86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1986 4Runner 22RE rough idle, rich, no power

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you ever fix it?

Hi Alan, and THook, and all the other brothers helping!

Did you ever get your 86 runner fixed? I am having the same problem, with the same results, and have found no solution in any thread or anywhere online.

My truck started doing this after a new set of headers, removal of the CAT, and trying to swap the airbox with a K&N kit.

I have sought the help of a professional mechanic, and multiple 22RE performance shops, with no joy.

If you, or anyone reading has a fix, I'd appreciate it. If I can't fix it, I don't know what to do - this Yota is in almost mint condition except for this problem (which makes it not run!!!).

Thanks and Merry Christmas,

Bob - SW Florida

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic
It's been 3 weeks and no improvement. The 86 has consumed me and all of my spare time. I think I will stick to bodywork. LOL It might be cheaper for me to get the 89 buttoned up. It needs exhaust gaskets, water pump and might as well do the chain and dampners etc. Not sure yet what I will do. I might check to see what it would cost me to have somebody (mechanic) come to the house.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:25 PM

It boiled down to the ECM, after replacing and repairing several other items. Good luck with your problems. I got my ECM off ebay.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:23 AM

Thank you!

Alan,

Thank you very much! Will keep working on it.

Bob

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic
It boiled down to the ECM, after replacing and repairing several other items. Good luck with your problems. I got my ECM off ebay.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:24 AM

Just for grins, have you ever checked to see if you have a thermostat?
Old 12-16-2012, 02:38 PM

Hi Jeff,
I have not checked to see if a thermostat is present. I'm not a mechanic, what effect might this have beside temperature control? Thanks!
Bob

Originally Posted by jeff34484
Just for grins, have you ever checked to see if you have a thermostat?
Old 06-17-2020, 12:46 PM

How to get this book ?pls

[QUOTE=Alan's Classic;51466781]Thanks Thook

My thermostat housing doesn't have that sensor. There aren't any holes for one. Still wandering what this engine came out of.

I unplugged the TPS while running and no change.

Here are the flow charts in the manual for testing the O2. I tested both the new one and put the old one back in. Both read the same. There a series of steps I couldn't do due to limited components and know how. I notated the ones I couldn't do. There is no movement at all on the meter at 2500. I have hooked up a temp tach for the time being. It's not looking good for the O2, but since I can't perform the last set of test I can't confirm. In the last result it has an option either bad O2 or lean condition. I know it is not lean. Too much soot and if I unhooked the PCV and creat a major vac leak it runs really good since it is leaning it out. The new O2 is a Bosch.

I've been talking to a Toyota Tech and he doesn't have a lot of experience with the 22RE, but there are some old timers there that have experience. They mentioned that I should use an analog meter and measure the OX signal at the check connector and should see a steady swing there as well.

I have circled in red my values.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:48 PM

[QUOTE = Alan Classic؛ 51466781] شكرًا Thook

لا يحتوي مبيت الترموستات على هذا المستشعر. لا توجد ثقوب لأحد. لا يزال يتجول ما خرج به هذا المحرك.

قمت بفصل TPS أثناء التشغيل ولا تغيير.

فيما يلي مخططات التدفق في دليل اختبار O2. اختبرت كل من الجديد وأعد القديم. كلاهما يقرأان نفس الشيء. هناك سلسلة من الخطوات التي لم أتمكن من القيام بها بسبب محدودية المكونات ومعرفة كيف. لقد لاحظت تلك التي لم أستطع فعلها. لا توجد حركة على الإطلاق في العداد عند 2500. لقد قمت بتوصيل تاش مؤقت في الوقت الحالي. إنه لا يبدو جيدًا بالنسبة لـ O2 ، ولكن نظرًا لأنني لا أستطيع إجراء آخر مجموعة من الاختبارات ، فلا يمكنني التأكيد. في النتيجة الأخيرة لديها خيار إما سوء O2 أو حالة هزيلة. أعلم أنه ليس هزيلاً. الكثير من السخام وإذا قمت بإلغاء ربط PCV وخلق تسرب كبير بطالة ، فإنه يعمل بشكل جيد حقًا لأنه يميل إليه. إن O2 الجديد Bosch.

لقد كنت أتحدث إلى شركة Toyota Tech ولا يمتلك الكثير من الخبرة مع 22RE ، ولكن هناك بعض أجهزة ضبط الوقت القديمة التي لديها خبرة. ذكروا أنني يجب أن أستخدم عدادًا تناظريًا وقياس إشارة OX في موصل الاختيار ويجب أن أرى تأرجحًا ثابتًا هناك أيضًا.

لقد دارت في قيمي الحمراء.

Attachment 186570

Attachment 186571[/ QUOTE]