Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1986 4x4 whining...........help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mojomarj
chefyota4x4---i take it the bell housing is the clutch housing cover unit thing....right?(Yes, it's the hollow vessel where the Clutch Kit and throwout and all them goodies are, lol) and yes...i really don't want to replace the tranny...hopefully that's not the problem and it's just a bad seal and all i have to do is redo the clutch. that type of work seems a bit too much on my plate....mind you i'm mechanically inclined but not familiar with clutch/tranny dropping work.(You can do it, whatever it is, Mojo... Just do your research and ask whatever you need, and I and I'm sure many other FAR MORE experienced Yota guys will chime in to help you through it..... I'm speaking of doing the rear main, trans seal, etc., btw. You might not need to rebuild the trans or replace the clutch...maybe just one...but you wont know until you drop the trans, ya know? That's not a huge deal, just rent a trans jack from an A1 Rental supply place, or build a platform, then drop it down and slide it out to do the trans seal, if needed----which, if you're loosing gear oil, Mojo.....I mean, it's got to be leaking from somewhere, right?--- And then, if you KNOW you're leaking motor oil from inside the bell housing, you can KNOW it's the rear main....no where else oil could leak from inside of there, ya know? Then, you'd pull the clutch assembly out, inspect, clean, or have it inspected,....inspect your flywheel for hot spots, etc., and then either slap in a new clutch kit or just the disc or whatever. You might have to have your flywheel resurfaced, if it's got enough left on it or doesn't have hot spots. Mine did, so I replaced it(they couldn't clean it up without going past the limits on my orig one.)... ALL of this is just bolts and parts that with some research, getting the right torque specs, etc., you CAN do, yourself(might be good to have some help.... especially lowering the trans, but even that, you can do solo with the right tools/jack).

callin all yota tinkerers...are any of you in my area? i'm in chino,ca maybe you can take a quick peek...i'll buy the beers! (I might be able to come by, but it's a really tough time of year for me to find a whole day, ya know? Chef+Holidays=INSANITY, lol. Can't promise anything, but I'll see what I can do. For now, YOU CAN drop that tranny w/bell housing attached and see if that's where you're leaking gear oil.....I would imagine the motor oil and gear oil would be mixing and draining out the inspection port on the BHousing, right guys?(if they're both leaking, I mean). You are losing MOTOR OIL, too, right Mojo????)
I'll check in to see what you say about the motor oil and whether or not you decide you want to tear into it.

Best wishes,

Mark
Old 11-30-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark---hahaha... you should be a motivational speaker i'm feeling more and more confident every time i read your reply . i've never done major work like this and am a bit overwhelmed by it, but I am a boilermaker so i should be able to figure it out (with some help). i checked the engine oil and the oil is still there....FULL. it might take me a week or so to really tear into it but i'll geek out and read and find info and cram as much of it into my brain b4 i start breakin the bolts loose. don't worry about headin out here i totally understand the holidays are wearin everyone thin...(this x-mas music is already making me want to jam a pencil in my eye ) i'm here visiting family so i guess if i get stuck on workin on "ol' pepa" it won't be so bad. I'll also ask my sister's husband i think he might have all the chit i need and some help if need be. as for questions......there's gonna be alot of it next week. BHousing inspection port? that's just the square hole that the clutch release arm goes into...yes? also will over-filling the tranny oil make the excess ooze out? if so, should i just drive it around a bit more then pressure wash underneath it and look to see if it's leaking out?
Old 11-30-2010, 02:29 PM

Mark---hahaha... you should be a motivational speaker i'm feeling more and more confident every time i read your reply . i've never done major work like this and am a bit overwhelmed by it, but I am a boilermaker so i should be able to figure it out (with some help). i checked the engine oil and the oil is still there....FULL. it might take me a week or so to really tear into it but i'll geek out and read and find info and cram as much of it into my brain b4 i start breakin the bolts loose. don't worry about headin out here i totally understand the holidays are wearin everyone thin...(this x-mas music is already making me want to jam a pencil in my eye ) i'm here visiting family so i guess if i get stuck on workin on "ol' pepa" it won't be so bad. I'll also ask my sister's husband i think he might have all the chit i need and some help if need be. as for questions......there's gonna be alot of it next week. BHousing inspection port? that's just the square hole that the clutch release arm goes into...yes? also will over-filling the tranny oil make the excess ooze out? if so, should i just drive it around a bit more then pressure wash underneath it and look to see if it's leaking out?
Hahaha... well, I try to be positive! lol. Plus, I mean, you're hear, aren't you? So, whether we WANT to work on them as often as we do or not.... at least we're saving CABBAGE when we do, eh????? lol.

Far as 'overfill'....not sure what you mean. When it's full, it begins to pour out the fill/level check hole, ya know? Not sure I catch yer meanin, lol.

