires [all terrain]and a locker would be way better than gear bustin superswampers and a step ladder to enter the rig!
even most hardcore trail rigs have a modest limit on lift and tire size..
my truck is almost modded to completion now and it looks nuthin like my fantasy did..this is becuz i learned function is more important than looks just the same way a really good looking girl can be rotten inside..first take care of what matters then pay a lil attention to looks..

anyway there is no shame in the game if you learn your lessons but if you refuse to learn just remember that when you are at the beach thinkin you are lookin killer that someone who knows their stuff is lookin all over your rig and seeing where you are an idiot.
Amen. That's my opinion of SAS'd/ open diff rigs in general. Bugs the hell out of me seeing really built trucks that you know aren't build for a real purpose, its indicative of a self-absorbed, narcissistic outlook that I can't stand.

For desert work, the British Special Air Service used Land Rover Series with bald tires so they didn't "dig in". THat got them around just fine. No huge lift, wide tires etc. They were painted pink as raids often occurred at dawn or dusk and in general pink provided the best camouflage.

Last edited by Matt16; 12-01-2008 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: 1991 4-runner Str8 Axle