Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1988 22RE ignition switch plug pin continuity test check?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 01:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
1988 22RE ignition switch plug pin continuity test check?

Hi! This is my first time posting a technical question on this forum.

I realize and agree that we should not start new, unnecessary threads, but I haven't found a thread that seemed suitable to post my question to, so here I am.

My ‘88 pickup (4x4, 5-speed manual, 22RE, regular cab, base trim, VIN JT4RN63A4J0202499) has been having trouble starting. I am going through the different systems methodically (starting, ignition, fuel delivery, etc) to learn as much as I can and because I think there’s more than one issue going on. That aside for now, I’d like some input on this particular question:
I am attempting to verify the function of the ignition switch. I’ve tested the continuity of this switch per the table show in my FSM (it’s a PDF file, fyi and I don’t know the publication or Toyota ‘part number’ for my particular copy). That table is shown below, and my results from this test are listed immediately below the FSM diagram.

My results from checking my ignition switch plugs per the above FSM diagram are:

8 to 7: continuous
8 to 5: sometimes continuous, sometimes not
7 to 5: sometimes continuous, sometimes not
4 to 2: sometimes continuous, sometimes not.
4 to 1: continuous.
2 to 1: continuous.
9 to 10: continuous in all “Normal” positions (I tested with the key in the ‘Acc’, ‘ON’, and ‘Start’ positions) but not continuous in the “Push” position (which includes the key being in the ‘Lock’ position).

I have a few questions based on my results:
  1. If I’m understanding this diagram correctly, my results for 9 to 10 are the opposite of what the FSM is saying should be true. Am I reading the diagram correctly? - i.e., my switch has failed the continuity check for 9 to 10?
  2. On my truck, the pin 5 position on the harness-side plug for the ignition switch is blank (see 1st pic below), even though this FSM diagram for the ignition switch plug has continuity requirements for pin 5, and the ignition switch plug DOES have a wire going to the pin 5 position (see 2nd pic below). Why is the harness side blank at pin 5, but the switch side HAS a wire at pin 5?

The harness-side plug that mates to my ignition switch plug and is blank at the pin 5 position.

My ignition switch plug (just for reference).

3) The intermittent continuity readings recorded above - I’m guessing these indicate that my switch is worn out, likely due at least in part to my starter relay being wired incorrectly from the factory? (I feel like maybe this is an obvious conclusion, but I’m no electrical engineer and I’m not too experienced with these vehicles.) FYI, I verified that my truck is wired incorrectly based on RAD4Runner’s *excellent* explanation here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...93/index4.html

Thank you very much!

Last edited by Marshall.A; 10-13-2020 at 01:11 PM.