Where, EXACTLY, is it leakin from, that you can tell, Mojo? Can you clean it up and tell me if it's coming from the bell housing or if it's actually from one of the major seals, further back? Kinda hard to tell without knowing where it's coming from. Also, usually, you can tell gear oil from motor oil. If it's leaking gear oil, it's MUCH thicker, and it actually, from my experience, smells like, ...well, you know. Where as, Motor oil doesn't have that sulfuric smell as much. Bottom line, if you're DEFINITELY losing gear oil(meaning, if you're having to keep filling it), then you're gonna need to find the leak, right? When you pull the plug on the side, where you fill it, ....are you sticking something in there to measure, and you can see it's noticeably down from the last check? That would help. Also, if you're leaking motor oil veryyyyyyyy slowly from the rear main, it could still be not showing as much on the dipstick, but still be effecting over time the clutch assembly/disc especially. Yeah, look in, with a mirror and plenty of light, toward the clutch, seeing if there is any oil dripping out from just under the clutch assembly... that would be more leaning toward rear main. But again, if it's THAT MUCH OIL, and your motor oil is staying high on the stick and not dropping....I guess it's got to be a gear oil leak, yeah?
Old 11-30-2010, 03:00 PM

Far as 'overfill'....not sure what you mean. When it's full, it begins to pour out the fill/level check hole, ya know? Not sure I catch yer meanin, lol.
when i added the gear oil I squeezed in enough to where it was pouring out and then i screwed in the plug.

Where, EXACTLY, is it leakin from, that you can tell, Mojo? Can you clean it up and tell me if it's coming from the bell housing or if it's actually from one of the major seals, further back? Kinda hard to tell without knowing where it's coming from.i'll clean it up underneath and roll around the 'hood and check if i can locate where it's leaking. the release arm is super wet and so is the boot that is supposed to go over it. (the boot is just hanging off at this point) and everything else from that point and behind. Also, usually, you can tell gear oil from motor oil. If it's leaking gear oil, it's MUCH thicker, and it actually, from my experience, smells like, ...well, you know. Where as, Motor oil doesn't have that sulfuric smell as much.the oil that i checked on the ground was pretty thick that's why i jumped the gun and figured it was gear oil Bottom line, if you're DEFINITELY losing gear oil(meaning, if you're having to keep filling it), then you're gonna need to find the leak, right? When you pull the plug on the side, where you fill it, ....are you sticking something in there to measure, and you can see it's noticeably down from the last check? never thought about sticking something into the fill hole....i was just using my pinky finger. what do you suggest? I'll undo the fill plug to see if oil pours out.That would help. Also, if you're leaking motor oil veryyyyyyyy slowly from the rear main, it could still be not showing as much on the dipstick, but still be effecting over time the clutch assembly/disc especially. Yeah, look in, with a mirror and plenty of light, toward the clutch, seeing if there is any oil dripping out from just under the clutch assembly... that would be more leaning toward rear main. But again, if it's THAT MUCH OIL, and your motor oil is staying high on the stick and not dropping....I guess it's got to be a gear oil leak, yeah? when i clean everything up i'll stick a mirror into that bell housing and snoop around if i don't get to it today i'll do it tomorrow
starting to lose the sun......and the chill is settting in. thanks for setting a starting point cuz' staring underneath there and scratching my head wasn't stopping the leak

Last edited by mojomarj; 11-30-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:06 PM

when i added the gear oil I squeezed in enough to where it was pouring out and then i screwed in the plug. Gotcha; So, it's probably just full. If it's leaking out the outer trans seal, behind the bell housing, then that might leak a lil more when it's full, but it's still going to leak as the gears splash it all over, if the seal is really compromised,....I would imagine, anyway. And, if it's soaking wet on that release arm.....more than likely, if you're not losing oil, it's the trans seal leaking down the bell housing then out the path of least resistance...MOST LIKELY, lol. Can't see where else trans fluid could leak from but that spot, inside of that housing.

starting to lose the sun......and the chill is settting in. thanks for setting a starting point cuz' staring underneath there and scratching my head wasn't stopping the leak
I hear ya....... you'll find it, simply by using a good POE(process of elim.)

PS> I thought you were living in Chino, now....NO?

I'm heading out, but I'll be back around 10pm... letcha know if I think of anything else that might help.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:35 PM

sweet.....i'll clean'er up and try to do as much with the light that's left.
i'm in chino for a small bit.....for the holiday and i'm helping my mom out with my dad....he's half paralyzed from a recent stroke.
but any hoot.....i'll get this chit started!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:08 PM

Sorry to hear about Pop's ..... both my parents have had strokes.... and they've nearly fully recovered(aside from some perseveration-mixing up words)... It was tough, scary, and I feel for ya, Mojo! He AND your mom and yourself are in my prayers.

Yeah, just take a fresh look at it tomorrow and check it out one by one....what else can ya do, right? lol.

Have a good night,

Mark
Old 12-13-2010, 02:32 PM

whoa....what a busy week and a half. so i checked under there (BHousing) and there's sooo muck gunk in there, i cleaned up as much as i can and stuck a mirror in there but i couldn't get the angle right for the light. so my sister's newly husband is gonna give me a hand with the truck. we're gonna drop the tranny and clutch and check out the seals and resurface the flywheel if need be. i'll jump back on here if some random nonsense happens.
thanks guys for all your input and help........i'm hoping it's just the TO bearing and the seals and the new clutch will fix this mystery whining!!!
CHEERS!!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 03:10 PM

Best wishes, bud!