84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Snorkel/air box ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 03:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rokblok
A 60 series snorkel won't sit flush. The only one I have found is a somewhat generic one on eBay that is mounted on the passenger side fender.

I haven't done mine yet, and my 3RZ cracked the head a few weeks ago, but I figured I would just re-do my driver side of engine compartment and make room for a box for an air filter. Then just plumb it over the fan area and into the plenum. Then I could use the Safari or TJM snorkel, which mounts to the driver fender.
What caused your Z to crack the head brother? Now you got me worried about mine.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SqWADoosh
What caused your Z to crack the head brother? Now you got me worried about mine.
No one can tell me for certain. But my thought is: Because I he the engine rebuilt using LCE master kit. By a local machine shop whom I was told did good work. Well I ordered ARP head studs from LCE but they didn't come in until a few days after the master kit. Well by this time the machine shop had already finished with the motor, even though I told them to wait because head studs were on the way. They had re-used the OE TTY(torque-to-yield) head bolts...
I'm sure they were weak and stretched allowing the gasket to blow, which can create very hot spots in the head, which can crack it.

If you haven't rebuilt it, don't. Unless it's absolutely necessary. If you have to rebuild it make sure to use new TTY head bolts or ARP studs.

My 3RZ has been flawless until this head fiasco. You will love it. It made my truck feel like a fun truck to drive again.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:48 AM

No one can tell me for certain. But my thought is: Because I he the engine rebuilt using LCE master kit. By a local machine shop whom I was told did good work. Well I ordered ARP head studs from LCE but they didn't come in until a few days after the master kit. Well by this time the machine shop had already finished with the motor, even though I told them to wait because head studs were on the way. They had re-used the OE TTY(torque-to-yield) head bolts...
I'm sure they were weak and stretched allowing the gasket to blow, which can create very hot spots in the head, which can crack it.

If you haven't rebuilt it, don't. Unless it's absolutely necessary. If you have to rebuild it make sure to use new TTY head bolts or ARP studs.

My 3RZ has been flawless until this head fiasco. You will love it. It made my truck feel like a fun truck to drive again.
Oh I won't be rebuilding mine. Its only got 49k on the clock Sorry to hear about that brother. That sucks a fat one. So what is your plan going forward?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:52 AM

I gotta save a few Benjis and get a new head. I already did a gasket and put the ARPs on, which didn't change anything, so I will get another gasket set and a new head and try it again.

Although I did think about pulling it out and putting in a 4.7... If I can find a decent Lexus, I may do that. Plus my wife is itching for her 3.4 swap to get done on her Runner, plus my FJ40 misses me...
Old 06-04-2014, 07:15 PM

I gotta save a few Benjis and get a new head. I already did a gasket and put the ARPs on, which didn't change anything, so I will get another gasket set and a new head and try it again.

Although I did think about pulling it out and putting in a 4.7... If I can find a decent Lexus, I may do that. Plus my wife is itching for her 3.4 swap to get done on her Runner, plus my FJ40 misses me...
LOL I wish I had so many Yotas. I have aspirations of having 2 one day. The Z wasn't enough for you that you would consider doing a second swap?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:52 PM

With 35" tires(Toyos), 4.88 gears, and a 3RZ, it felt like a healthy stock truck. Not a rocket ship by any means. It got decent mileage (17-19mpg) and was very reliable. I do not regret the swap at all, but sometimes I wouldn't mind having a little V8 fun, that's all. That little extra oomph to pass someone quickly, or roast the 35s around a corner, that kind of thing. The 3RZ makes it feel stock with the heavier tires and bumpers and such. It loves to rev and never fails to do so, and never gives a reason to stop doing it.

