84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

PCV and air ventilation on valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 09:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
PCV and air ventilation on valve cover

So i was noticing tonight when I was adjusting the timing on my 20r/22r setup that there was some oil coming from the "filter" that was just on top of my valve cover on the front ventilation spot. On the back one where the PCV is there is a hose that goes to the air cleaner directly from the pcv. I was taking a look at the FSM for these two items and they have it lined out as follows. The PCV routes directly to the intake mani and the other air ventilator spot (foremost on the truck) should be going to the air filter on the carb. At least that is how I interpreted it.

What kind of setups do you guys have on this? I only ask because there was some oil bubbling at the base of the breather filter on the very font ventilation on the valve cover and that doesn't seem like it should be happening. Too much pressure in there? Any ideas or pics of your setup would help out.

Edit: I'm running a 32/36 weber with all egr crap removed.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you have blow by, motors tired
Old 07-02-2011, 04:32 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
i borrowed this pic from
Originally Posted by ducatipaso
I just ordered the weber DGEV 32/36...hopefully will end up with a similar set up.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:03 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by nightstalker
you have blow by, motors tired
Some blowby is normal even on a rebuilt engine. As ocdropzone mentioned that's the way to go with the weber setup. You can also take the cover off and tap the front hole for a plug and just run 1 filter in the back. Some people do argue though that causes extra valve train wear not running a PCV system. I am not sure if I believe that or not though. I do notice my rebuilt engine actually runs better without the PCV system hooked up. I am also running a weber.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:51 AM

I highly doubt that the engine is tired. It checks out in every aspect and I have spent a lot of time being sure that it is near 100% capacity with the setup it has. A leakdown shows 6% loss on two cylinders and 10-12% on the other 2, which is a pretty decent leakdown on a cold engine. It was rebuilt probably 1.5-2yrs ago and doesn't have many miles on it, of course if I would have built it it would have different parts and stuff, but I bought it off a guy who was upgrading to a v8 small block. Octo, if you need any help with the weber install let me know. I've pretty much got it down and am working on rejetting and fine tuning mine.

Extreme, did you eliminate the PCV so that air will flow in both directions with the filter hooked up at the back of the valve cover or did you put a filter on over the PCV?
Old 07-02-2011, 11:17 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
lol don't ask. As of right now I haven't done anything to mine but plug up the vacuum hose on the pcv valve and unhook the breather from the air filter and tape off the bottom of the weber air filter housing. BTW that truck above is NOT mine. As much as I wish it was. lol.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:35 AM

Hmm.... I'll have to do some more research. Check this out and see if you read it like I am. It looks like the PCV runs right into the intake manifold and the front ventilation point runs into the air filter. I also went to JToutfitters and looked at there install as this is where I got my 32/36 and they suggest the same thing that I am saying as well. I had a standard 22r before getting the hybrid and this is how I had it hooked up. I kept the setup I have now b/c that is what the guy had on the hybrid when I bought it from him (pcv into air filter and front has a filter). My question may be is if the negative pressure coming from the intake stabilize the pressure or if it will do it by itself w/o that negative pressure from the intake. Seems like if it will do it by its self then it would be best to just put filters on both points b/c then you aren't getting hot air into the intake from the engine at all. This is just my analysis and thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails PCV and air ventilation on valve cover-pcv-ventilation.gif  
Old 07-11-2011, 08:07 AM

I haven't gotten around to switching anything around yet b/c I've been busy working on other things and have been out of town, but I did drive it several days back on the highway for about 50 miles. I do have a couple leaky intake valves that could be causing the issue. They aren't bad at all, but a small leak could cause the pressure I suppose. Anyways, I think by either porting the pcv directly to intake or just using a filter on both it will get rid of this or minimize it and allow the engine to run better.