Upon disassembly for the head gasket, examining the cylinder walls shows a beautiful crosshatch pattern (80K miles since rebuilt), and I revealed the same thing when I got the motor (at 140K miles) and had it rebuilt and bored 0.020. So the motor wears awesome with Royal Purple 10W-30. Lol. You will love the swap, just don't expect to be doing wheelies...
Old 06-06-2014, 03:58 AM

With 35" tires(Toyos), 4.88 gears, and a 3RZ, it felt like a healthy stock truck. Not a rocket ship by any means. It got decent mileage (17-19mpg) and was very reliable. I do not regret the swap at all, but sometimes I wouldn't mind having a little V8 fun, that's all. That little extra oomph to pass someone quickly, or roast the 35s around a corner, that kind of thing. The 3RZ makes it feel stock with the heavier tires and bumpers and such. It loves to rev and never fails to do so, and never gives a reason to stop doing it.

Upon disassembly for the head gasket, examining the cylinder walls shows a beautiful crosshatch pattern (80K miles since rebuilt), and I revealed the same thing when I got the motor (at 140K miles) and had it rebuilt and bored 0.020. So the motor wears awesome with Royal Purple 10W-30. Lol. You will love the swap, just don't expect to be doing wheelies...
Right on. Yeah I don't expect nor desire v8 power. I just want to be able to go over the pass and maybe tow a pop-up camper. Stuff like that.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:29 AM

The 3RZ will do that just fine. You can rev the wee out of it and it will just keep going. Get a strong clutch, be sure to have a good solid W-series trans, or even a good R151 would be better. I've blown a G trans and my W56-B is showing signs of needing some love. But it had 200K miles on it when I swapped it in, so I think a good, solid W trans would hold up great.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:59 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
A 60 series snorkel won't sit flush...
...my 3RZ cracked the head...

Sorry about your cracked 3RZ head, Rokblok.

Guys, please keep us posted if you find any off-the-shelf snorkel that would fit on the right side of the first-gen 4Runner. I do not plan any water crossing but:
  • I want my intake elevated farther away from desert sand,
  • Don't want to make air path any longer or restrictive,
  • and want to minimize the path between AFM and Throttle body and minimize potential for any leak that would affect the fuel-air system.

Therefore, a battery-intake swap would help my objectives.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Sorry about your cracked 3RZ head, Rokblok.

Guys, please keep us posted if you find any off-the-shelf snorkel that would fit on the right side of the first-gen 4Runner. I do not plan any water crossing but:
  • I want my intake elevated farther away from desert sand,
  • Don't want to make air path any longer or restrictive,
  • and want to minimize the path between AFM and Throttle body and minimize potential for any leak that would affect the fuel-air system.

Therefore, a battery-intake swap would help my objectives.

Will let you know if I do. Its not looking hopeful at this point though. I'm not willing to spend the money on the chance that I can get one modified to work.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:53 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
The Taco snorkel above , looks promising. Less area to worry about getting flush. However it would require 2 more 90-degree bends inside the fender.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:19 AM

The 3RZ will do that just fine. You can rev the wee out of it and it will just keep going. Get a strong clutch, be sure to have a good solid W-series trans, or even a good R151 would be better. I've blown a G trans and my W56-B is showing signs of needing some love. But it had 200K miles on it when I swapped it in, so I think a good, solid W trans would hold up great.
Yeah it will have a W-56 behind it.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:12 AM

Bringing this back from another death. Any progress on getting a snorkel on the passenger side anyone?
Old 01-16-2015, 05:21 PM

I was once again thinking about this today and I had a thought. Are there any 1st gen hilux surfs that had diesel or "petrol", as the aussies say it, engines stock with an intake on the passenger side? If so then we could just look for an ARB snorkel for that application and then should work for our 3RZs!
Old 01-18-2015, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a great potential solution for an airbox with a weber. so far it's cost me $3.50, I'll keep you all posted once I get some time to tinker. This should just about mount right on my weber!
Old 03-23-2015, 02:38 PM

This is my home built snorkel. I run though pretty tight bush and didn't want a big snorkel that would get ripped off so I built my own. I used 2' ABS pipe and fittings that I attached to the body using four hose clamps held on with 3/16 rivets. Under the hood I attached a large sewer pipe with a removable cap to my airbox using windhield urethane (much better than silicone) then plumbed it up to the snorkel. For every day driving I leave the cap off but install it for off-roading and water crossings.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:44 PM